• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ICEpower 200AC & 200ASC Review (Class D Amp)

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Thanks Amir. I keep being tempted to grab some of these for a 2 channel music amp off Parts Express, my preferred retailer for DIY stuff, just because these are probably the best modules they sell. It is good to know the performance is like this. I see why these are often used for subwoofers and woofers. From their AP data, the more powerful modules are almost proportionally noisier too, so if you get the big one, you really don't want it running your tweeters if you are picky. I guess if you need exactly this much power, if you insist on buying from PE, or if you need a small cool package and at this price point, there is an application for this in a music amp. I can pay a little more for some performance (Hypex or Purifi) or use my less powerful but otherwise superior A30. For a 2 channel setup, Loxjie A30, the $150 Yamaha receiver, or the one from Sony make more sense.

vkvedam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Interesting, I wonder how the XTZ Edge would perform on the bench. @amirm has anyone approached you with this?

Trouble Maker

@Buckeye Amps is assembling some in the US now that seem to have much better build quality for very reasonable prices.
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...amplifier-builder-line-up-announcement.16835/

I'm not sure about the comparison, they are both about 1.6x the price of the one Amirm reviewed here.

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

dtaylo1066

Interesting as always. Makes me glad I went with Hypex modules in my DIY amp.

gvl

Major Contributor
8 ohm speakers are so rare though. By far the most common impedance I see is 4 ohm. Hence the dashboard load. :)

Valid point, but according to manufacturer's plots these modules seem to perform better into 8Ohm loads, so perhaps anyone using them with such loads can feel a bit better :)

gvl

Major Contributor
Well, you have the sweep for either load so all you have to do is look up the 5 watt line and get the dashboard SINAD value.

True, but I'm sure some just stop at the dashboard :)

Bruce Morgen

Forum Donor
Plus somewhat of a thing to get the power supply required for max output.

I have a couple of Aiyima A07s and have found that a 48VDC 10A SMPS is adequate -- in fact, probably way more than enough -- to avoid even the slightest semblance of clipping or "sag," at even the loudest endurable volumes. If my experience with generic Chinese SMPSs is any guide, if you get one with an "always on" cooling fan, you can open up the case and safely unplug that fan because the A07's typical current draw is way below 10 A -- it only draws a lot of current on occasional musical peaks at high volumes, which isn't enough to heat things up to the point where fan cooling is required. I've never spent more than $35 USD for an SMPS -- and you can always hook up some additional shunt capacitance to further smooth the DC and prevent clipping/sag on loud bass notes.

Last edited:

Trouble Maker

On cost difference with other amps, remember that the $310 price doesn't include labor. You have to put this amp together yourself for that cost.

But my time is free! o_O
Everyone should be happy there are options for 'a little more money' that are assembled. I can't get any contractors to come and get quotes on almost anything I ever try to do in our house. Or they ignore parameters either because they just don't listen, or to drive the price up/down. So I just do all of it myself. It takes more time but they end result is better anyway for a lower price... if I ignore my labor.

Davelemi

Forum Donor
I built this setup for my outdoor speakers understanding that it wouldn’t have the greatest measurements but 1) it’s for my pool deck 2) I enjoy building things

maltux

Can't believe I just noticed this review now. I usually check everyday. I built this amplifier in 2020 and the results displayed here make me kind of sad. I really do not notice any bad harmonics whilst listening to it but still now I know and my ears will believe they hear a difference. Damn you ASR!! :(

IMG_20200115_175002333.jpg

IMG_20200115_173848558.jpg

Possibly the silver faceplate makes all the difference? :facepalm:

XaVierDK

Can't believe I just noticed this review now. I usually check everyday. I built this amplifier in 2020 and the results displayed here make me kind of sad. I really do not notice any bad harmonics whilst listening to it but still now I know and my ears will believe they hear a difference. Damn you ASR!! :(

View attachment 103148

View attachment 103147

Possibly the silver faceplate makes all the difference? :facepalm:
I don't wanna be too much of an apologist, but there's a reason B&O and ICEpower spec'ed them like this back in the day. Musically it's perfectly fine unless you're driving extreme levels of with extremely sensitive speakers.

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I'd buy a 15 year old class A or AB design, but not a class D design.

chad2

i also have this amplifier and love it! but i have always wondered if you could clean up the signal by removing all of the JST connectors and soldering the appropriate sized solid core wire in place. i am in the navy and i am a micro/mini solder tech. i have currently been a solder tech for the navy for 4 and 1/2 years. this job would not be hard at all but i feel as if it could actually clean the signal up? but again idk, does anyone have any thoughts on this?

Top Bottom