• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex Nilai500DIY Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 74 19.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 287 75.7%

• Total voters

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. I was reading your comment out of context and just thinking about musical content being masked.
That is specifically what I was talking about though ;)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir didn’t measure differences in the cable itself. He saw differences after the audio device by changing a *digital * cable. It’s not audible but more about encountering something for the first time. Sort of like fusion ignition. We care about actually delivering power but it’s exciting to achieve ignition. That review is still a “first” to see a digital cable having an effect after an audio device.
Not quite nuclear physics level stuff. A DAC has an analog part that is susceptible to ground loops etc.
Even if the difference is volume, what was the dB difference in that test that was experienced as differences in the piano track?
Seems 1-2 dB is enough to do the trick - assuming the differences were actually real.
Yes, because referring to someone’s opinion means I agree with them on everything they write… :facepalm:
@maty is not just "someone". :)

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hard to follow you here. FR is not related to noise.
If it had any type of restriction (filter/limiter/name it) preventing it from going over the freqs where 2nd,3rd,etc harmonics are evident then we could suspect otherwise.

Sokel

Master Contributor
That's pretty much what I assumed and wrote in my initial post about the troublesome -75THD: it's all/mostly extra HD.
Looks like I might have been just right about that. Incredible :D

Not sure why ~100 extra posts happened in the meantime .. a case of the good old shi.t happens, I guess ..
It is,but I'm also in the camp saying that there's no way hearing that,it's way beyond what we can hear.
Been a newbie in measurements and excited about it I have measured things in ways that I maybe shouldn't,adding distortion,changing phase angles,extreme bandwidth,etc.
The times I have seen audible components are always IMD or clipping,intersample overloads,etc.

Sokel

Master Contributor
Comments like: "Did these @Alpha Audio guys know something more that we mortals don't? It was a good laugh that they seemed to be serious about it." are not really inviting. They actually hurt... We are human beings as well you know.
My comment so let me make myself clear.
Comment is not about people themselves,it's about practice and conditions.I also do a lot of things that are a joke and when I realize I'm the first to admit and laugh with them.

I would suggest you do a little reading,research,etc about how you make your tests valid and also put the right tags at things you compare.
There was no intention to insult you,I don't do that,have a look at all of my posts.

(and there are people more direct than Dutch,I know it comes as a surprise when it goes the other way)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello @boXem. What is the ~operating frequency range of the power supply used in the Hypex gear? :D

Sokel

Master Contributor
That's not how noise shaping works. It has no relation with FR.
Did I mentioned noise shaping?
We already know that from this:

index.php

What I said is that if the amp's FR was reduced to 25Kz for example (as some older did or some pro do) there could not be any harmonics of 15Khz there,so what's left?
(not the case here of course)

lashto

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is,but I'm also in the camp saying that there's no way hearing that,it's way beyond what we can hear.
Fine with me. I am not saying that this particular -75 THD is always or surely audible.

Your "not audible" position is however quite a bit stronger and much harder to prove. You 'just' need a DBT (it's another one of those things that can't be proven with "just logic")
And then you need to figure out an age-old question: how does one prove a negative?

Just saying :)

ivo.f.doma

Btw, was asked recently about the Nilia and I do not have any personally. I only received units from Hypex to build for Amir. I did listen to it and liked how quiet it was. Not a fan of the standby switch as I power my system from an intelligent surge protector. Would I upgrade to Nilai if I had a newer Hypex Ncore or Purifi? Only if I needed the additional power...

Aside from what I already mentioned, one oddity is the gain levels. They do not match exactly to any other Hypex unit I have used.

Hope this helps!
And which of these, Purifi, Ncore, NcoreMP, NcoreX, Nilai, has the lowest noise level with the amp on and no signal? And which ones are the quietest (speaker crackling) when turning on and off?
well thank you

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And which of these, Purifi, Ncore, NcoreMP, NcoreX, Nilai, has the lowest noise level with the amp on and no signal? And which ones are the quietest (speaker crackling) when turning on and off?
well thank you

If you are asking if I hear any noise diff between them, I have not done a side by side comparison. Clearly most of them measure very close in that respect. The NcoreMP has the highest noise level and cannot hear any using my normal setup (MacBook USB>SMSL M200 XLR>amp>Purifi SPK5.5).

I have only had any significant power noise (pop) when removing AC power on an older NC502MP.

ivo.f.doma

Well thank you! Does your statement about the old MP module mean that there is some new variant of the MP modules?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Excellent information! I haven't read about it anywhere else.
The noise is discussed elsewhere on the forum.

Hypex made an improvement in power handling in the last couple of years. As it only happens under certain conditions, it appears Hypex did not publicize even to OEMs.

ivo.f.doma

I can see that you are extremely knowledgeable and an expert, so I would like to ask you about one crazy AVR wiring option. Class D amplifiers are excellent mainly in the low to mid-high frequencies, while class AB is also excellent in the highest frequencies, I could use an internal AVR amplifier (class AB) for the tweeter and an external class D amplifier for the bass for biamped speakers and the middle band? Of course with matching the gain of both amplifiers?

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can see that you are extremely knowledgeable and an expert, so I would like to ask you about one crazy AVR wiring option. Class D amplifiers are excellent mainly in the low to mid-high frequencies, while class AB is also excellent in the highest frequencies, I could use an internal AVR amplifier (class AB) for the tweeter and an external class D amplifier for the bass for biamped speakers and the middle band? Of course with matching the gain of both amplifiers?

Do not see why not, but this is off topic and you will need to PM me or create another thread to discuss further.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Class D amplifiers are excellent mainly in the low to mid-high frequencies, while class AB is also excellent in the highest frequencies,
What is that claim based on?

ivo.f.doma

At higher frequencies at higher power, their distortion increases non-linearly, and many are filtered out so that they start to drop already below 20kHz. But that is not important, I was more interested in the technical possibility of such a solution, when class AB amplifiers have a straight curve up to about 100kHz.

Top Bottom