• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 397 86.1%

• Total voters

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I hear no noise. This is quite amusing that the entry level amp that cost me £500 is just fine and you don't need to spend thousands of pounds on equipment :)
This is very true.

We just conducted a blind test between a straight wire with gain and a 22 dB sinad amp with a heavy high frequency roll off. While some listeners could hear the difference, and the straight wire with gain had the most votes, the difference didn’t reach statistical significance. It’s much harder to hear differences consistently with all music.

Speakers can make a big difference!

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What kind of load should be expected to require those 400+ watts of power?
Is it designed for a massive low-sensitivity floorstanders? Or subs with 1m woofer?

Just curious, will I reveive any kind of benefits of using such an amp with bookshelf speakers at home? Or 100-200w Hypex module will sound just the same?

(P.s. sorry for my low theoretical basis and dumb questions:) )
The power into different load impedances is documented in the data sheet, but no, it doesn't take unusual loads to get them to deliver full power. You might not want to do it if you value your speakers....

Screenshot from 2023-05-04 15-19-40.png

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it designed for a massive low-sensitivity floorstanders? Or subs with 1m woofer?

Just curious, will I reveive any kind of benefits of using such an amp with bookshelf speakers at home? Or 100-200w Hypex module will sound just the same?

Not all bookshelves will handle 400 watts. The JBL XPL 90 is advertised as such. That ends up at 104.8 dB at 12 feet (3 meters).

IMG_7393.jpeg

Thank you for the clarification. That makes sense. Was thinking you might be waiting for the stuff to get even better :)
I chose the wrong words, the core technology is obviously already really good. But more choice will definitely help. I am not that keen yet spending GBP 1000+ because I don't fully understand what benefits I will get over my integrated amps. One appealing property of course is lower power consumption, which is really nice given the energy market.

But you can import other brands as well.
Import duty will raise the cost even further. I might do it next time I travel to Europe, but I don't want the hassle for now.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
More amplifiers available from different manufacturers. Here in the UK I could only find one from Nord Acoustics.
With the starting qualifier that you don't need this- you really don't- there are other superb and reasonably priced offerings in this class from Purifi, Orchard, and Nilai. all available in the UK.

I am also not sure if these amps can perceivably improve the sound even on my floor standers with 2 woofers, which are currently driven by a 50W integrated amplifier.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am also not sure if these amps can perceivably improve the sound even on my floor standers with 2 woofers, which are currently driven by a 50W integrated amplifier.
Depending on where you live (country), you can order one with a trial period and ask details about the return policy, and if you agree, order one and try it yourself to be sure.

With the starting qualifier that you don't need this- you really don't- there are other superb and reasonably priced offerings in this class from Purifi, Orchard, and Nilai. all available in the UK.
Yea, the KJF Audio that Matias linked earlier looks good enough, and I think I would be perfectly content with an NC252MP with its 250W into 8Ohm.

Depending on where you live (country), you can order one with a trial period and ask details about the return policy, and if you agree, order one and try it yourself to be sure.
I might indeed try that with KJF Audio.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yea, the KJF Audio that Matias linked earlier looks good enough, and I think I would be perfectly content with an NC252MP with its 250W into 8Ohm.

I might indeed try that with KJF Audio.
Nord is also with a new line of entry level NCoreMP amps with great prices and 14 day trials.

Nord is also with a new line of entry level NCoreMP amps with great prices and 14 day trials.
Thank you, this one looks good, though I might top up for a version with a nicer enclosure. Is 14 day trial something Nord specifically mentions and promote or is it just what UK (or other countries') law offers to the customers?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you, this one looks good, though I might top up for a version with a nicer enclosure. Is 14 day trial something Nord specifically mentions and promote or is it just what UK (or other countries') law offers to the customers?
Its on his main page, we can ask Collin for more details or other case styles. @boggit10

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Awesome, thanks! I found it now :)
I'll repeat my earlier warning- if your current amps are quiet enough and don't clip at the levels you play them, any sonic improvement with a new amp is almost certainly going to be illusory.

I'll repeat my earlier warning- if your current amps are quiet enough and don't clip at the levels you play them, any sonic improvement with a new amp is almost certainly going to be illusory.
Thanks again and that's why I'm not going to upgrade the amplifier soon. And even if I do it, I'll keep the option of returning it if I don't like one, but then as you say any comparison I make might be biased in favour of more "superior" amp. My question is, though, why even bother with the amplifiers like Purifi Eigentakt or NCx500 for home uses if they provide an excessive power that 95% of users realistically don't need even for big speakers?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is definitely European law. UK might not have gotten rid of it yet.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks again and that's why I'm not going to upgrade the amplifier soon. And even if I do it, I'll keep the option of returning it if I don't like one, but then as you say any comparison I make might be biased in favour of more "superior" amp. My question is, though, why even bother with the amplifiers like Purifi Eigentakt or NCx500 for home uses if they provide an excessive power that 95% of users realistically don't need even for big speakers?
What's the point of a car that can do 250 km/h? :)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I use them because I occasionally clipped the amps in my M10 and needed more power. Since I had the chance to review and measure them, I knew first hand that they were powerful enough for the speakers I use in the room I have, with the music I play.

Some might choose them for non-auditory esthetic reasons: it can be fun to some to own the "best" even when it brings no sonic benefit.

Ornette

• Compactness
  • Cool-running, energy efficient
  • Inexpensive per watt
  • Invariant frequency response vs. (difficult) load
  • You're the other 5%

Top Bottom