• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 400 86.2%

• Total voters

boggit10

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Tested several but always ended up with the Krell Evolution 2250e being better. So it is still in my living room. This means until now I have not been a big fan of classD. Either too harsh or somehow missing musicality.

If the friend of mine had returned the amp this week I will test it against the Krell.

But what I heard yesterday there is a chance the NCx500 be the first classD that might win. I will see…
That would also depend on which buffer is fitted. We are seeing the biggest jump in musicality with our buffer more so than previous modules.
Tested several but always ended up with the Krell Evolution 2250e being better. So it is still in my living room. This means until now I have not been a big fan of classD. Either too harsh or somehow missing musicality.

If the friend of mine had returned the amp this week I will test it against the Krell.

But what I heard yesterday there is a chance the NCx500 be the first classD that might win. I will see…
Would also depend on the type of buffer fitted. First bit if feedback we have received "
Holy s**t balls, they're f***ing immense!

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would also depend on which buffer is fitted. We are seeing the biggest jump in musicality with our buffer more so than previous modules.
Do you have any rational/technical explanation for why that would be? How do you define and measure "musicality"? How much did the musicality jump (in %, or in whatever unit you use to measure musicality)?

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
No buffer in my setup! ADI-2 Pro FS +24dBu setting directly into NCx500 with no buffer. So NCx500 has 11.5dB Gain only.

boggit10

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Do you have any rational/technical explanation for why that would be? How do you define and measure "musicality"? How much did the musicality jump (in %, or in whatever unit you use to measure musicality)?
Yes, getting unsolicited feedback like the above from paying customers using them as intended, to listen to music. I called him giggling he went on to say he can not get his 19 year daughter out of the room and stop dancing. Now that's what I call a good measurement. (one obviously has to take into account where he came from and what he's comparing it too)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, getting unsolicited feedback like the above from paying customers using them as intended, to listen to music.
You have interesting definitions of "rational" and "technical". How about "objective"?

boggit10

Audio Company
Forum Donor
You have interesting definitions of "rational" and "technical". How about "objective"?
Cheers
Though I suspect you asked the question in the same vein as I answered it. Objective: To make people happy, Result!

My job is to bring joy into people's life. I think it's important to also measure rationalise figures in the real world with feedback from people using the amp as intended, after all it's the sole purpose of the device.

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

boggit10

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I'm well aware.
However measurements without a corresponding real world result would be just results I'm demonstrating good measurements have translated into good sound.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm well aware.
However measurements without a corresponding real world result would be just results I'm demonstrating good measurements have translated into good sound.
Can you demonstrate measurements showing the jump in "musicality"?

boggit10

Audio Company
Forum Donor
I hate to be blunt, but your job is actually to make money. Joy doesn't pay bills or taxes, and you can't eat it or drink it. If your customers are happy, then that's a nice side effect, but first and foremost, you need to create a profitable business.

Jim
Correct Jim 100% correct. An honest direct answer and the most important aspect is making money, without it nothing else follows.
We do however have choices and values on how we deliver both and how we treat customers.
Incidentally I have just got in from an evening of house music With DJ Seb Fontaine very enjoyable.

Pritaudio

Any recommendations as what speakers to pair this up with.

with this much power, it may not ’need’ a subwoofer in many circumstances.
maybe just a three way speaker with good eq settings.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Received mine from Rouge Audio yesterday.

I requested a custom build with:
- WBT Binding posts
- Neutik XLR connectors
- Only one Power supply (My horn speakers are 16Ohm so I need the voltage but with less power)
- An additional trigger input that works with 5V
- White frontplane with custom engraving
- No power switch at the front

The amp arrived very well packaged and worked flawlessly right out of the box. I'm going to be running it for a few days now to burn it in before critical listening.

The housing is made of sheet steel. Technically great but missing some glamor and the feeling of high-end quality.

The trigger input is galvanically isolated from the amp to avoid ground loops :) I was wondering about the funny non-standard connector they used for the trigger. It's a connector you'd typically see on power adapters rather than the standard 3.5mm plug. The trigger board completely removes power instead of using the SMPS1200's standby functionality. Maybe they offer that too, but I didn't ask. In the beginning the trigger was only designed for 12V but I need it to work with 5V as well. Francesco was kind enough to switch it to 5V. I really appreciate that he didn't ask for an extra fee for this change!

Like to share some photos here.
Is no one going to comment on the "burn in" claim?

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These would fit very well (passive isobaric subwoofer): Link

On my purifis it is a dream ;)
Or you could go with the original Isobariks. I converted mine to actives using NC400's and DSP.

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Had my listening comparison between NCx500 and Krell Evolution 2250e yesterday night.

Before I comment my impressions I had to say that my horns, currently driven by the Krell are a bit "special". They use custom built full range drivers from AER that have an impedance of 16Ohms. They are open backwards. If you are interested on how the whole thing looks like please click here and here.

Also the setup is 2x2 active with active woofers and the Krell only drives the horns. Crossover and DRC calibration is implemented with FIR filters in Roon. As the ADI-2/4 has four outputs (two XLR and two symmetric TRS) this perfectly fits.

The Krell is located in my working room in the basement directly below the white sideboard right below the ceiling so no long wires at all.

IMG_7351.jpg

I installed the NCx500 amp side by side and use an XLR Y-Cable to connect both to the ADI-2/4 XLR outputs. As the amplification of the Krell it quite high I installed a voltage divider of -11dB right in front of the XLR inputs of the Krell. This is my regular setup so nothing new here regarding the listening test.

Before the comparison I did a measurement at 1000Hz showing me I had to adjust volume with the NCx500 in place by additional -3dB.

Now the result of the listening session: In one word: Poor!

The sound was edgy and spiky and not at all suitable for prolonged listening with the NCx500 power amp. One of my HiFi buddies (a musician) was there too. He had the same perception as I had, specifically regarding the naturalness of the instruments. We switched speakers back and forth, but the overall impression stayed the same.

Now I have to solve the riddle why the NCx500 sounds so amazing on a "normal" speaker and fails completely on my full range horns. Maybe it's because of the speaker's higher impedance, maybe because of the low internal resistance of the NCx500, maybe all this has an influence on the calibrated frequency response. I don't have any idea for this at the moment.

When I find time I'll do some measurements and try to figure out where this misbehavior is coming from.
At the moment the Krell is playing on...

Best DrCWO

Last edited:

Pritaudio

Yeah I meant main speakers either standmount or tower 3 ways.
wouldnt waste this amp on a subwoofer.

Redwine

Please help, apart from different cases, to my knowledge same specs, so pros and cons:

1) Apollon Audio NCx500ST EUR: 1.366
2) Audiophonics HPA-S600NCX EUR: 1.582

both quoted shipped to my home.

Top Bottom