• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 397 86.1%

• Total voters

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
"Burn in"?
Would you say warm up instead? I‘m not a native speaker (Lol).

But serious. I always have my new gear running uniterrupted for some days so I see if there might be an issue with power supply or something else. If they stand this test I use them in normal operation.

I called it „Burn in“. Seams something was wrong with my wording :rolleyes:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you say warm up instead? I‘m not a native speaker (Lol).

But serious. I always have my new gear running uniterrupted for some days so I see if there might be an issue with power supply or something else. If they stand this test I use them in normal operation.

I called it „Burn in“. Seams something was wrong with my wording :rolleyes:
It is just one of those audiophile myths that gear need "burn in" for days, months or weeks before they sound right. Finding out issues is one thing, expecting it to have audible effects is a different thing. Speakers are, as usual, a special exception.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Driver break-in is a controversial subject here for some reason. Although it's true the end product speaker doesn't change much.
Generally not much, but there are sometimes small changes, so I mentioned them as an exception just so nobody could say "not true, speakers can show a break-in effect".

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't be afraid of what people could say.
I guess it is also the engineer/scientist in me that feels to point out the existence of rare corner cases - just in case. :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess it is also the engineer/scientist in me that feels to point out the existence of rare corner cases - just in case. :)
I design speakers sometimes, and I've talked to driver manufacturers, so I had to read that thread sort of rolling my eyes..

JeyB

I had two loudspeakers on burn-in time for three and a half years, and with great success IMHO. On the fourth year they started to sound like angels, so smooth, so lineal, so engaging... but suddenly, without previous notice, the voice coils melted in the best of their lives They died so young, with still such a promising live to live on. I fell in a severe depression after that sad event. Never again I've found another pair of such beautiful sounding drivers. I still miss them. Rest in peace OMG. My entire life is now like a futile wandering and I ended up feeling like a suffering soul.

Last edited:

simplywyn

Speaker burn in I definitely think happens over YEARS, and that's simply because of how the materials age.

Just like car aging, a 10 year old honda and a 1 year old honda drive completely differently.

Ornette

Driver break-in is a controversial subject here for some reason. Although it's true the end product speaker doesn't change much.
I always understood that it was the surrounds getting more pliable, but I change speakers maybe every 15 years, so don't think about it much. :)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I always understood that it was the surrounds getting more pliable, but I change speakers maybe every 15 years, so don't think about it much. :)
From my discussions with Ken Kantor, the spider is the main culprit. It has a tough job keeping the coil centered, yet allowing extensive travel. Some materials used are quite stiff from the factory and soften with use, and some even "re-stiffen" briefly if the driver sits idle. But as I said, if you go through the analysis in a cabinet, the Fs and Qm lowering and the Vas getting bigger tend to cancel.

MaxBuck

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From my discussions with Ken Kantor, the spider is the main culprit.
I have a solution for you.

1682690055617.png

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Like to report first listening expressions with RME ADI-2 Pro FS plus Rouge Audio NCx500.

Visited fried of mine who is a long year fan of AVM electronics currently running AVM Evolution CS 5.3.

He had to admit that the combo with ADI-2 and NCx500 far outperforms his AVM amp. Anything is more realistic and much cleaner. The AVM is in comparison a lot blurred hiding the so called „details“ that audiophile like so much.

He asked me to leave both components at his house as he plans to sell this AVM. Convincing such a long term AVM fan is a big compliment I guess.

Best DrCWO

Edit:
Trying to find the right words to describe the sound...
I would say It sounds clean, crisp and clear with a very good bass definition.
Speakers were: Q Acoustics, don't know which model.

147CAEFF-98C3-484D-9A02-92A6C70F7B76.jpeg

Last edited:

Redwine

Like to report first listening expressions with RME ADI-2 Pro FS plus Rouge Audio NCx500.

Visited fried of mine who is a long year fan of AVM electronics currently running AVM Evolution CS 5.3.

He had to admit that the combo with ADI-2 and NCx500 far outperforms his AVM amp. Anything is more realistic and much cleaner. The AVM is in comparison a lot blurred hiding the so called „details“ that audiophile like so much.

He asked me to leave both components at his house as he plans to sell this AVM. Convincing such a long term AVM fan is a big compliment I guess.

Best DrCWO

Edit:
Trying to find the right words to describe the sound...
I would say It sounds clean, crisp and clear with a very good bass definition.
Speakers were: Q Acoustics, don't know which model.

View attachment 282149
Have you compared with other kinds of classD designs, or is it this the first experience?

DrCWO

Audio Company
Forum Donor
Tested several but always ended up with the Krell Evolution 2250e being better. So it is still in my living room. This means until now I have not been a big fan of classD. Either too harsh or somehow missing musicality.

If the friend of mine had returned the amp this week I will test it against the Krell.

But what I heard yesterday there is a chance the NCx500 be the first classD that might win. I will see…

Top Bottom