• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 11.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 397 86.1%

• Total voters

BossBunos

No. A wider bandwidth would actually capture all the harmonics and measure them, just as amplifier measuring has done for the last 70 years. 10th harmonic or 200kHz has been the standard forever.

Now, with so much bandwidth-challenged class D gear, which is also full of HF noise, the rules needed to be changed to accommodate their deficiencies. Don't pretend it is anything else.

But it is what it is and I don't lose any sleep over it. But I'm not so naïve as to read any class d 'datasheet' as anything other than painting their product in the best light possible for the ignorant, and glossing over the deficiencies. Seems to be the standard MO for Hypex and others since day one.
Could you give a bit of background info on why the 10th harmonic has been the standard? As I understand class d amp hf noise is caused by the PSU and is not harmonic distortion from a frequency in the audible band?

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Could you give a bit of background info on why the 10th harmonic has been the standard? As I understand class d amp hf noise is caused by the PSU and is not harmonic distortion from a frequency in the audible band?
Hf noise in class D is part of class D and normally out band and filtered. Ps noise is another construction area.:)

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
The IEC and IHF decades ago defined THD using ten harmonics, and many analyzers like the AP use ten as well. I've forgotten the rational; my vague memory is that only low-order harmonics were significant (for example, an old ADI app note says only the first five are usually significant) and ten was deemed to be more than enough. Higher harmonics tend to be buried in the noise floor and thus difficult if not impossible to separate from noise. These days, noise floors are lower, DSP allows much more noise averaging to reduce noise, and so higher harmonics are more readily extracted. But, ten is still reasonable from what I have seen. Higher harmonics, e.g. 5-9, are large enough to rise above the noise floor and, rather than rolling off, tend to flatten out in amplitude as feedback rolls off. When -60 dB was excellent, you'd rarely see more than the second and third harmonics, but now with -100 dB and better common those higher-order harmonics are more readily seen.

As an interesting aside, the IEEE power standard (519) for power lines uses 50 harmonics to define THD, but that is for 60 Hz stuff.

The HF noise from a class D amp is not harmonic distortion per se but is still HF energy that is both signal-modulated and can cause tweeters and such to misbehave so remains of interest. Higher switching frequencies are more prevalent now so the energy is further above the audio band but watching the ultrasonic energy they produce is still a relevant measurement in my mind.

FWIWFM - Don

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the 19/20kHz IMD, the spikes around the audible range are LOWER than the AHB2 but you have higher spikes above 30 kHz
View attachment 257663
Here is the Stereophile measurement of the AHB2 19/20 kHz:
StereoPhileAHB219+20kHz.jpg

It's hard to tell with these two graph scales, but Hypex NCx500 and AHB2 appear to be equivalent in the audible range, roughly around -112 dB.

- Rich

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
Once again - if we have a generator with 40 ohm output impedance and we shall load it with 1.8 kohm impedance with 1.8 ohm nonlinearity (-60 dB of original impedance), we shall measure -93 dB nonlinear distortion. Similar to post #1 results. And, we coul see that the buffer has improved overall linearity at higher voltage level. So I think it is clear.

pma

Major Contributor
Here is the Stereophile measurement of the AHB2 19/20 kHz:
View attachment 257762

It's hard to tell with these two graph scales, but Hypex NCx500 and AHB2 appear to be equivalent, roughly around -112 dB.

- Rich
Especially we cannot compare 2 distortion measurements that were done at different output power!!

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Especially we cannot compare 2 distortion measurements that were done at different output power!!
I updated the Stereophile image to include the power level of 50 watt peak into 8 Ohms.
StereoPhileAHB219+20kHz.jpg
What was the power level if the NCx500 IM measurement?

- Rich

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What was the power level if the NCx500 IM measurement?

- Rich

My power was 5W. (NC500OEM bridged/Marantz)

The Marantz PM-11s2 might do even better than the Pm-10. Will measure and update.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, it’s interesting because the bridged design has an “underpowered” power supply and hifinews said worse 2 ohm and 1 performance compared to the PM-KI Ruby. I really believe they made that decision for better real-world performance.

Marantz marketing: “However, in order to bring out the potential of this excellent power amplifier and realize the sound and quality that Marantz aims for, there are various adjustments to the switching amplifiers - mounting position, accuracy, thermal management, and noise control. So, it took a lot of effort. The PM-10 was completed after a development period of nearly three years, twice as much as usual, but much of that time was spent to bring out the potential of the switching amplifier.

No extra LPF filter in the measurements shown. I run the UB9000 into the PM-10 and use the PM-10's volume control to control the wattage into a pair of Vishay Dale 1% non inductive resistors. It's also possible that a HDAM SA3/pre-amp component/or Marantz buffer is doing something too. It was this review that made me realize that the buffer can improve measurements, not just improve gain.

I am not sure anyone else has shipped a bridged HypeX amp. Seems like it would get better measurements and you can sell 2x the amps to a single customer and be an interesting thing for @Rick Sykora to try out? That said, for all we know, maybe the NCx500 does well -- @amirm, can you run one of those 1M bandwidth measurements?...
Not sure if you are asking specifically about a stereo config of the NcoreX or just generally. I have tested Hypex bridging previously and seemed just fine. This was using NC502MP. Although Hypex only recommends 8 ohm loads when bridging it, they show 4 ohm performance in the data sheet...
1673973840794.png

My takeway was they more likely mean to avoid a complex 4 ohm load that may drop even lower at some frequencies.

BR52

I'm not sure what rock you've been living under but ADI-2 is very popular... it alone has probably sold more than 10k units.

Basically all of the top amplifiers on the SOTA chart were tested with low gain. 9.2dB for AHB2, 10dB for LA90, 12dB for NCx500, 12.8 for Purifi. So what they can't hit these excellent SINAD numbers being driven by consumer grade (aka. crap) preamps? I suppose I have to add, LA90 was also excellent in its high gain mode... which is only 20dB gain, so still not a power amp according to your completely nonsensical standard. All the best amps have low gain and demand high output preamps... kinda looks like there's only one path to truly SOTA performance, doesn't it? It's honestly bizarre that you seem to be shocked that most consumer grade hardware, with its cost-driven limitations, can't be involved... or that a "standard" settled on half a century ago should still be relevant today.

Are you in all of the threads of all of these amps, posting this same crap over and over again? With 10,000 posts (over 10 per day! on a small forum!!) I wouldn't be surprised but I also can't say I care to read anything you have to say ever again. HypeX (of all vendors!) said they would simply stop posting on this forum altogether rather than have to read or respond to this stuff you're posting any longer. Maybe dial it down, a lot.
Hm hard stuff after 49 messages here. Is it possible to formulate the things without to be personaly.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I'm not sure what rock you've been living under but ADI-2 is very popular... it alone has probably sold more than 10k units.

Basically all of the top amplifiers on the SOTA chart were tested with low gain. 9.2dB for AHB2, 10dB for LA90, 12dB for NCx500, 12.8 for Purifi. So what they can't hit these excellent SINAD numbers being driven by consumer grade (aka. crap) preamps? I suppose I have to add, LA90 was also excellent in its high gain mode... which is only 20dB gain, so still not a power amp according to your completely nonsensical standard. All the best amps have low gain and demand high output preamps... kinda looks like there's only one path to truly SOTA performance, doesn't it? It's honestly bizarre that you seem to be shocked that most consumer grade hardware, with its cost-driven limitations, can't be involved... or that a "standard" settled on half a century ago should still be relevant today.

Are you in all of the threads of all of these amps, posting this same crap over and over again? With 10,000 posts (over 10 per day! on a small forum!!) I wouldn't be surprised but I also can't say I care to read anything you have to say ever again. HypeX (of all vendors!) said they would simply stop posting on this forum altogether rather than have to read or respond to this stuff you're posting any longer. Maybe dial it down, a lot.
Maybe dial it down? John may be strongly opinionated but at least talks about the products, not the persons...

paulraphael

Could I use this as a bass amp?

Recently many companies have developed many preamp style pedals that make the eq section of bass amps redundant and the option of being able to leave the Poweramp section with the cabinets at the studio and moving just the preamp pedal with me when going home is quite convenient, but the problem us that most poweramps in the market are still AB, very heavy and bulky, and not linear at all, specially in the bass region.
Why not? You'd just need a 1/4" in and a speakon out.

I'm waiting to see if the bass amp makers start using these newer generation modules in their heads. They tend come out with new models (using new modules) at more or less the same time. IcePower has been the most popular since the beginning of the class-d revolution. My amp uses an older generation module that's rated at 500W into 4 ohms. It won't do 2 ohms. Newer versions are rated ~800W into either 4 or 2 ohms. I believe these all have lousy distortion specs at full power. But bass is a bit forgiving of this.

Would be cool to see little amps that could the put out 1K or more into 2 ohms, without noise or distortion problems. This would lead to lots of flexibility (ability to use 1 to 4 speaker cabinets depending on your needs. I suspect price is still a problem here. And the demand for lots of power seems to be going down as more venues get modern PA systems.

pma

Major Contributor
Should we start a new thread, we are coming more off-topic now?
Remember, it would be a double-edged sword. If you or I start such thread, it would be barely visited and will be forgotten in 2 days. The topic of generator output impedance value and possible non-linear low input impedance of the non-buffered Hypex module is related to this thread and to another similar thread with the same issue of distortion rise above 5 - 10W. It is a universal issue, people just are not experienced with such technical scenario. Who knows how the input of NCx500 without buffer looks like? Why is it not appreciated to find real reason of the distortion behaviour?

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Remember, it would be a double-edged sword. If you or I start such thread, it would be barely visited and will be forgotten in 2 days. The topic of generator output impedance value and possible non-linear low input impedance of the non-buffered Hypex module is related to this thread and to another similar thread with the same issue of distortion rise above 5 - 10W. It is a universal issue, people just are not experienced with such technical scenario. Who knows how the input of NCx500 without buffer looks like? Why is it not appreciated to find real reason of the distortion behaviour?
We can drop a link and see what happens? If you get no traffic then you get a pass to come back here and continue! What a deal right? ;)

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Maybe dial it down? John may be strongly opinionated but at least talks about the products, not the persons...
He won’t be back anytime soon……..or later even. :oops:

BR52

okay I stop here may be we can talk private.
@AdamG247 was written before your offer :cool: Unfortunately my english is not good so the next penalty for open a new thread

Reactions: MAB

AndreaT

My issue is testing an OEM supplied building block product, DIY assembled into a box and then pinning it on the so-called "SINAD leaderboard" which is for commercially available and commercially sold products. No prototypes, kit-builds, or bodged-up pre-release circuit boards was the rule. What happened to that?

It's not fair to people like Boxem, March, Buckeye, Apollon etc who build gear we can buy, with (hopefully) realistic specs and usable sensitivity/gain.

If it's just a showcase of the latest Hypex module- test it and discuss it as such. Use disclaimers in the title and make it clear- it cannot be purchased as tested. And now we've got @Hypexsales trying to distort our discussion to suit their narrative.

Disappointing, and not a good look for ASR.
I enjoyed the review immensely. I am happy the module and the PS were tested as they are the heart and lungs of future amplifier. I commend Amir, Rick and Hypex for this preview review of an outstanding new module: it clearly spells out what it is and what it is not. I am very happy about ASR.

pma

Major Contributor
@amirm has been measuring headphone amps with low input impedance (2k) since a few years now. So we know that the AP has no issue driving 4V RMS into 2k.
Fred, it is not about driving 2k linear resistor, I will try to explain again. It is about driving 2k possibly nonlinear impedance. Nonlinear means it changes value with voltage level. Even 2 ohm of nonlinearity would bring distortion rise to about -90 dB, when driven from 40 ohm zero distortion generator. Do you know how the input circuit of non- buffered NCx500 look like? Can you assure it behaves like a pure 2k resistor? I am trying to be serious, this is a qualified debate.

Top Bottom