• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex DIY Preamplifier Kit Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 20.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 86 38.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 89 39.9%

• Total voters

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
The more I read the more I get confused because I see no practical use for this pre amp. Even the Schitt Freya S is a much better choice than this and it cost half.

D

Deleted member 48726

I have connected DACs to poweramps for 10 plus years into expensive speakers. Never had a problem.

In this particular case of the Topping. Either don’t buy the model, stay clear of the brand, switch on the DAC first or if you really must add a passive attenuator in between for a fraction of the cost.
And set the attenuation on the amp to one notch below fire at full DAC voltage..

D

Deleted member 48726

The more I read the more I get confused because I see no practical use for this pre amp. Even the Schitt Freya S is a much better choice than this and it cost half.
It seems like a promise sold at high price because of the name.

Neddy

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Watching.
If this thing added crossover ability plus routing of the two balanced outputs it'd be THE perfect solution to add to my OktoDAC for bi-amping my mains - and with little or no loss of SINAD, etc. (Esp compared to the Venu360 I'm currently using for that.) Very cool. Want That. ;)

PeteL

Major Contributor
Is this not released yet? There is like no info or ordering possibility on their website. What is the gain at max volume?

mdsimon2

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is this not released yet? There is like no info or ordering possibility on their website. What is the gain at max volume?

Michael

PeteL

Major Contributor

Michael
Thanks, did not think of looking in their "DIY amplifier kit" section. so 13 dB or roughly 4. OK I guess but this seem to suggest it clips at 5 volts? Not fully sure what we are looking at I am going to assume that it's the input and this was at unity, but would have been good to see the performance of the volume control.

1680455460700.png

Reactions: EdW

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you want me to dig up my early drawings of this pre amp?
No, I want to know what are the other options. You said this is the basic option, which means there are other options.

On their DIY website that I now learned, these are the planned option. No crossover option is listed. I am none the wiser how Fusion connect will work either.

Future add-on options:

• DAC (Exp: Q4 2023)
• DIGin (AES, SPDIF, Optical, USB, Bluetooth, Streamer) (Exp: Q4 2023)
• Fusion Connect (Optimized Master Functionality for Fusion Amps) (Exp: Q4 2023)
• Phono stage (Exp: 2024)
• Equalizer (Exp: TBD)

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I too wonder why only one XLR input. The two outputs are good as many use subs these days.

While not an elegant solution you could get one of the Douk audio 3 into 1 XLR switchers for like $60. Gives you three inputs.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

AlexHRider

In addition to the previously mentioned and unobtania Okto solution, miniDSP has had preamps with this capability for years (SHD and Flex series). And with proper sets of inputs to boot.
But you can't use your DAC via USB, only toslink..

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
But you can't use your DAC via USB, only toslink..
Well the device in question is analog out only, with your wish that one output be for mains monoblocks, and output two be for active sub. So no way (or need) to use an external DAC there either.

Depending on which of the several miniDSP devices capable of running a 2.x system, they will either have analog/spdif/toslink/aes outputs or a combination thereof (so you can run straight analog out to your mains/subs, or use your own DAC's take your pick). Not to mention including necessary DSP (even "automated" filter creation via REW measurement input).

Last edited:
Top Bottom