• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex DIY Preamplifier Kit Review

Rate this preamplifier and headphone amp:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 20.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 86 38.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 89 39.9%

• Total voters

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DIY projects are also great hands-on experience; almost akin to what used to be called OJT but without the pay.:oops:

Good point. And don't get me wrong - I recently went to a soldering workshop in my area to brush up on my too-long-dormant soldering skills, and it was a ton of fun and I felt a great sense of accomplishment in that I remembered how to do it, and my work was a bit cleaner than the last time I'd done it. But I'm still a rank amateur solderer, so I'm just not so into the idea of doing it with $1000+ kits that are destined to become part of my main stereo setup. :)

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good point. And don't get me wrong - I recently went to a soldering workshop in my area to brush up on my too-long-dormant soldering skills, and it was a ton of fun and I felt a great sense of accomplishment in that I remembered how to do it, and my work was a bit cleaner than the last time I'd done it. But I'm still a rank amateur solderer, so I'm just not so into the idea of doing it with $1000+ kits that are destined to become part of my main stereo setup. :)
I got you wrong! Sorry. :(
TLDR >> Practice (and often w/DIYs) makes perfect... not workshop.;)

Obiwan007

I hope they bring some board for HT pass through.
I need 2.1 input with sub pass through.
The sub could be then connected to the XLR - maybe add another cinch for it.
Unfortunately there are not many pre amps available that offer some kind of HT input section (with direct out and sub support). I could only find the Emotiva PT2 supporting this but I am not so convinced on how it measures (last emotiva were not so good in the reviews here).
I like to drive my 5.1 setup with my Denon but like to have something more clean for 2.1...
The new hypex 500W stereo amp is around 1500€ (DIY).

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
strangely after all these months the add on cards are still... TBD

this is a lesson to a lot of these companies... the science of making those add on cards is probably not the same as their core competancies

barrows

this is a lesson to a lot of these companies... the science of making those add on cards is probably not the same as their core competancies
Hypex told me they expect the DAC board to be ready in Q4 of 2023. The Phono Stage to follow in 2024. So, I would hope we'll see the DAC board fairly soon.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor

If the add-on cards are not available at the time you buy something, they likely never will be. You have been warned. :)

How many "expansion slot/port" covers have you seen on equipment that never saw the light of day? It's been going on for decades.

Even Sony's very first CD player in 1982, the CDP-101 had one, supposedly for some kind of graphics adaptor that never saw the light of day.

1695423606985.png

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In the meantime the usual Chinese manufacturers will have released like 5 different DACs each...

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Yes, unfortunately it never left the status of a prototype

Sony_CDG-3000-1986.jpg

although one lucky person seem to have found one http://sakusero.jugem.jp/?eid=699

That unit was made for later players, not the CDP-101 (totally different inteface) AFAIK and special Sony CD Karaoke players. CDGraphics.

Philips had CDI (interactive) players. Then 2 years later DVD came along...

Obiwan007

For this kind of money they should add some more options to choose from.
DAC is a nice to have but not very important as you can get a good DAC rather cheap. If the input configuration is good enough (with more inputs) this would help.
I really like the emotiva approach where they use relays to switch pass-through for HT usage - even embedding a little high/low pass option for sub.
Looks like my usage is rather niche as barely any manufacturer wants to do this kind of stuff. Direct pass-though you might find - but sub handling is not happening...
Maybe NAD has it on their stereo amp with dirac? Not sure if they support pass through though. I could not find this on the product page - but then we speak about a 5k+ amp again...
At some point I might just replace my Denon with something better - but if I see the tests from Amir - they are not at the same ballpark as a good stereo amp - even in the very high price category. And I do not want to spend 20k for a Trinov (which is probably not as good for stereo either)...

Looks like Anthem has a very nice HT pass-through - but the STR costs >5k again... Looks like the Hypex is a bargain :)

Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
DAC board should really be full DSP board otherwise there really is no point , kind of halfhearted implementation. You might as well go with the external DAC option unless it’s very cheap and of superb performance at the same time ?

guyboisvert

Bought it after seeing review here. Assembling it was really easy. Matched it with the Hyper DIY Nilai 500 Stereo kit (which was easy to assemble too), hooked using XLR. I replaced my Rega Elex-R with these 2 units and i am very satisfied. I have Ryan R610 speakers and an Ayre QB-9 DAC: I gained more control over the speakers and a more precise yet very transparent / enjoyable mid/high range. Bass has more authority and and sounds totally controlled. This is a fine preamp that does what i needed. Ayre DAC plugged in using XLR and i still have my Rega DAC-R (using RCA) for video stuff via TV Optical output and other sources.

Last edited:

Dcktr

I hope they bring some board for HT pass through.
I need 2.1 input with sub pass through.
The sub could be then connected to the XLR - maybe add another cinch for it.
Unfortunately there are not many pre amps available that offer some kind of HT input section (with direct out and sub support). I could only find the Emotiva PT2 supporting this but I am not so convinced on how it measures (last emotiva were not so good in the reviews here).
I like to drive my 5.1 setup with my Denon but like to have something more clean for 2.1...
The new hypex 500W stereo amp is around 1500€ (DIY).
Any input can be set to unity gain (direct) to act as HT pass thru, it works fine for me
Functionally fits my needs. RCA for HT and Phono, XLR from my DAC
XLR out to active speakers and my Sub

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
its going to funny to see how long down the track these alleged cards appear

its probably pretty apparent that they didnt sell enough of these to warrant making any cards

ship has sailed

Top Bottom