• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

PrimaLuna Dialogue Three Preamp Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 99 39.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 105 41.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 8 3.1%

• Total voters

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't forget Polyester.
202309_Polyester.jpg

Huh? Which album do you suggest?

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Hey, relax. You're making it sound like manual doesn't exist in America and no Americans knows how to drive manual. Your statement was very insulting to a lot of people that is why they are replying.

So that you know, I started driving when I was 17, I learn in a manual, and only drove manual until I was 28. In those 11 years, I've own about 4 different manual cars and went auto crossing on weekends. I have essentially mastered the heal toe. From age 28 to about 10 years ago, I always had a manual car in addition to an automatic.

I don't know why you go around making assumptions about the manual car culture in America. Or if I personally ever drove manual. Do you know what happens when you ass-u-me?

Now about your point on manual car feels:

1) No one ever said anything against what you said. The only thing I and other have said is the comparison of DCT vs manual. Manual cannot perform as well as DCT, and it never will (period), (full stop) (scientific fact).

2) No one ever compared a manual with automatic. We are talking about DCT vs. Manual.

3) By you explaining why manual is fun and why it has the X factor (as if only Europeans know and Americans can't possibly know), you are confirming my comparison as to why people prefer tubes. And by me saying why people prefer tubes makes me the first person to say on this thread, that manual, like tubes, has the X factor.
Why is that F1 uses sequential manual transmissions?

Could it be that they are more efficient, weigh less and are faster than DCT?

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Funny how some people embrace older inferior technology as superior. At some point I am sure someone will claim Edison cylinder records are the way to go. Probably a "warmer" sound.
Yes, but remember people like the sound of vinyl records to - so this preamp might be prefered in a setup with a very clean poweramp .

DualTriode

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Sorry to kind of disagree here, but to me, the music of any genre played on any source is far more than any hobby and I reckon I'd be all but 'dead' without it! The gear-tinkering is the hobby but that never ever overrides the music for me, which I can enjoy on a set of select £13 in-ear phones fed by an Apple Dongle. Having said that, a good pair of BIG speakers helps one to 'feel' the music physically and I still rue the day when I had to downsize the boxes 'cos our room wasn't big enough.

I play the music.

I make and measure the gear.

Two different things.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's obvious. Don't take it as an offense, but only those who have always driven automatic cars don't understand the total difference in feeling with a manual gearbox car. Driving is not only changing from one gear to another in the shortest possible time on a straight line, it is also being able to feel and fully manage the relationship with the engine, having the clutch under your foot and being able to control the rpm and how it affects traction, climbing a series of tight hairpin bends and managing braking and re-acceleration just and exactly as YOU want, using engine braking without breaking down the car and without a sophisticated electronic card having to do it for you. Using a manual gearbox is the essence of sporty driving, even if it doesn't perform as well as a sports automatic, but this is difficult for those who have only ever used an automatic gearbox to understand. (it's also incredibly funnier)
Do you typically drive race cars on the road?
I am pretty sure they are not being driven because it's an enjoyable, efficient way to travel.
And, in American drag racing, it was a long time before those using automatics became equal & then superior to manuals.
Automatics were known as slush boxes & derided by most Americans that did not just consider a car to be an appliance.
We do have road racing here!
I've been involved with it since the 1972, when I was 15.
I would venture to say that the majority of people over 50 can drive a manual transmission.
& for those of us that still use them (at 66, I am one of many), they are a great anti-theft device, as most young thugs can't drive one.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why is that F1 uses sequential manual transmissions?

Could it be that they are more efficient, weigh less and are faster than DCT?
Please see post #160.

All F1 cars' transmission are multi-clutch. The key is that they have clutches like any manual, the only difference is that the manual shifting is automated without a pedal.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Please see post #160.

All F1 cars' transmission are multi-clutch. The key is that they have clutches like any manual, the only difference is that the manual shifting is automated without a pedal.
Probably a stupid question but do F1 cars have a reverse gear?
I have seen some of these cars but only doing expedition runs, (although that is competitive, it is not the cars normal environment) such as at Goodwood.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, it's a mandatory function actually stipulated by the FIA.

Is this now a car thread? :p

JSmith
Tubes are a choice VS transistor's.
& I think that the car thing started out as an analogy. But, yeah, we took it too far.
Now we should resume the normal programing for this thread.

Nathan Raymond

Funny how some people embrace older inferior technology as superior. At some point I am sure someone will claim Edison cylinder records are the way to go. Probably a "warmer" sound.
Edison cylinder records have nowhere near the sound stage of a conch shell held up to the ear.

Rufus T. Firefly

Forum Donor
Every on this article is what I said, there is ZERO contradiction.
Except for this part I guess

Do F1 Cars Have Clutches?

F1 cars do have clutches. It is a single clutch, usually made out of carbon. The whole thing weighs about 1.5 kg, with a normal clutch system weighing upwards of 50 kg in some cases. Weight saving is critical in F1, where there is so much performance to be gained by simply cutting down the weight.

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Except for this part I guess

Do F1 Cars Have Clutches?

F1 cars do have clutches. It is a single clutch, usually made out of carbon. The whole thing weighs about 1.5 kg, with a normal clutch system weighing upwards of 50 kg in some cases. Weight saving is critical in F1, where there is so much performance to be gained by simply cutting down the weight.
How so? Can you take a screenshot of what I said that contradicted this part?

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Did already my friend, have a great night.

The last word is yours.
Ah, I read it again. Ok, so the F1 have one clutch and not multi clutch. That is indeed a big discrepancy.

But that doesn't change the fact that F1 is a clutch transmission where the shifting is electro-mechanical with no pedal. And the driver controls the shift point. Such system performs better than manual with a pedal. Just like solid state amp performs better than a tube amp.

But there are still people who prefer a tube amp over solid state, just like there are still people who prefer a manual with pedal over a multi-clutch or an automated single clutch like F1.

Again, I am not saying anything good or bad about manual with pedal. Aside pointing out the performance difference and that there exists an x-factor with manual. Comparing it with SS and tube.

Repdetect

Forum Donor
How much power does it produce?

From what I've seen those will perform great.
Like DSJR said:
You do realise that most audiophiles listen with their eyes, don't you?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
Like DSJR said:
You do realise that most audiophiles listen with their eyes, don't you?
With seen I mean the measurements I've seen from McIntosh.

WillB

I get the impression that many of the people who express "their" opinions of tube based equipment are completely uninformed about modern high quality tube equipment and therefore fall back on stating gross generalizations of tube equipment sound quality from decades past.

If tubes are so "distorted" and band-width limited then ask yourself why, at audio shows, do many of the high quality speaker manufacturers currently use tube electronics to promote their products?

That is my gross generalization I've gotten after reading through this and many of the other posts on this website.
I'll post the same on the amplifier postings.

Top Bottom