• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How NOT to set up speakers and room treatment ( Goldensound)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geert

Major Contributor
So when talking envlopment of concert hall, it only applies to classical music that it may be better to have envlopment at home.

In Antwerp (Belgium) we have a famous arts centre called 'The Single'. It has 2 big halls, the 'Red hall' and the 'Blue hall'. The Blue hall is a live hall (2 sec reverb time) where the acoustics supports the acoustic sounds of instruments. It has reflectors to steer reflections to the audience. It's used for classical music performances. The Red hall on the other hand has side walls which steer away and diffuse reflections (1.2 sec reverb time). It's used for amplified concerts and theatre.

An example of acoustics in function of the style of music, which has been mentioned multiple times in this thread.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
In Antwerp (Belgium) we have a famous arts centre called 'The Single'. It has 2 big halls, the 'Red hall' and the 'Blue hall'. The Blue hall is a live hall where the acoustics supports the acoustic sounds of instruments. It's used for classical music performances. The Red hall on the other hand has side walls which steer away and diffuse reelections. It's used for amplified concerts and theatre.

An example of acoustics in function of the style of music, which has been mentioned multiple times in this thread.

Sounds interesting. I need a red room and a blue room at home. :)

I haven't been to Sydney Opera House concert hall since the refit, but they have what appear to be well-organised configurable/mobile treatments to cater for the sonics of different music/performance types now.

tuga

Major Contributor
So when talking envlopment of concert hall, it only applies to classical music that it may be better to have envlopment at home.
The envelopment of the concert hall is either captured or enhanced in the mix.
You can’t conflate recorded envelopment with room-generated envelopment.

To my eyes this is an area where Toole’s personal preference has stood in the way of unbiased interpretation.
He’s fond of envelopment to the point of using upmixing

DSJR

Major Contributor
Of course not. The researcher doesn’t believe in stereo and thinks it’s a distraction. Mono or multi-channel is where it’s at. I found very little relevance in all of the quoted snippets to the listening of recorded stereo music and the reproduction of a 3D soundstage. NB, the width of the soundstage is of fairly little concern. It is the ability to localise performers and instruments within the soundstage that counts, including its depth front to back. If you desire a wide soundstage you don’t even need to put polished concrete on the sidewalls, an AU/VST plugin with a stereo width slider will do that, neutral position right in the middle.
A quick note if I may...

Some orchestral recordings are *recorded* with a kind of amorphous soundfield intentionally (dare I say many Decca recordings of old) and this is visually represented in the mastering suite where a 'scope or similar screen used to show the phasing or whatever of the music signal being mastered. A very old one now, but Solti's Mahler 8 at the end sounds almost smeared or overloaded - my mastering engineer pal got the tapes out and discovered it wasn't end of side tracking on the vinyl original and neither was it tape overload. It was *phase distortion* in the original recording and obviously passed by the producer as the way it was to be. I have heard live performances of this wonderful symphony and it's not exactly a 'pin-point' kind of presentation heard live either. Having said that, back then I remember many CBS orchestral recordings were mixed and produced with the instruments almost 'in your lap' in a very 'HiFi' but not pleasant (to me) kind of way - I suspect the perspective as mixed was from the conductor's viewpoint rather than someone in the audience. I recal some of Von Karajan's recordings were subtly remixed after his passing to bring the recording venue up a bit more (as apparently he loved to tinker at the mixing desk) and again, the 'HiFi 'deeeeetail' was subtly diluted in favour of the 'event' of the recording.

Contemporary rock/pop (sorry about the generalisation) has usually been recorded in multi-mono so obviously there'd be usually a good 'image' as mixed unless the prodcers flooded it all with (artificial?) reverb which isn't always unpleasant. Got to say I don't listen to audiophile (or the often ghastly plink-plonk 'audiophool' recordings) as the music counts rather more than the 'presented sound' for most of the time these days.

As you were chaps ;)

Cubic Spline

The envelopment of the concert hall is either captured or enhanced in the mix.
You can’t conflate recorded envelopment with room-generated envelopment.

To my eyes this is an area where Toole’s personal preference has stood in the way of unbiased interpretation.
He’s fond of envelopment to the point of using upmixing

Oh I totally agree with you. If not, I would not be mastering everyday in a non-environment room with flush-mounted speakers. :)

I find the notion of envelopment is a very diffuse (pun intended) concept. You can be enveloped all around by something still small.
In reflective rooms, it's very rare to hear proper front to back depth. And by depth, I mean sources which are further away from you than the speaker wall. Reflections always anchor the reproduction to the size of the listening room with the position of instruments being between you and the walls.

On recordings with proper cues, in a properly absorbed room, the recording cues takes over the ones from the room and you hear a much bigger and deeper field. At the same time, it is more focused and less "enveloping", but still takes more space, just not forced all around you.

I wonder what would have come from the study if done with fast-paced metal or high BPM psychedelic trance, in concrete 20 m² rooms like we have in Europe.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Perhaps this question has already been asked: "Stereo" has virtual sound sources, phantom sources, the position of the sound source is localized by the listener's brain which renders it an illusion.. From a purely physical point of view, however, there are still two sound sources, one on the left, the other on the right. This means that the (first, early) reflections in stereo mode differ significantly (!) from those of real sound sources.

So what does it mean when we talk about an advantage, for example because of comprehensive embedding, the bath in the sound, with the first reflections?

Toole leaves this question out for subsequent investigations. Go figure, you must not quote Toole regarding this topic! (I'm afraid, it would be very misleading.)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am with @amirm here even if I’ve read only a fraction of what he has done. I’ve tested panels on back or side walls only to put them down. The place where they can give increaed detail and better dynamics without damage to the envelope is on the wall behind the speakers IMO. The amount depends on speakers dispersion, placement and toe-in. I’ve never been fan of high DR ratio though so that may be just my preference. Peaks in the -20 to -15 dB within the first 10 ms just do not seem to bother me for stereo effects and detail. More important perhaps to have them down withiin 1-2 ms.

goat76

Major Contributor
Yeah I'm not a fan of listening to live albums generally for those reasons. I've been to live gigs where the sound was surprisingly good though. In spaces that shouldn't have worked, using ceiling-mounted line arrays. PA has come a ways I reckon. Not holographic of course, but clear, well-defined and enjoyably loud.

I think “studio-controlled” live recordings usually are the best-sounding recordings, the ones made in a room with well-behaved acoustics where the musicians share the same space and the natural acoustic cues are left to be the dominating factor. Those kinds of recordings are the most real-sounding ones, especially the ones where the stereo micing technique are set up to simulate one point in space, as if a single listener were standing in front of the musicians listening to the live performance.

The above works best if the music contains acoustic instruments, but a somewhat similar sensation can be had even if the instruments need some acoustic separations, such as an electric guitar and a bass guitar which otherwise will most probably mask each other out. But even if those instruments are recorded in a separate room and you let the acoustic drums be the dominant acoustic factor of the recording, you still get that natural reverberation of a shared space of all the instruments.

And back to the topic...

If we are going to be able to hear the recorded acoustic space with less diffusion from our own listening environment, we must reduce the reflections from our own listening room because those reflections does not have anything to do with the phantom sources positions in the recordings, and how they would have reflected the sound if they where put in that position in our listening room.

The reflections that occur in our listening room only “see” the two positions of the two loudspeakers as the direct source, not the intended positions of all the different sound sources in the mix which are only phantom images “put together” in the listener's head. That’s why the reductions from our listening environment must be controlled so that the direct sound can be the dominant factor of what is reaching our ears at the listening position.

fineMen

Major Contributor
I think “studio-controlled” live recordings usually are the best-sounding recordings, ...
Whan it comes to the recording methods, the contemporary use of all-in digital manipulations is eff**ing disgusting. Listen to those humble recordings from the pre-digital era. Not as fancy, not that detailed, not that spacey, but come close to the real thing.

Problem is the customer expecting a spectacle to feed his stereo in order to appreciate his stereo as an investment--too often too much is spent on that pedestrian task to make some sound. Too high of an expectation renders hify useless.

youngho

When the line goes horizontal with distance, direct axis contribution has gone to zero. The graph you quoted shows this so don't know what your question is. Point here is that plenty of listeners enjoy the sound of live concerts when sitting way past Dc. Even if there is some contribution from on-axis it doesn't matter with respect to this point when reflections dominate.
@amirm, let's try this again. Here is Toole from Sound Reproduction. The curve that goes horizontal is labelled "Idealized." "The dotted draw-away curve indicates the declining sound level that, in some form or other, is seen in real halls." It's labelled "Realistic". There's a difference between "idealized," which does indeed go horizontal with distance, and "realistic," which does not. Toole: "The dashed-curve sum of these is what would be measured by a sound level meter as it is moved away from the source—a draw-away curve.In the ideal hall, the curve is horizontal at large distances, but in real halls it falls with distance, as shown by the dotted curve." Boston Symphony Hall is about 125 ft long. The point is that plenty of concert hall listeners do hear some, not zero, component of direct sound when sitting dozens of feet past DC. In terms of seating location, I agree that there are different preferences for listeners in concert halls. Here is Beranek: https://pubs.aip.org/asa/jasa/article/139/4/1548/662531/Concert-hall-acoustics-Recent-findingsa
Screen Shot 2023-06-01 at 12.10.28 AM.png

Toole: "Once past the first few rows in a concert hall, most of what one hears is reflected sound." IOW, some of what one hears is direct sound.
@amirm : "Dr. Toole correctly makes the point that large concert halls are nothing but reverberations." This is not what Toole wrote.

Toole: "As a result, classic concert hall acoustical theory often begins with the simplifying assumption that the sound field throughout a large relatively reverberant space is diffuse. In technical terms that means it is homogeneous (the same everywhere in the space) and isotropic (with sound energy arriving at every point equally from all directions). That theoretical ideal is never achieved because of sound absorption at the boundaries, by the audience, and in the air, but it is an acceptable starting point"
@amirm: "Large rooms have critical distance (Dc) after which, all you hear are the reflections and not direct sound. Listeners sit past Dc and hence they hear no direct sound contributions." This is not what Toole wrote. Also, just think about it--a diffuse sound field means that sound arrives at every point equally from all directions. If a diffuse sound were all that is perceived in a concert hall, without any perception of direct sound, a listener would be completely unable to determine the location of the sound.

Toole: "The challenge is to put more of the audience in a predominantly direct sound field, precisely the opposite of a live concert hall experience." IOW, a live concert hall is a predominantly, not solely, an indirect sound field.

I have provided a number of direct quotes from Toole to support my point that there is some, not zero, contribution from direct sound.

Young-Ho

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Whan it comes to the recording methods, the contemporary use of all-in digital manipulations is eff**ing disgusting. Listen to those humble recordings from the pre-digital era. Not as fancy, not that detailed, not that spacey, but come close to the real thing.

Problem is the customer expecting a spectacle to feed his stereo in order to appreciate his stereo as an investment--too often too much is spent on that pedestrian task to make some sound. Too high of an expectation renders hify useless.

What is this new-fangled 'stereo' of which you speak?

And lean into my ear-trumpet when you address me, no mumbling, whippersnapper.

Last edited:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
In reflective rooms, it's very rare to hear proper front to back depth. And by depth, I mean sources which are further away from you than the speaker wall. Reflections always anchor the reproduction to the size of the listening room with the position of instruments being between you and the walls.

On recordings with proper cues, in a properly absorbed room, the recording cues takes over the ones from the room and you hear a much bigger and deeper field.

This is exactly my experience, too. There are many ways of ruining perceived depth, and a reflective room is just one of them. But when everything comes together the reward is great.

fineMen

Major Contributor
Why aren’t you a bit more specific about what flaw(s) exactly and where (quote please)?

And while you at it, what is the correct way according to you (facts please)?
Toole doesn't address the problem with phantom sources, the very foundation of "stereo". That you localize a sound source somewhere in between the speakers while all the physical properties of the sound field, including early reflections, reflect the very fact that there are actually two sound sources at work. The speakers namely.

The 'enveloppment', the bath in the sound as you will, neglects the very fact that I've got a mind knowing that the presence of phantom sources isn't real. So, there is some engagement of my mind at work when listening to stereo. With me that makes me distant myself from the auditory representation most often. This distancing is strongly supported by contemporary recording techniques, which nearly always try to overwhelm me with fancy tricks I don't fall for.

Summarized, Toole, which he frankly admits, doesn't address stereo which is the 'ideal' listening mode for people who think they care about audio quality. But, the majority of listerners does not. I do not know of anybody who would sacrifice comfort for stereo exactness aka 'imaging'. Not the least bit, actually! Toole => mono only!

ps: and again, a discussion that doesn't define the terms propperly.

TheZebraKilledDarwin

What? Many people's dream is to recreate that live concert experience.
And there are people who use the DSP reverb programs of their AVRs, to recreate reverberated mess a more enveloping feeling.

You are also well informed about psychoacoustics. Therefore I am very surprised about that claim coming from you Amir, because IME it's exactly the other way around:

The treated, well controlled room is reproducing side channel information million times better! Therefore the enveloping feeling is becoming stronger - if it's in the mix! If it's not in the mix, and the track of a mix was kept mono, then there should be no enveloping feeling, it should be in front of you.
And why is that? Because as every mix engineer will tell you: if everything is wide, nothing is wide.
That's thee effect of treated rooms. You have a dancepiano dead center and then the wide pad will be perceived as much broader.
Or you have the lead vocal kept in mono, sometimes even with the ambience in mono, but the backing vocals are mixed wide with lots of side channel. That tends to make the lead vocal sound much better and the backing choir, too.

For untrained ears, used to listen in "reverb chambers", the lack of that reverb at first may initially be perceived as a "lack of spaciousness" and if asked, they would say they prefer more reverb.
But it's the same with reduced room modes: at first it sounds like a lack of bass. Because the hearing was adopted all life long to the sound of a ringing bass, that masks everything.
It takes some time to accomodate, start to listen and then begin to hear, how much the room moodes were masking everything and that, the bass did not become less trong, but stronger and how poor and weak it was sounding before.

And this is probably even more true for hearing finer details, like ambiences in a mix (= judging spaciousness).

A mix that I like to use, how well a setup can reproduce spaciousness and depth, or antiphase/side channel - is the snare in Michael Jackson's Billy Jean. It is mixed with a predelayed stereo ambience, where the snare hits dry dead center, but the tail of the snare goes into LR and then fades into the back (side channel).
I highly doubt this can be heard in a reverberating room. In a reverberating room, there is just "a nice snare".

I ask again: how is it possible, in a reverberating room, to hear the ambiences of the tracks in a mix?
But if the ambiences and their level cannot be judged in a mix, how is it possible to talk about details or quality of sound reproduction?

Yet the same people read stuff online and turn their listening rooms into padded cells and wonder why it doesn't sound that way. Sadly their solution is to go buy another power cable....

The ones that treat their rooms are the ones that buy power cables?
IME the ones in untreated rooms are the ones that are tricked into all the audiophile BS - simply because they cannot hear any details (see above paragraph).

So the problem is the following:
People (and "experts") are talking about "listening", but they never describe, what they are hearing. They use technical terms, derived from measurements, that suggest great competence. But what people do not understand, that these terms are useless, if they are not connected with concrete explanations of what they hear in certain mixes.

I am becoming suspicious, because I start to notice, that some highly regarded experts seem to avoid the use of concrete, verifiable mix descriptions, like the plague but instead use a lot of technical terms and measurements, that have no concrete meaning (without defining of what the concrete effect on elements in a mix is).

It reminds me about reference mixes the AES is recommending - but AES seems not to specify, which elements in these mixes are the reference part and what to listen for.

Last edited:

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Why aren’t you a bit more specific about what flaw(s) exactly and where (quote please)?

How about this little nugget, from post #475:
1685617993036.png

The highlighted bit. I can’t decide whether that’s an insider joke or cargo cult science. Three (3) test subjects substantially agreed, listening to pink noise. I hope the researcher was at least wearing a lab coat.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
I am becoming suspicious, because I start to notice, that some highly regarded experts seem to avoid the use of concrete, verifiable mix descriptions, like the plague but instead use a lot of technical terms and measurements, that have no concrete meaning (without defining of what the concrete effect on elements in a mix is).

Often they have limited exposure to new music, and thus less idea of how it is assembled (see "pan-potted", or the idea that you need reflections to place sounds beyond the left-right speaker pair, etc) or what to listen for, or how to describe various aspects of the sonics. It would be like asking me to set up a classical performance/space, or record/mix one, or describe the desired sonics.

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
geez people - focus please... live concerts? - flying arrays? - concert halls and live musical performance critiques? - contrasting orchestral and contemporary music? - get a grip... all have nothing to do with the small room in the OP...

the physics of sound are the same and it appears to me that @amirm has been as polite as possible fielding the post by post moving target comments of 'what if' listening environment scenarios... don't like the conclusions of some well known or not so well known researchers? - write 'em a damn letter... the original subject under discussion was a specific small listening space in the OP...

Axo1989

Major Contributor
geez people - focus please... live concerts? - flying arrays? - concert halls and live musical performance critiques? - contrasting orchestral and contemporary music? - get a grip... all have nothing to do with the small room in the OP...

the physics of sound are the same and it appears to me that @amirm has been as polite as possible fielding the post by post moving target comments of 'what if' listening environment scenarios... don't like the conclusions of some well known or not so well known researchers? - write 'em a damn letter... the original subject under discussion was a specific small listening space in the OP...

Contrasting classical and popular music (for example) is at the crux of why a one-size-fits-all approach to room setup/treatment isn't sufficient.

thecheapseats

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Contrasting classical and popular music (for example) is at the crux of why a one-size-fits-all approach to room setup/treatment isn't sufficient.
a "room setup/ treatment" for what purpose?- listening to a finished recording - or creating a recording... please be specific...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom