• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec W371A + 8361A

kma100

Forum Donor
A number of people across various threads and posts :). 8351B mainly I think...not sure of 8361A though. Might be a smaller group!

OP
Confused_by_tech

Confused_by_tech

Forum Donor
I have not seen a thread that addresses specifically the combination of: Genelec W371A + 8361A.

I've seen posts re: the 8361A which were generally quite positive.

kma100

Forum Donor
Any challenges to get the 7370 to integrate? From their website: https://www.genelec.com/w371a#faq_element_answer

"A loudspeaker system using W371 with a monitor is a full range system that should not be bass managed. The output quality of the W371 with a monitor is acoustically superior to using a subwoofer and bass management for low frequencies. Because of this, W371 cannot be bass managed with a subwoofer."

Piatnik

Forum Donor
Also @Piatnik has the 8361A + W371A combination I believe...
That correct. I use 8361A + W371A and it's wonderful.

Again, about adding a subwoofer with this combo and as I wrote in the 8361 thread:

I was commenting about a nice picture of a setup presented on Genelec website. Of course, Genelec would like to sell more stuff, but they say themselves that you can't calibrate the W371A and a subwoofer using GLM.

Adding a non-calibrated subwoofer or any speaker would completely remove the benefits of the W371A ($$$) since GLM cannot analyse the subwoofer along the W371. The room null or bass resonance from the sub will pollute the room calibration with the W371A. And I can't believe the sub will add that much low frequencies. My W371 goes down around 20 dB @ -2 dB. Probably could add some SPL, but the W371A have more than enough (for my need I should say).

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
would love to be your neighbour
When i read about these high end high spl sub bass systems i always think: don't they have neighbours? and the second thought is that in my world all these fancy speakers are quite cheap compared to living in a free standing house and be actually able to use them properly.

onion

I have a somewhat sound-proofed room. When I had a multi sub-Ones system, my neighbours observed vibrations whenever I played bass-heavy music loud. This was highly likely to be due to the multiple subs.

They gave me a hand getting the W371as up the stairs, but were worried about the potential disturbance (they're really nice neighbours). Since the switch to W371a-Ones, they have not been disturbed and the vibrations do not happen.

Subjectively, the bass is far more pleasurable to listen to with W371as compared to multi subs. So nearly everyone won (except my wallet). I think some of the low bass energy generated by subwoofers is wasted.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have a somewhat sound-proofed room. When I had a multi sub-Ones system, my neighbours observed vibrations whenever I played bass-heavy music loud. This was highly likely to be due to the multiple subs.

They gave me a hand getting the W371as up the stairs, but were worried about the potential disturbance (they're really nice neighbours). Since the switch to W371a-Ones, they have not been disturbed and the vibrations do not happen.

Subjectively, the bass is far more pleasurable to listen to with W371as compared to multi subs. So nearly everyone won (except my wallet). I think some of the low bass energy generated by subwoofers is wasted.
in which mode you're running them?

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec W371A + 8361A - just read some of the hype.
Anyone with first hand experience? Thx.
I auditioned Genelec W371A with 8361A as well as with 8351A in my music room for a week. They sound excellent in either combination, however I found my Salon2 more likeable. Most likely thats due to familiarity.

As I was expecting there was hardly any difference between the two. 8351A has sufficient bass capacity and the extra bass capacity offered by 8361A is lost when used with W371A. This is why Genelec usually demonstrates the 8351A + W371A combination. I will say this: Why spend more and place a larger box in front of you if they sound so similar?

hege

Forum Donor
When i read about these high end high spl sub bass systems i always think: don't they have neighbours? and the second thought is that in my world all these fancy speakers are quite cheap compared to living in a free standing house and be actually able to use them properly.
I reverse-cringe everytime I read comments wondering this. It's a short google away to realize how extremely popular single house living is around the world. Older 200-300k multi-storey house like mine is completely normal purchase with a mortgage even for a single person (atleast with an IT job), you'll pay the same as you would spend on rent somewhere anyway.

I'm sure the dreaded WAF is much more of a stopper..

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have 8361+W371a+7370 for home listening. It sounds great. :)
Wait could you tell me how you integrated the 7370 with the 8361/w371? I thought it is not possible with GLM.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Complementary. I've tried all the other modes too. I use BACCH4Mac and thought the reduced reflections modes might improve XTC but complementary sounds better and has greater XTC.
Do you feel adding the Bacch system made a significant difference? Thoughts on how things sound with and without Bacch in the loop?

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I reverse-cringe everytime I read comments wondering this. It's a short google away to realize how extremely popular single house living is around the world. Older 200-300k multi-storey house like mine is completely normal purchase with a mortgage even for a single person (atleast with an IT job), you'll pay the same as you would spend on rent somewhere anyway.

I'm sure the dreaded WAF is much more of a stopper..
It’s getting harder by the minute though. Sadly an entire generation may never have the opportunity.

But then again it’s a choice. As I get older I see the benefits of moving out to places with more space. All those trendy city restaurants get old at some point.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes! This exactly! W371 reduced complaints by a huge factor. Actually solved that problem for the most part.

The bass is so tuneful and “integrated”.

Also the way they attenuate bass outside the “line of fire” is something one must experience to believe. Just a wonderful system.

It’s funny while my neighbors didn’t help me carry it. They did come by to ask what I was up to. They didn’t seem to like the idea. But it benefitted all of us greatly!

Top Bottom