• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec good enough?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Not sure Genelecs are "good enough" to ASR anymore after they were called "subjectivists" once and people disagreed with their research on "slow listening" (which is a part of their philosophy)

I must agree with the notion that abx is not realy usefull to compare quality. abx was always a "can I hear the diference?" tool; of course you can hear the diference between two loudspeakers. to decide what sounds better between two options you have to hear a lot (yea, you can discard the bad pretty fast though).

Tangband

Major Contributor
I have heard 8030 and 8040 and I have made measurements on 8030.
They are very good speakers, but Genelec have one drawback and that is that they have made the speakerboxes a little to small for optimal performance. They use eq to do this. So the sound appears to be very balanced but the drawback is less spl and higher distortion in the bass.
They also use tda 7293 analog chip amplifier inside, and the new 8030C uses class D. This might be good, but you can do even better with active speakers that has optimal boxsize, and better amplifiers. At a higher price.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not very many people describe Genelecs as "cost-efficient". They are great, but not cheap. As to audiophile bragging rights, you could always have a 10 W single-ended triode amp driving some ridiculous horns with 10% distortion as a second system... :)
Good news with Genelec is that you may usually find them second hand.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are very good speakers, but Genelec have one drawback and that is that they have made the speakerboxes a little to small for optimal performance.
It depends which model you're considering.

1236.jpg

q3cpma

Major Contributor
I have heard 8030 and 8040 and I have made measurements on 8030.
They are very good speakers, but Genelec have one drawback and that is that they have made the speakerboxes a little to small for optimal performance. They use eq to do this. So the sound appears to be very balanced but the drawback is less spl and higher distortion in the bass.
That box size thing may be true, but remember that the external/internal volume ratio is pretty high due to the thin aluminium walls; official specs for the 8030C say "Harmonic distortion at 85 dB SPL @ 1 m on axis: 50…100 Hz < 2%, >100 Hz < 0.5%" which seem very low, compared to the recently reviewed M105, for example (because it also has a 5" woofer) which does 2.5% at 100 Hz and clears 0.5% only around 300 Hz.
They also use tda 7293 analog chip amplifier inside
Are you sure? I think they use the LM3886 in their older models.
and the new 8030C uses class D.
What's the problem with these amps when driver distorsion completely swamps the electronic's at levels where distorsion do become important?
This might be good, but you can do even better with active speakers that has optimal boxsize, and better amplifiers. At a higher price.
If you have any evidence (trustworthy specs or measurements) of better 2-way models with a woofer that size, I'm really interested.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
How does the Neumann KH120 compare?

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
fun fact: mains in control rooms are mostly there to impress clients on couches at the back wall, not for critical listening
Well,
I've been in several studios using those, and when you want several people to listen at the take, they do a perfect job.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I must agree with the notion that abx is not realy usefull to compare quality. abx was always a "can I hear the diference?" tool

Indeed. ABX is for showing that there really is an audible difference - it says nothing about what you prefer.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
How does the Neumann KH120 compare?
If that post's for me, the discussion at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...20a-or-genelec-8030c.11109/page-4#post-408208 tried do discuss the matter: Neumann's own specs are really high in comparison, but this is most likely due to different measurement methods. They both have basically the same woofer, the KH120A can cross at 2 kHz instead of 8030C's 3 kHz because of its bigger tweeter (which means narrower directivity) and has probably a little higher internal volume, meaning higher sensitivity, but that's all.

Vintage57

Forum Donor
If that post's for me, the discussion at https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...20a-or-genelec-8030c.11109/page-4#post-408208 tried do discuss the matter: Neumann's own specs are really high in comparison, but this is most likely due to different measurement methods. They both have basically the same woofer, the KH120A can cross at 2 kHz instead of 8030C's 3 kHz because of its bigger tweeter (which means narrower directivity) and has probably a little higher internal volume, meaning higher sensitivity, but that's all.

thanks, missed that in the thread.

Tangband

Major Contributor
That box size thing may be true, but remember that the external/internal volume ratio is pretty high due to the thin aluminium walls; official specs for the 8030C say "Harmonic distortion at 85 dB SPL @ 1 m on axis: 50…100 Hz < 2%, >100 Hz < 0.5%" which seem very low, compared to the recently reviewed M105, for example (because it also has a 5" woofer) which does 2.5% at 100 Hz and clears 0.5% only around 300 Hz.

Are you sure? I think they use the LM3886 in their older models.

What's the problem with these amps when driver distorsion completely swamps the electronic's at levels where distorsion do become important?

If you have any evidence (trustworthy specs or measurements) of better 2-way models with a woofer that size, I'm really interested.
There is a handfull of loudspeakers that I think sounds better than genelecs 8000- serie, magnepan 3,7, Linn akudorik active , Linn Keltik, dynaudio contour 3.4 and some of the older bigger Snell loudspeakers, to name a few.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
There is a handfull of loudspeakers that I think sounds better than genelecs 8000- serie, magnepan 3,7, Linn akudorik active , Linn Keltik, dynaudio 3.4 and some of the older bigger Snell loudspeakers, to name a few.
These very differently sized speakers have nothing to do with the matter at hand, sadly.
You said that Genelec's 8030 and/or 8040 had increased distorsion in the bass, but the 8030C is supposedly better than the much more expensive Revel M105 (between 150 and 200% of the price if you add amplification) on that point; only the Neumann KH120A seems to rival it, even the JBL 705p can't reach the KH120A in the midrange distorsion, reaching 3% THD around 95-97 dB around 700-1500 Hz (as per S&R's review).
So I asked what kind of 2-way 5" woofer speaker was better, since it'd be quite amazing.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
This has nothing to do with the matter at hand, sadly. You said that Genelec's 8030 and/or 8040 had increased distorsion in the bass, but the 8030C is supposedly better than the much more expensive Revel M105 (between 150 and 200% of the price if you add amplification) on that point; only the Neumann KH120A seems to rival it, even the JBL 705p can't reach the KH120A in the midrange distorsion, reaching 3% THD around 95-97 dB around 700-1500 Hz (as per S&R's review).
So I asked what kind of 2-way 5" woofer speaker was better, since it'd be quite amazing.
What I meant was that Genelec could hade done even better, with 8040 and 8030. They are very good as they are. And I think they are better than revel m106.

capitanharlock

I heard some Gens and in my opinion the main monitors, that is from the 1238 up, are more complete.
Big cabinets and woofers help a lot.
They cost more than the 8000 series though.
But, again they are very unforgiving and accurate, and many people prefer different kind of speakers.
All of the above is valid if the speakers placement and room acoustic are go, if not we will be listening our room mostly.

Top Bottom