• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec good enough?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Google did that as a short-lived experiment. You could enable a feature where you had to answer a simple arithmetic question successfully before you could send.
A bit too lax. The real solution was found ages ago:
index.php

Attachments

• install gentoo captcha.png
    install gentoo captcha.png
    159.6 KB · Views: 1,202

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Google did that as a short-lived experiment. You could enable a feature where you had to answer a simple arithmetic question successfully before you could send.
That would be great... it could prompt for the simple equation converting decibels to amplitude. That certainly would have simplified this little “debate” :D

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be great... it could prompt for the simple equation converting decibels to amplitude. That certainly would have simplified this little “debate” :D

Seems you didn't get the "I guess we are done with this discussion". OK, I'll let you have the last word. :)

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems you didn't get the "I guess we are done with this discussion". OK, I'll let you have the last word. :)
We can be done, but I'm not satisfied with the way this discussion has ended. Assuming we're both civil adults, we should be able to conclude this more amicably than you seem to be satisfied with.

So here, I'll start: I apologize for all ad-hominem insinuations I made during this argument. While I don't think anything I said was disproportionate in intensity to the insults you initiated at me unprovoked that started all this, I do think it would have been best if I responded to your personal attacks with purely only matter-of-fact logical responses to enunciate my position on the topic of which assumptions are and are not reasonable to make about a product's implementation. Regardless of your true intentions for your original unprovoked attack on me (which I cannot really know without reading your mind), your true character would be all the more obvious to all readers here if I had responded purely logically in response to your attacks. So I do apologize for matching the hostility I perceived from you in my responses, and sincerely admit that I should not have done that.

Your turn.

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your turn.

I am sorry and I apologize for having expressed my factual objections in a way that you perceived as unprovoked insults. Now, can we finally put an end to this subtread that must be rather annoying to everyone else?

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sorry and I apologize for having expressed my factual objections in a way that you perceived as unprovoked insults. Now, can we finally put an end to this subtread that must be rather annoying to everyone else?
We are done, but unfortunately only because you are choosing to reject my sincere attempt at ending this amicably. I'll let your quote above speak for itself to readers; perhaps you were never taught that "I apologize for having expressed my factual objections in a way that you perceived as unprovoked insults" is not a genuine/sincere apology for anything (because it admits no fault on your part)? So unfortunately, my post above stands, and remains in contrast to yours. For the record, you are choosing to end it this way, despite my best efforts to be civil and amicable. So there is nothing else I can do here.

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Now, can we finally put an end to this subtread that must be rather annoying to everyone else?

Yes please! :D

I'm really starting to enjoy the idea of having a pair of Genelec G Five/8050 as the core of my main listening setup. There's no way, I'll be able to afford a set of Kii Three in the foreseeable future (to be honest... probably never), and Genelec seems to be a more affordable alternative, still deeply anchored in empirical sensibility. As a bonus they have a high WAF (I would imagine) and are built like little tanks. Kids and cats would have to get extraordinarily creative in order to damage them?

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Yes please! :D

I'm really starting to enjoy the idea of having a pair of Genelec G Five/8050 as the core of my main listening setup. There's no way, I'll be able to afford a set of Kii Three in the foreseeable future (to be honest... probably never), and Genelec seems to be a more affordable alternative, still deeply anchored in empirical sensibility. As a bonus they have a high WAF (I would imagine) and are built like little tanks. Kids and cats would have to get extraordinarily creative in order to damage them?
Could be worse, but when reaching prices like this, I'd really consider a 3-way like the Neumann KH310 or a One. This would offset most problem you get with a big 2-way (IMD, THD and power response dip).

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a bonus they have a high WAF (I would imagine) and are built like little tanks. Kids and cats would have to get extraordinarily creative in order to damage them?
Mine are pretty robust and certainly the casing and major components are built very well. But this is true for most speakers. The Genelec’s finish does seem a little sensitive and prone to scratches due to the texture (but I may be paranoid about that since one of mine actually arrived out of the box brand new with a subtle scratch on the side). Also, the coaxial tweeter/midrange is still exposed and therefore just as sensitive to damage from being poked as any other speaker.

The most robust speaker I’ve ever owned is actually the Neumann KH120A, which has built-in metal grills over each individual driver! I believe the KH80 has the same protection, though my KH310s do not. Fantastic sounding speakers too, on par with (if not better than) the 2-way Genelecs.

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Mine are pretty robust except the finish does seem a little sensitive and prone to scratches due to the texture. Also, the exposed coaxial tweeter/midrange is still just as sensitive to damage from being poked as any other speaker.

The most robust speaker I’ve ever seen is actually the Neumann KH120A, which has built-in metal grills over each individual driver! Fantastic sounding speakers too, on par with if not better than the 2-way Genelecs.
The classic 8xx0 serie is also fully "grilled". But now that you say it, I would have loved some kind of grill on the Ones.

echopraxia

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The classic 8xx0 serie is also fully "grilled". But now that you say it, I would have loved some kind of grill on the Ones.
Ah I didn’t realize that, that’s great. Yeah it would be nice if The Ones were grilled, though in my case not a serious problem. My wife definitely appreciates the fact that the KH120s (which are her home office speakers) are fully grilled and very robust due to the all aluminum enclosure. No need to stress about being really careful around them, which is very nice for desktop speakers.

P.S. And it appears that Genelec offers fully grilled speakers much larger than what Neumann has (not counting the separately available attachable metal grills), for example: https://www.genelec.com/8050b

Last edited:

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Could be worse, but when reaching prices like this, I'd really consider a 3-way like the Neumann KH310 or a One.

I know. But they both exceed my tolerance for function-over-form in a home environment.

This would offset most problem you get with a big 2-way (IMD, THD and power response dip).

Good point. Would a pair of 8030 or 8040 + a sub or two be a better solution if 2-way is required, or would it just make things worse?

The Genelec’s finish does seem a little sensitive and prone to scratches due to the texture (but I may be paranoid about that since one of mine actually arrived out of the box brand new with a subtle scratch on the side).

I wouldn't mind going for the 'RAW' finish that some of the 80X0 models are available with. That would definitely solve the problem :D

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read in several places that, power-handling apart, the 8030 was better than the 8040, with a flatter frequency response without the mediums being forward like on the 8040.

Can anyone who heard both models give his opinion on the matter ?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've read in several places that, power-handling apart, the 8030 was better than the 8040, with a flatter frequency response without the mediums being forward like on the 8040.

Can anyone who heard both models give his opinion on the matter ?

It aligns with my experience. The 8040's subtle low-Q rise towards 1kHz of about 1.5dB gives it a slightly plasticky timbre.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It aligns with my experience. The 8040's subtle low-Q rise towards 1kHz of about 1.5dB gives it a slightly plasticky timbre.

I had already counted you in the number of people saying that :D but you're not the only one to have that opinion.

Top Bottom