• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need advise, KEF Blade One Meta, B&W 801D4 or Genelec 8361+731A?

winsmyton

Sorry for the bad English ,this site is great, still learning... I will go straight to the question.

I need a setup for a room, quite big, at about 27x18x12 feet.

70% classical music, rest are Jazz and some rock/pop. I want high SPL equal or closer to the level that live music hall can produce (like Mahler symphonies)

I have auditioned KEF Blade Two Meta, B&W 802D4, Focal Scala... currently owned in smaller room, are Dynaudio Confidence C4, D&D 8C, KEF LS60, although they are all very nice speakers but none of them can play louder enough (hear distortion).

In home audition isn't possible for any brand. I need bet big...

KEF Blade One Meta, B&W 801D4 or Genelec 8361+731A? Pricing are similar for these 3.

Thank you very much!

jonfitch

If output is what you are chasing maybe you need to look at a line source or something? Point source speakers are nice for a small or medium room but if you are looking for party speakers there's no replacement for displacement.

Although looking at your room dimensions they don't look that big, it's certainly not bigger than many listening rooms at dealerships I've been to. What's the measured SPL at your listening location when you "hear" distortion?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You need bigger speakers and maybe subwoofers too to fill that big room you have @winsmyton.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
Magico-Fig.-10-1024x683.jpg

:)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
If output is what you are chasing maybe you need to look at a line source or something? Point source speakers are nice for a small or medium room but if you are looking for party speakers there's no replacement for displacement.
No problem with a point source:

Gets you up to 153 dB SPL with music content;) Or a bit smaller:

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I remember rwo guys from Stenheim brought their first two way/aluminium speaker here, this is years ago, I presume because we were at the time the Weiss distributors but it was extremely coloured, I presume they are actually measuring their designs now ( before they go into production)
Keith

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Sorry for the bad English ,this site is great, still learning... I will go straight to the question.

I need a setup for a room, quite big, at about 27x18x12 feet.

70% classical music, rest are Jazz and some rock/pop. I want high SPL equal or closer to the level that live music hall can produce (like Mahler symphonies)

I have auditioned KEF Blade Two Meta, B&W 802D4, Focal Scala... currently owned in smaller room, are Dynaudio Confidence C4, D&D 8C, KEF LS60, although they are all very nice speakers but none of them can play louder enough (hear distortion).

In home audition isn't possible for any brand. I need bet big...

KEF Blade One Meta, B&W 801D4 or Genelec 8361+731A? Pricing are similar for these 3.

Thank you very much!
Your room isn’t that big you are aware that playing really loudly will damage your hearing?
Keith

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
D&D 8C, KEF LS60,
Hi and welcome to ASR. Since you already own these two, have you tried them in the big room but with a pair of subwoofers freeing them with the burden of loud bass? Just high pass them at some 80 Hz and let the subs to the heavy lifting. I guess you would turn deaf and still they will sound clean and clear.

I would try a pair of SVS SB4000 or KEF KF92. Ideally measure the levels for flat frequency response transition, and eventually even use their EQ for knocking down a room node.

jacobacci

I remember rwo guys from Stenheim brought their first two way/aluminium speaker here, this is years ago, I presume because we were at the time the Weiss distributors but it was extremely coloured, I presume they are actually measuring their designs now ( before they go into production)
Keith
I actually bought the Stenheim Alumine THREE SEs because of their lack of coloration. And yes, they do measure a lot during development and production.
They have come a very long way since the original Alumine TWO ten years ago.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Last edited:
OP
W

winsmyton

Thanks for all the replies! It's a wonderful community.

The listening distance is planned at about 3.5-4m. Also will do some minimum room treatment. I have REW and mic ready.

The choices in my city is limited, also need consider WAF thing, KEF Blade, B&W 801, or Focal Meastro are approved by looking:facepalm::) but budget is limited.

As far as SPL, I don't really need it at insane level, just reasonable loud, but at the level, I am after the transparency, low distortion and good sound stage.

My LS60 does come with a KF92, crossed at 90HZ. It's close but didn't tried it in bigger room, too old to move things around.

Maybe KEF Blade Meta Two + 2x KF92 will do the job and saves quite a bit?

Avp1

Stenheim Alumine FIVE SE should fit the bill. Or the next model up, the Ultime Reference 2.
Stenheims are known for high sensitivity and being a benign load on amplifiers (see attached links).
I own Stenheim Alumine THREE SE. Just a happy end customer, not affiliated with Stenheim.
Best regards from Switzerland

I heard Fives in two places, each time with CH electronics. In neither case they sounded good for the money. For the size of the room I would look at large PMC or ATC models. Other large (and more expensive) speakers like Focal Grande Utopia or Magico M6 will also work. The cheapest option will likely be ATC SCM200ASLT (considering that you do not need separate amplifiers for them).

dfuller

Major Contributor
If looks weren't a concern, I'd say get Genelec 1237s or 1236s and call it a day.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I actually bought the Stenheim Alumine THREE SEs because of their lack of coloration. And yes, they do measure a lot during development and production.
They have come a very long way since the original Alumine TWO ten years ago.

Yet both designs Keith shared showed clear midrange resonances measured by Stereophile, backed up by my listening experience of a hazy midrange for the Fives I heard before I was aware of the measurements.

We are concerned with demonstrable, verifiable transparency here, not anecdotes and narratives. Boutique designs are not where you go for engineering excellence unless documentation and proof is offered.

Mtbf

Every now and then I read that someone wants high(er) SPL. But you do know that's a guarantee for a hearing aid, right? Not to mention tinnitus. Those are bad things, not only for your hobby. Hearing loss is an occupational disease for musicians. And another thing: if you want it louder, get closer.

jacobacci

Yet both designs Keith shared showed clear midrange resonances measured by Stereophile, backed up by my listening experience of a hazy midrange for the Fives I heard before I was aware of the measurements.

We are concerned with demonstrable, verifiable transparency here, not anecdotes and narratives. Boutique designs are not where you go for engineering excellence unless documentation and proof is offered.
As you wish ....

Top Bottom