• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dali speakers

jmillar

here is a quick sound comparison between Rubicon 2 & Special 40 I have made. im fully aware that this is a very flawed comparison due to multitude of factors -- its just for fun and can give every one a hint of the sound sig differences (if listened through semi-decent/neutral headphones/IEM):

Special 40's are more balanced across the range. Rubicons have a "chestiness" to their bass (that many people enjoy).

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I demoed Spektor 2, Oberon 3 and Opticon 2 MK2 at my home for a few days each. The Spektors are a step up from a soundbar but I would otherwise skip them if not seriously budget constrained.

Oberons were a big step up and had a lot off bass, too much to my taste. I only had the budget version Audyssey at that point, xt32 might have done wonders to the bass.

The Opticons were again a step up (smaller) with less bass but more refined sound overall. I remember it worked great with the usual hifi test track subjects eg. Diana Krall but the laid back experience just didn't do it for me with more casual material or movies. I finally went with Kef R5.

Still, I kept the Opticons because I think I could use them in another setup when I have more room available. I think they would work great for low(er) volume background listening for chilling with friends.

doorofnight

The R3 are technically excellent and take EQ in stride. The Rubicons simply sound "great" to most people, even with fewer technical refinements in their design. Objectivists gravitate to KEF, many subjectivists lean towards the Rubicon 2. Remember that some "imperfections" ("coloring", the polite word for distortion) actually can sound pleasing to some people.
It might well be that if you use DSP/EQ for the low frequencies, let's say up to 80 or 100Hz ,that you keep the Dali sound and that they will sound better.

steve59

Major Contributor
I got a listen to the Dali Kore $110,000 pair loudspeakers a couple weeks ago and am pretty excited what the rest of the line will sound like.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I got a listen to the Dali Kore $110,000 pair loudspeakers a couple weeks ago and am pretty excited what the rest of the line will sound like.
Ah, glad to hear that there will be a Kore LINE of speakers; I thought perhaps the big ones were just a one-off showcase speaker.

steve59

Major Contributor
The shop that has 1 of only 2 pair in the USA said the flagship was made to showcase the new line. I would buy the kore if I saw them on usam for half price. But only if I could hide the price from my family

mr-audio

Very interesting article in the January issue of the absolute sound. A whole focus on DALI and their strategy going forward. Sounds overall like they intend to step up their game in widen their distribution. This could make them a more popular brand and get more coverage in my opinion. Great article that folks a lot on their manufacturing techniques and facilities, which are pretty impressive. Definitely worth reading if you’re interested in DALI.

doorofnight

I am still waiting for measurements with actual proof about the "low distortion" woofers - compared to traditional woofers. Or some scientific points of view about this subject. Does anyone know more?

Macfox

See Stereo.de test (German) of the Rubicon 2. Look for 'Klirrfaktor' (distortion level). It's measured at 0.3% @ 63 Hz, which is an excellent result.
i-Fidelity has also done measurements of several Dali speakers with SMC, but focus on impedance, frequency response and cumulative spectral decay (using waterfall graphs). Especially the latter proved excellent. Frequency response was decent but nothing special in the low and high range. Off-axis response was a bit better.

There's also the Stereophile review with measurements of the Rubicon 8. Again, the frequently response is good but nothing special, with excellent results in the time domain.
I am still waiting for measurements with actual proof about the "low distortion" woofers - compared to traditional woofers. Or some scientific points of view about this subject. Does anyone know more?

Last edited:

doorofnight

I am still waiting for measurements with actual proof about the "low distortion" woofers - compared to traditional woofers. Or some scientific points of view about this subject. Does anyone know mo

See Stereo.de test (German of the Rubicon 2. Look for 'Klirrfaktor' (distortion level). It's measured at 0.3% @ 63 Hz, which is an excellent result.
i-Fidelity has also done measurements of several Dali speakers with SMC, but focus on impedance, frequency response and cumulative spectral decay (using waterfall graphs). Especially the latter proved excellent. Frequency response was decent but nothing special in the low and high range. Off-axis response was a bit better.

Thank you, i'll take a good look :)

steve59

Major Contributor
The proof is in the listening. I think Dali's entry level oberon line are the current bargains in speakers and after listening to the flagship Kore loudspeaker I can't wait for a line to spawn from that design.

MarcT

Forum Donor
The proof is in the listening. I think Dali's entry level oberon line are the current bargains in speakers and after listening to the flagship Kore loudspeaker I can't wait for a line to spawn from that design.
I heard the Oberon 7 at an audio show when they first came out and everyone in my group was quite impressed, for their price. I've also heard Rubicon 6 at a dealer and, to me, that tweeter module sounds very good. The bass does sound pretty "articulate" to me.

MarcT

Forum Donor
What I do think hurts Dali a bit is the pricing of their Rubicon line. While the Oberon and Opticon do sound good, when you then listen to their Rubicon, it's a big step up and then you feel like, if I can't afford their Rubicon, I'll just hold off.

Macfox

doorofnight

See Stereo.de test (German) of the Rubicon 2. Look for 'Klirrfaktor' (distortion level). It's measured at 0.3% @ 63 Hz, which is an excellent result.

There's also the Stereophile review with measurements of the Rubicon 8. Again, the frequently response is good but nothing special, with excellent results in the time domain.

Well, I've taken a look into it. But isn't 63Hz a bit too low for measuring distortion? I am not sure what this "implies" for higher fequencies and volume levels? Also, isn't THD more interesting? But not as important as a freq. response & waterfall?

doorofnight

I wonder if the Epicon 8 could add someting in SQ compared to the E6 due to the dedicated midtone woofer and compartment? Any opinions on that?

I've tried the H800Mk2 in my (damped) room (with DSP) which is not that big (370 cm wide), and the whole soundstage stood to low. Literally. Voices "stood" like 50 cms above the floor.

Ageve

any measurement of Spektor 2 / Zensor series?

Zensor 1:

Zensor 3:

Zensor 5 / 1:

Top Bottom