• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

B&W vs Estelon vs Magico - Recent Demo

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
@cpachris , with your budget you can easily look at the Focal speakers, starting with the Sopra N2 and going through the Utopia serie.
I would be surprised if the SQ is not high enough for you.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I would start by looking at really fine measuring loudspeakers irrespective of price.
Keith

DSJR

Major Contributor
I would start by looking at really fine measuring loudspeakers irrespective of price.
Keith
Having said that and scanning this thread, the Avalon speakers do look most interesting to me, as I like the triangular theme most seem to have. No idea otherwise and I suspect the start at astronomical prices and go up from there. The top Beolab model is simply far too fussy even if it does perform rather well for such an ornament.

I'm getting restless but have no money to splash out - well, I'm allowed to 'tyre kick' aren't I?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor

Gregm

WOW. There really was no comparison. I know sound is subjective, but for me, in that room, with that gear,....it wasn't even close. The Estelon's had some voodoo that just worked for me. They then asked me if I wanted to hear something from Magico that was similarly priced, and swapped speakers for the Magico S3. Again....WOW! The B&W sound that I have lived with and loved for 20+ years....just was not even in the same ball park as the Estelon and Magico speakers.

The shop guy could tell I was in love and asked if I wanted to demo the next step up, the Estelon X Diamond. These were much more expensive speakers, but the bass extension difference was clearly better and they sounded amazing.
Hi - I have listened to all of the speakers you mention (of the two Estelons mostly the X Diamond) and would personally and subjectively agree with your experience, preferring the Estelon sound (tuning) to the Magic s3 (I prefer the bigger Magicos - but they are stratospherically priced!).
Back your quest. Presumably,
- you have adequate amplification for these (you are driving the quirky B&Ws after all)
- Your listening room is big enough to accommodate
- You have some room treatment - if not, measure it and look into it. You can diy measurements: Amir has an excellent thread on this subject - "REW (or) room measurement for dummies"- all you need! Any of the speakers above output bass energy that will create havoc and other artefacts. More importantly, you won't fully appreciate your system.

As to choice of speakers - first, I would eliminate models with quirky measurements. Having done that, there is a very wide range of possibilities beyond your stated choices. Personally, I would keep the Estelons in the game and also listen to the larger Vivid Audio models, Avalon are nice but not dissimilar in tuning to the Estelons, Stenheims, Goebel (all of these utilise similar drive units & componentry). OTOH, you have products like Blumenhoffer that manage to match a horn with 15 & 18'' woofers and sound good.... and offer the perception of stunning dynamics.

The quest is part of the fun, my recommendation is: don't make up your mind tomorrow. Keep on looking !

OP
C

cpachris

Again...appreciate all the suggestions, comments and responses. I'm nearing the end of my planning journey and will begin execution shortly. I attended Southwest Audio Fest and thoroughly enjoyed hearing/seeing/touching all sorts of speakers and other components. For some reason, I kept gravitating back to the rooms with the Estelon and Magico speakers.

Just yesterday, I spent another few hours with my dealer auditioning the Estelon X Diamond and Magico M3 in a room about the size of the room I am doing at home, with some of the same components as well. Pictures below:

PXL_20240419_171112249.MP.jpg

PXL_20240419_171119770.MP.jpg

Both sounded amazing, tight and balanced, but the Estelon felt a little bigger in the lower-end. I think I've settled on the Estelon X Diamond, but am exploring the new X Diamond Signature's just released also. The form factor really does it for me and I love the sound of theses speakers also. As far as colors, I will decorate the room around color of speaker, but really like the red Estelon's...

red.png

Top Bottom