• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Bookshelf speakers with good bass response to replace my Dali Ikon 2 MK1's

ThomDJ

Hey all,

I've been looking for some replacement speakers for my Dali Ikon 2 MK1's. Lately, I've been listening to some more bass heavy music, and I'm left disappointed by the sound my current setup produces. The lower frequency tones have little impact or fall off.

My setup is:
  • Fosi Audio V3
  • Topping DX3 Pro+
  • Chromecast Audio
  • Dali Ikon 2 MK1
I've bought these speakers second-hand for around €150 (I'm European), and would prefer the same for my replacements, unless new ones in my price range would produce similar or better sound. Budget is around $250 / €250. Maximum height is 17.5" / 44.5 cm high, and around 8" / 21 cm wide.

Any suggestions for some good deals for second hand bookshelf speakers that fit my needs?

Thanks!

Klonatans

Forum Donor
If you are interested in active speakers and to use your Topping DX3 Pro as a preamp, there's currently a very good offer of Adam Audio T7V (151 EUR per piece, so slightly over your budget) on Amazon Germany. The delivery time is in November though. I've heard them and they sound decent and have plenty of LF for bookshelf speakers (going as low as 39 Hz according to official specs).

OP
T

ThomDJ

Thanks for your suggestion @Klonatans! I've checked Adam Audio out before, and the frequency range does look promising for the T7V, but I don't think getting active speakers is the way I want to go right now. I like the current modular setup, where I would be able to switch my amp in the future when the budget allows for it.

Power Pop 23

Forum Donor
Amir was impressed with the bass output in his review of the Polk ES20 bookshelf loudspeaker.

Amazon.DE is showing a used pair in their 'Amazon Retourenkauf' store for 217.50 euros - perhaps this sample has return privileges such that you can try them out in your listening space

staticV3

Master Contributor
@ThomDJ Take a look at this spreadsheet: https://www.spinorama.org/scores.html?sort=f3&reverse=false&power=passive&priceMax=300

It shows passive loudspeakers sorted by highest low frequency extension. While the Yamaha in first place is some sort of bug, the rest are listed accurately afaik.

Notable mentions are:
ModelPrice per pair [€]F3 (low frequency extension) (lower=better)Preference score (tonal accuracy)
(higher=better)
Notes
Polk T5019051Hz3.7Floorstander
Polk Signature Elite ES2030056Hz4.7
Jamo S 80322060Hz2.7Price per pair or single?
Dayton MK402X12063Hz3.7
Polk XT2022065Hz4.1
JBL Stage A13028067Hz3.4

Last edited:

Klonatans

Forum Donor
If you are looking for a good amount of bass from passive bookshelf speakers at this budget, I think you should pay attention to speakers with 8 inch woofer like previous generation Monitor Audio Bronze 100, probably second hand.

JLGF1

Be aware that the ES20 cabs are quite deep if that matters (a primary reason for their bass extension).

OP
T

ThomDJ

@staticV3; judging from the list you posted, the KEF Q150 also might be a good option if I can find those second-hand, right? Or is the woofer too small?

@Klonatans; those look interesting, you're right. I'll keep my eyes open for a good deal in case I don't like the ES20's.
EDIT: These are too wide to put them where I want them, so they're not an option, unfortunately.

@JLGF1; thanks for the heads-up! They're right on the limit of what I can fit, but I think I'm okay.

Last edited:

Klonatans

Forum Donor
Honestly speaking, I don’t see a reason to change your Dalis for the aforementioned Polks as the low frequency performance would be basically the same (Ikon 2 are pretty okayish for standmount speakers in terms of LF extension).

Dali Ikon 2: Frequency response: 42-30,000 Hz
Polk Audio Elite Signature ES 20: Frequency response: 41-40,000 Hz

Normally you cannot expect a full range performance from this size of passive speakers at this price without expensive technologies like isobaric design or passive radiator implemented. In your case I would recommend to keep your Dali speakers (I had Ikon 7 about a decade ago and they were perfectly fine) and to add an affordable subwoofer for low frequency extension.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Used powered subwoofer?

wwenze

Major Contributor
This (purple trace) is how Dali 2 measures?
1007Dali.3.jpg

Ignoring the shelf-filter, in terms of bass extension you don't really get much further than this. Speakers with the same bass at a smaller size, yes. But bookshelf speaker with more bass, probably not.

It's almost like there is a global conspiracy to limit bookshelf speakers bass extension to the same value, either around 80-100Hz anechoic or 40-60Hz in-room, regardless of the size and power rating of the speaker.

OP
T

ThomDJ

Honestly speaking, I don’t see a reason to change your Dalis for the aforementioned Polks as the low frequency performance would be basically the same (Ikon 2 are pretty okayish for standmount speakers in terms of LF extension).

Normally you cannot expect a full range performance from this size of passive speakers at this price without expensive technologies like isobaric design or passive radiator implemented. In your case I would recommend to keep your Dali speakers (I had Ikon 7 about a decade ago and they were perfectly fine) and to add an affordable subwoofer for low frequency extension.
You could be right, maybe I'm expecting more than is possible from just two bookshelf speakers (at my budget). I'm going to do a side-by-side with the Polks regardless, just to see what I make of it.

I wouldn't mind adding a subwoofer, but right now it's not an option, unfortunately.

wwenze

Major Contributor
In that case EqualizerAPO is your friend. You can squeeze out quite a bit more bass by sacrificing max volume. It's an awesome free sound upgrade.

1697404306788.png

staticV3

Master Contributor

Perfect example of why you should not rely on those basic frequency response numbers:
Frequency Response On-axis (Polk smoothed to match Dali).png
The Polk will sound significantly fuller.

eddantes

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Get a used subwoofer and save up for decent speakers in the meantime. I can't think of anything in your price range that fits the bill. Heck, you'll have a hard time on a used market with that budget. Perhaps ypu might get lucky and find a pair of Wharfedale 12.1 or .2 on the second hand market.

Even then, you'll still be craving more bass, so may as well and get a sub now, or get some used powered monitors (eg: https://www.gumtree.com/p/speakers/adam-audio-t7v-studio-monitors-pair-boxed-with-cables/1467557694)

wwenze

Major Contributor
Get EqualizerAPO anyway and do something about that Dali's treble. That is not how sound is supposed to sound like.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
In that case EqualizerAPO is your friend. You can squeeze out quite a bit more bass by sacrificing max volume. It's an awesome free sound upgrade.

Not with that little Fosi amp.

@ThomDJ Do you have the 48V supply or the 32V on the little Fosi?

D

Deleted member 48726

You need to choose as full range is impossible with small speakers.

1. Better response by EQ - Requires either new amp or that you listen to lower volume from now on

2. Active subwoofer, requires some sort of EQ to high-pass your speakers. Different options exist. A used sub with crossover in/outputs does the crossover for you, so maybe look for something used like this. Older SVS had this feature with in-built crossover.

OP
T

ThomDJ

View attachment 319099
Thanks @wwenze for the informative comments!

@restorer-john I have the 48V power supply.

@Holdt I'll try option 1, as I'm not usually playing music at high volume.

I would like to reiterate that getting a subwoofer is not an option at this time, even though this is the most straightforward solution. I'm also aware that getting full range speakers is not possible at this size. Just looking to maximize my own sound experience within the current situational constraints, which are obviously not aurally ideal.

What I'm looking for is better definition at the low end / warmer sound, without suffering too much elsewhere. The current setup doesn't produce a pleasant sound when listening to bass-heavy music. Again, it's very much possible my expectations are too high.

Thanks for the comments, everyone! It's very helpful to see all of your perspectives.

Top Bottom