• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Dali speakers

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
I see relatively little discussion about Dali speakers here, and nothing in the master review index. I wonder why? My impression is that these are popular speakers, with a reputation for delivering detail as well as musicality. Perhaps they are more common in Europe and Asia, than the US? I know that prices differ quite a lot (tens of percent, accounting for currency conversion) from one country to the next.

Many years ago I needed a small cheap bookshelf speaker for a temporary apartment, and heard the Zensor 1 at a shop. I was blown away by how good they sounded for the price (I paid a couple hundred bucks for the pair). I always thought that I might purchase a higher Dali pair and I always try to give a listen when I’m at an audio shop. I recall hearing the diminutive Menuet...I liked them...a lot...more than the popular KEF LS50 that sits at a similar price/quality point. The Menuets were going to be my next bookshelf speaker pair. But lately I’ve been scoping out the Rubicon 2, which add depth and meat well beyond what a Menuet can manage given its size constraints, but also delivering the tremendous detail and stage that I like about the Menuets. The Rubicon’s also seem to out-perform many popular competitors at similar price levels (such as the KEF R3), in terms of dynamics and detail (at least to my ears).

I plan to order a pair of Rubicon 2 in another week, but still open to alternative ideas, suggestions, or thoughts/impressions from others who know these speakers.

ririt

8B0DE70F-AD64-434C-84EA-7F3AD3FCC65F.jpeg

The above is some measurement I found on a german web site about the Dali Rubicon LCR

OP
Tokyo_John

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
The above is some measurement I found on a german web site about the Dali Rubicon LCR

Looks nice! The LCR are their wall mounted speakers, and they seem impressive for their size. In my current place I have thick concrete walls, which would be perfect for these, but I'll be moving out in a year to another place and not sure that I'll have solid walls any longer.

They also have an active version, the Dali Rubicon 2 C that have a very nice reputation so far...but I'm keen to use other separates and play with my system.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I recall hearing the diminutive Menuet...I liked them...a lot...more than the popular KEF LS50 that sits at a similar price/quality point. The Menuets were going to be my next bookshelf speaker pair. But lately I’ve been scoping out the Rubicon 2, which add depth and meat well beyond what a Menuet can manage given its size constraints, but also delivering the tremendous detail and stage that I like about the Menuets.
I remember listening to Dali Mentor Menuets a couple of times, years ago, and being absolutely floored by the sound despite the small size - these were actually #1 on my wishlist for years :)

So last year when we finally decided to buy new speakers, one of the brands we auditioned were Dali (other contenders being Q Acoustics, ELAC and Revel). Unfortunately the dealer didn't have Menuets in stock, so we listened to Dali Oberon 3 and Dali Opticon 1 and 2. All of them sounded pretty good, but we liked Revel M16 more so went for that in the end.

Anyway, I really would love to see spins and distortion measurements of some Dali speakers!

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
' i imagine just how terrible the brand measure XD.
Haem.

There're some DALI measuring poorly (Oberon, Rubicon) and some showing very good performance (Opticon).

For the record, the Opticon 8:
001378-0.jpg

(From Stereo DE)

The Off-Axis response is nothing short of excellent, as is the crossover between the two tweeters. As it should be: DALI claims these speakers to be designed for listening with no toe-in. The impedance shows very few variations.

From SoundStage...

I agree the distorsion isn't SOTA, but should not be an audible concern either.

Last edited:
OP
Tokyo_John

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
I remember listening to Dali Mentor Menuets a couple of times, years ago, and being absolutely floored by the sound despite the small size - these were actually #1 on my wishlist for years :)

Yeah it was crazy, when I heard them I couldn’t figure out which speaker boxes they were coming out of, my brain automatically overlooked those tiny little boxes, there is no way it was those...but it was indeed. Also, the sound field was very wide, so that the source was not obvious. These are superb little speakers.

So last year when we finally decided to buy new speakers, one of the brands we auditioned were Dali (other contenders being Q Acoustics, ELAC and Revel). Unfortunately the dealer didn't have Menuets in stock, so we listened to Dali Oberon 3 and Dali Opticon 1 and 2. All of them sounded pretty good, but we liked Revel M16 more so went for that in the end.

I also considered the M16, they dig a bit deeper in bass and more meaty sound for a bookshelf/standmounter. But then I discovered the Rubicon 2, which are just like bigger and better versions of the Menuets, and although they cost twice as much I won’t be craving a subwoofer so much. I would very much like to audition the Epicon 2, but they are another factor of two more pricey and I wonder how much of that cost goes into improving sound vs. the fancy curvy cabinets and other visual frills.

OP
Tokyo_John

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
Thanks, I very much like what I see here. The bass bump in these speakers seems to be intended to make up for their relatively small size, while delivering deeper bass than they ought to be capable of doing (mitigating the need for a sub). According to some accounts it is a formula that works well provided that it is powered by an amp that can keep up with the extra power required and fast dynamics to keep it tight and focused. Reading some reviews it appears that the bass response is also sensitive to placement (distance from wall, corners, etc.) and other aspects of room acoustics (I guess this is always the most important factor), which can be adjusted and optimized. Basically, the bass can be de-emphasized, as I wish, but I have some head room to begin...nice to have that with bookshelf speakers.

My current plan is to drive these with a March Audio P252 direct from DAC (D90) with digital attenuation/volume control, but I may spring for a clean preamp if I need more than 20dB attenuation regularly.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I see relatively little discussion about Dali speakers here, and nothing in the master review index. I wonder why? My impression is that these are popular speakers, with a reputation for delivering detail as well as musicality. Perhaps they are more common in Europe and Asia, than the US? I know that prices differ quite a lot (tens of percent, accounting for currency conversion) from one country to the next.

Many years ago I needed a small cheap bookshelf speaker for a temporary apartment, and heard the Zensor 1 at a shop. I was blown away by how good they sounded for the price (I paid a couple hundred bucks for the pair). I always thought that I might purchase a higher Dali pair and I always try to give a listen when I’m at an audio shop. I recall hearing the diminutive Menuet...I liked them...a lot...more than the popular KEF LS50 that sits at a similar price/quality point. The Menuets were going to be my next bookshelf speaker pair. But lately I’ve been scoping out the Rubicon 2, which add depth and meat well beyond what a Menuet can manage given its size constraints, but also delivering the tremendous detail and stage that I like about the Menuets. The Rubicon’s also seem to out-perform many popular competitors at similar price levels (such as the KEF R3), in terms of dynamics and detail (at least to my ears).

I plan to order a pair of Rubicon 2 in another week, but still open to alternative ideas, suggestions, or thoughts/impressions from others who know these speakers.

Would love to see measurements of Dali speakers. I find some of their speaker finishes very attractive, visually. Never heard a pair though.

richard12511

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks, I very much like what I see here. The bass bump in these speakers seems to be intended to make up for their relatively small size, while delivering deeper bass than they ought to be capable of doing (mitigating the need for a sub)./QUOTE]
Indeed. Revel seems to do the same thing with most of their bookshelf speakers

Last edited:

Astojab

Thanks, I very much like what I see here. The bass bump in these speakers seems to be intended to make up for their relatively small size, while delivering deeper bass than they ought to be capable of doing (mitigating the need for a sub). According to some accounts it is a formula that works well provided that it is powered by an amp that can keep up with the extra power required and fast dynamics to keep it tight and focused. Reading some reviews it appears that the bass response is also sensitive to placement (distance from wall, corners, etc.) and other aspects of room acoustics (I guess this is always the most important factor), which can be adjusted and optimized. Basically, the bass can be de-emphasized, as I wish, but I have some head room to begin...nice to have that with bookshelf speakers.

My current plan is to drive these with a March Audio P252 direct from DAC (D90) with digital attenuation/volume control, but I may spring for a clean preamp if I need more than 20dB attenuation regularly.

Happy to help. I can say I heartd the Dali Rubicon 6 and they sounded laid back and open. But I heard them against the B&W 702, which in camparison probably makes a lot of speakers sound better, since I really disliked their tonal balance and medicore soundstage.

Hotwetrat

Would love to see measurements of Dali speakers. I find some of their speaker finishes very attractive, visually. Never heard a pair though.

I've had the Zensor 7, Ikon mk2 and Mentor Menuet, for the price, the Zensor is an enjoyable listen, Ikon sounded nice too, a good step up, but yeah, the Menuet, if I could go back in time, I would not be selling these, gutted to this day, I bought them brand new for £500...

OP
Tokyo_John

Tokyo_John

Forum Donor
Friend of mine got Dali Zensor 1. They sounded tinny and without bass. Here's measuremens from Stereophile:

712Dalifig3.jpg

I was not impressed. Maybe their other product lines are better.

This is a fair reflection of what these speakers sound like when they are away from walls. I would recommend to your friend that he puts them a bit closer to a solid back wall, and even close to corners, if possible. It makes a big difference in the bass response and helps these speakers a lot. Otherwise he’ll need a sub with crossover at around 100Hz to pick up the low end. Until I figured out optimal placement myself, I craved a sub woofer (but living environment was not good for that).

I find the Zensor 1s to be very musical and fun to listen to, although they are more laid back in nature and don’t really stand up and grab me as a listener. But there is a lot of competition at their price point. The Menuets are a significant step up, and really stand out vs competition in their budget range.

Top Bottom