• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DALI Oberon Vokal Center Speaker Review

Rate this center speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 10 6.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 52 32.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 88 55.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 10 6.3%

• Total voters

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I think you are missing my point. I know exactly what centers are made to do. I own an MTM, a 2.5 way and a true 3 way version. All have had usage over the years, and all are still quite "Usable" to hear voices and center channel sounds. Not all are ideal or the same of course.

The flaws of an MTM do matter for sure, but just not to the extremes some are claiming.

In other words, there are also OTHER flaws of small living room theatre usage that are even bigger than the dispersion of a center speaker, yet they do not even get mentioned.

If one sits a good bit off axis of the center speaker in most small to moderate living rooms, they are then sitting DIRECTLY in front of ONLY the left or right main speaker, and that issue dwarfs the limited midrange dispersion of a cheaper MTM speaker, at least in my experience.

I have found that at a "PROPER DISTANCE" the limited MTM dispersion, is NOT as grand an issue as some claim.
Sitting far too close to the TV and speakers creates more of an issue for sure, but it creates other larger issues.

Small rooms and close sitting distance create multiple speaker issues, not limited to just MTM dispersion.

Absolutely all the right points hit in this post. I could not agree more.

This is the reality of of living with a +/- 15 degree dispersion center channel:

And:

Short version:
There is not much content in the affected area--at least that most people care about. And, sitting too close to any side speakers is far more of a problem, and this is an unfortunate reality in many rooms we use as home theaters.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yup. Auditioned the new Dali Epikore, before Christmas,

Epikore 11 I presume?

I've just heard this speakers and zowee...it's fun!

and found exactly that the tweeter was definitely some dB's higher than everything else. Haven't got any measurements of those, sadly - but the Kore seems to be exactly like it. This whole cone/dome/ribbon combo, might have something to do with it.
https://www.hifinews.com/content/dali-kore-loudspeaker-lab-report
Dali Kore.jpg

I must say, that the speaker sounded way better than almost all other high-end speakers I've ever listened too - if you compensated for that "added" tweeter response.

Yeah, didn't seem perfectly neutral but not super far off. The combination of smoothness, bigger than life presentation and a sense of power and ease makes for really fun listening! A combo of lively energy yet non-fatiguing.

Digital_Thor

Epikore 11 I presume?

I've just heard this speakers and zowee...it's fun!

Yeah, didn't seem perfectly neutral but not super far off. The combination of smoothness, bigger than life presentation and a sense of power and ease makes for really fun listening! A combo of lively energy yet non-fatiguing.
I agree. I think it is a great speaker. But I did find it fatiguing, because I'm used to a more neutral speaker. I often find more expensive high-end speaker, to raise the tweeter level - one way or the other (parts of it) - to make it sound more detailed.
It's like in the beginning of using subwoofers. They get turned up way too loud, to really enhance the sensation of the fact that you have a subwoofer - rather than augmenting the lower octaves smoothly and with authority.

Back on center speakers, I would definitely go for a bit larger one. Since the smaller one's, tend to boost the lower frequencies, that on one hand gives them fullness and power to the voices - but on the other hand, often get boosted by a ported construction - rather than actual neutral tuning and bigger/capable drivers.
The port resonance and general lower level, below around 700Hz, is to me a telling of something not neutral. But this a purely theoretical view, since I haven't heard this one.
It should measure like the C10 - but just with bass.....
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...vel-concerta-c10-review-center-speaker.28918/
Maybe that could work with a bit of EQ and a sub that integrates well.
Or else aim a bit higher - 4 times.... ;)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/revel-c208-review-center-speaker.21303/

A center speaker is very important for movies with surround. Around 70-80% is speech.... so.... definitely an important part.

Jukka

It's a center speaker, it's main job is to disperse sound horizontally, so you should give that more weight. Headless.

beagleman

Major Contributor
It's a center speaker, it's main job is to disperse sound horizontally, so you should give that more weight. Headless.

I disagree. A center speaker does not have to disperse sound far horizontally.....
Only if one arranges their theatre room poorly would that matter.

It is up the the owner to arrange a home theatre to not have seats that are so close to the TV that the angle in relation to the center is extremely wide.
In my room, all three seats on my couch are at a good enough distance that NO one is far off axis from the center speaker or the actual TV viewing.

My Far left and right seats are only off axis a small amount.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
I disagree. A center speaker does not have to disperse sound far horizontally.....
Only if one arranges their theatre room poorly would that matter.

It is up the the owner to arrange a home theatre to not have seats that are so close to the TV that the angle in relation to the center is extremely wide.
In my room, all three seats on my couch are at a good enough distance that NO one is far off axis from the center speaker or the actual TV viewing.

My Far left and right seats are only off axis a small amount.

Agreed. Job 1 is to cover the required seating area adequately, which 30 degrees of dispersion usually will. Job 2 is to handle enough SPL with low enough distortion to carry up to 80% of the program material.

OpticonPrime

They made a big brother: Dali Oberon Grand Vokal:

How would they compare to each other?

I have the Oberon Vokal and the Opticon Vokal mk1 and the difference is hard to hear in a normal living room.
Is the Oberon Grand Vokal a better choice to add some more body?

beagleman

Major Contributor
I found 21 passive center channel speakers that were announced in 2023. Link to my thread.

Most of those are MTM centers, which just goes to show what speaker manufacturers are making these days! :facepalm:

Of those, the center channels that are not MTM, of most interest are:

ManufacturerModelPrice USDDesignTypeWoofer SizeMidrange SizeMfg
KefR2 Meta1.4k/each3-way
coaxial
centerDual 5.25"5"Link
KefR6 Meta2k/each3-way
coaxial
centerDual 6.5"5"Link
PhilharmonicHT Center1.2k/each3-way
center
Dual 6.5"4"Link

Excluding overpriced 3-ways...

I would like to see any of these centers measured! :D
Is this comment Sarcasm, or do you believe single center speakers over $1,000 are not over priced?

Or do I completely not get your comment, in a thread about a 400 some dollar center>??

bansuri

Currently I am using emotiva c1+ as center speaker with Dali Opticon mk2 fronts (Denonx4500). Not sure if I switch over to Opticon centre, will it be a value add apart from timbre matching concept. No demo possible. Could anyone who use VOKAL Opticon can share experience for dialogue clarity? Thanks

OpticonPrime

Currently I am using emotiva c1+ as center speaker with Dali Opticon mk2 fronts (Denonx4500). Not sure if I switch over to Opticon centre, will it be a value add apart from timbre matching concept. No demo possible. Could anyone who use VOKAL Opticon can share experience for dialogue clarity? Thanks

Watch this video first it will answer your questions about timbre matching and what makes a "good" center speaker.

I have the Opticon Vokal beside Oberon 7's after having a Oberon Vokal. Because I use EQ I don't hear any difference between the series.
Coming from an Oberon Vokal I think the Opticon is a little bit better.

bansuri

Watch this video first it will answer your questions about timbre matching and what makes a "good" center speaker.

I have the Opticon Vokal beside Oberon 7's after having a Oberon Vokal. Because I use EQ I don't hear any difference between the series.
Coming from an Oberon Vokal I think the Opticon is a little bit better.
Thanks, will watch it. For now will stick to my c1+

Top Bottom