• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap class D amps. Andrew Robinsons take.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
but I just wish those companies would be a little more transparent in describing max output power (plus not at 10% THD+N).

you need 48v 10A powersupply to get to 300W at 10% THD but it is very much possible with these TPA3255 amplifiers.

GabrielPhoto

All I see from that useless video is someone "motivated" by his friends (you know, the ones that send free gear) to badmouth those cheap amps so people stop buying them and buy the "popular" brands instead. A lot of BS with little sprinkles of truth here and there.
Then again...what else did you expect from him?

WDeranged

I got back into audio a few years back with no preconceptions or even knowledge of amplifier class. I started with an ancient Yamaha surround amp in stereo mode. It was very uninspiring. Next I got a little Fosi amp for $100. It was worse. It sounded flat, dry and scratchy.

Eventually I got a Yamaha A-S301 for a bargain. That's the sound I remembered from the days when I had a good separate system.

Could be I'm just used to a less than perfect frequency response. I dunno.

SuperDerpBro

I don't fully understand the part where he says they can damage your speakers. I've tried 3 of these Class D amps, and I don't hear a high pitched noise...

I've been trying out the a07 for a few months.. It makes a tiny bit of noise on the left tweeter. I mean you have to put your ear nearly on the tweeter to hear it. Am I damaging my speakers? I never turn the amp off..

JPA

Forum Donor
I don't fully understand the part where he says they can damage your speakers. I've tried 3 of these Class D amps, and I don't hear a high pitched noise...

I've been trying out the a07 for a few months.. It makes a tiny bit of noise on the left tweeter. I mean you have to put your ear nearly on the tweeter to hear it. Am I damaging my speakers? I never turn the amp off..
I haven't watched the video, but I'm guessing he's referring to the old clipping myth. Years ago the audio magazines propagated the idea that underpowered amps could be easily driven into clipping (which is true), and that when they clipped they would send lots of ultrasonic energy to your tweeters and burn them out (which is not true).

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
He is an entertainer. But this video is a great perspective on the whole group of YouTube reviewers. None of them are truly independent.

I would argue that the ONLY truly independent reviewer is the one who never gets anything sent by the manufacturer. In the US, we have Consumer Reports.

Archimago and Amir are objective but get some gear sent by manufacturers which introduces some “selection bias” in the content, but the objective approach makes their reporting reliable. That said, when a manufacturer sends a product, glitches are more likely to be worked through before publication. That’s the right thing to do, but it puts gear sent in by readers at a potential weakness.

I have never taken any audio product from a manufacturer, but even I am biased. If there is something that will hurt my resale value, I might not post the results until my unit is sold. Likewise, when I favor something personally I will work harder to analyze it (like the Sony TA-ZH1ES or even the Rapahelite amp with multiple speaker loads tested) to try to figure out why I like it.

In every case, my goal is to identify one’s blind spots and biases and enjoy the music.
Can't always rely on CR. They have bias and cannot expertly review everything.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't always rely on CR. They have bias and cannot expertly review everything.

Agreed on both points, but they at least can say they have the some of
the least commercial conflict of interest…

SuperDerpBro

I haven't watched the video, but I'm guessing he's referring to the old clipping myth. Years ago the audio magazines propagated the idea that underpowered amps could be easily driven into clipping (which is true), and that when they clipped they would send lots of ultrasonic energy to your tweeters and burn them out (which is not true).
In the vid he says he, and the woman who never shows her face, can hear a high pitched noise with all of the amps they tested. Then he goes on to say long term damage to speakers. It's really vague and basically unexplained. Being new to this hobby I'm now worried I'm damaging my speakers lol :(

Mojo Warrior

I feel that we are comparing apples to oranges. Audio reviewers function within a set of rules, both written and unwritten. Some review samples are provided by the manufacturer and others are purchased anonymously. Quality control issues can arise with random samples versus pre-screened samples.

Otherwise I will take issue with his selection of loudspeakers. A $99 amp should be evaluated with loudspeakers costing $200-400/pair. Not $2000 speakers.

I thought he also made some valid points. Such as a lack features and expensive power supply upgrades. As much as we appreciate Amir's devotion we should leave our biases aside and avoid knee jerk reactions.

Although Mr Robinson is a trained and experienced professional reviewer his opinions are subjective. I doubt that most people could detect a 1-2 decibel sound difference. Kristi is truly a naive listener and is probably less subject to bias. And yes appearances do matter to prospective buyers.

A/B DBT is still the Gold Standard when comparing different products. Which I don't believe was done for his review.

In the end you get what you pay for. Especially when it comes to reliability and lifespan. However, even expensive gear can suffer premature failure.

Last edited:

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In the vid he says he, and the woman who never shows her face, can hear a high pitched noise with all of the amps they tested. Then he goes on to say long term damage to speakers. It's really vague and basically unexplained. Being new to this hobby I'm now worried I'm damaging my speakers lol :(
But please.... Don't be influenced by this charlatanism

jdg78

Same here. I was completely puzzled by his comments about the constant high-pitched noise, and potential damage to your speakers.

I own 4 of these inexpensive class-D amps from various manufacturers (Aiyima A07, Fosi Audio TB10D, SMSL A300 & Loxjie A30) all in regular use, and I’ve never heard idle noise from any them. In fact one of the reasons I like them so much is that they are pretty much dead quiet.

I don’t think my hearing is so far gone that I’m not picking up on it, but my wife and 8-year old daughter (whose hearing is undoubtably better than mine) don’t hear anything either.

The fact that he claims to be getting this kind of noise across multiple units makes me wonder if there’s some other issue in his system causing it.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The fact that he claims to be getting this kind of noise across multiple units makes me wonder if there’s some other issue in his system causing it.
Most likely. But I doubt he's motivated to figure that out. He seems to have an agenda.

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
As as I wrote elsewhere, this is the usual bs. This guy is an actor and doesn't know anything on the subject of audio (but he is a good actor). He is not an engineer.

As an actor with his source of income depending on YouTube videos , he needs drama, revelations, betrayal...

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
You are not. He is full of it. Clipping at extremely high volumes might damage. Have to go out of way to damage. Teenage stuff.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Same here. I was completely puzzled by his comments about the constant high-pitched noise, and potential damage to your speakers.

I own 4 of these inexpensive class-D amps from various manufacturers (Aiyima A07, Fosi Audio TB10D, SMSL A300 & Loxjie A30) all in regular use, and I’ve never heard idle noise from any them. In fact one of the reasons I like them so much is that they are pretty much dead quiet.

I don’t think my hearing is so far gone that I’m not picking up on it, but my wife and 8-year old daughter (whose hearing is undoubtably better than mine) don’t hear anything either.

Bull crap issue.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Agreed on both points, but they at least can say they have the some of
the least commercial conflict of interest…
Bias is the conflict. CR doesn't rate Speed Queen favorably. Only thing missing is the coin slot. Built like a tank.

ThoFi

As always subjectivists and objectivists fight with each other.
Who is right?
Measurements are facts and can’t be ignored.
Subjective experiences also.
We are only talking about HiFi and everyone is right.
Lets enjoy the music (I hope this is appropriate here in this forum )

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As always subjectivists and objectivists fight with each other.
Who is right?
Measurements are facts and can’t be ignored.
Subjective experiences also.
We are only talking about HiFi and everyone is right.
Lets enjoy the music (I hope this is appropriate here in this forum )
I think it's a matter of being talked into spending more money on an amplifier. Some people can't really afford spending pointlessly.

Top Bottom