• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap class D amps. Andrew Robinsons take.

ThoFi

I think it's a matter of being talked into spending more money on an amplifier. Some people can't really afford spending pointlessly.

agree, but its the customers decision to buy more expensive gear (yes, if he can afford it) if he prefers it…
endless discussion
(note: I personally like my inferior measured SET 300B more than my Class D amp. I do not understand but that’s fine for me)
oh and yes, YT „reviewers“ should be more aware of their responsibility to customers.
on the other hand, customers must be more cautious to not believe every word spoken on YT, magazines….
(cheap-audio-man …. OH MY GOD)

D

Deleted member 48726

I think it's a matter of being talked into spending more money on an amplifier. Some people can't really afford spending pointlessly.
For me moral plays the largest role in how I feel about these talking salesmen on youtube.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
agree, but its the customers decision to buy more expensive gear (yes, if he can afford it) if he prefers it…
Of course. But the reason people are worked up at Robinson here is that he offers no actual proof of his conjectures. He influences people, so that matters.

ThoFi

and I think too many spend their time (lots of time) in forums and threads any spit out their „knowledge„ while hiding behind their keyboard

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
and I think too many spend their time (lots of time) in forums and threads any spit out their „knowledge„ while hiding behind their keyboard
Around here, you get called out if you say dumb stuff.

ThoFi

Reviewers talk about synergy…
translation for me: e.g. if you have a certain music library a not perfect (distortion factory) HiFI gear is easier, nicer, more pleasant …
Am I right?
Is the reviewer right?
Is the objectivist right?
Is the subjectivist right?

D

Deleted member 48726

translation for me: e.g. if you have a certain music library a not perfect (distortion factory) HiFI gear is easier, nicer, more pleasant …
Am I right?
Is the reviewer right?
1683643209518.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Am I right?
Is the reviewer right?
My opinion: they're your ears, listen to what you like. Just don't tell us it's high fidelity once it has passed through a distortion box ;)

Gruesome

Forum Donor
Same here. I was completely puzzled by his comments about the constant high-pitched noise, and potential damage to your speakers.

I own 4 of these inexpensive class-D amps from various manufacturers (Aiyima A07, Fosi Audio TB10D, SMSL A300 & Loxjie A30) all in regular use, and I’ve never heard idle noise from any them. In fact one of the reasons I like them so much is that they are pretty much dead quiet.

I don’t think my hearing is so far gone that I’m not picking up on it, but my wife and 8-year old daughter (whose hearing is undoubtably better than mine) don’t hear anything either.

The fact that he claims to be getting this kind of noise across multiple units makes me wonder if there’s some other issue in his system causing it.
I had to send back an Arylic A50+ because of a very noticeable hiss. The Loxjie A30 in comparison does not have that hiss. So some cheap amplifiers do have problems. Ironically the A50 (predecessor of the A50+, with apparently the same hiss problem) is what that video channel had been recommending to their viewers.

hnash53

Why would anyone on ASR watch something from Andrew Robinson to begin with?

You should think twice about the YouTubers to watch instead. :p
What's wrong with watching Andrew Robinson?

Last edited:

Andysu

Major Contributor
class d it consist of various remarkably dynamic range essentially a great amplifier in space

Verig

Otherwise I will take issue with his selection of loudspeakers. A $99 amp should be evaluated with loudspeakers costing $200-400/pair. Not $2000 speakers.
Why? If the amp is powerful enough it should be a fine match. Are you saying that people who buy $2000 speakers only buy $2000 amps? I don't think their ability scales the same.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why? If the amp is powerful enough it should be a fine match. Are you saying that people who buy $2000 speakers only buy $2000 amps? I don't think their ability scales the same.
It's a commonly held belief reinforced by the industry that you can't match cheap with expensive regardless of the actual capabilities of the units in question.

If I had a pound for the number of times I've been told I shouldn't be using a £130 DAC with fifteen grands worth of amps and loudspeakers I could buy a more expensive DAC.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It's a commonly held belief reinforced by the industry that you can't match cheap with expensive regardless of the actual capabilities of the units in question.

If I had a pound for the number of times I've been told I shouldn't be using a £130 DAC with fifteen grands worth of amps and loudspeakers I could buy a more expensive DAC.
and it's the same logic they use to persuade people to buy expensive wire for expensive fixtures, even though any electrician's wire of adequate gauge would do the job

Verig

I had to send back an Arylic A50+ because of a very noticeable hiss. The Loxjie A30 in comparison does not have that hiss. So some cheap amplifiers do have problems. Ironically the A50 (predecessor of the A50+, with apparently the same hiss problem) is what that video channel had been recommending to their viewers.
Slight hiss is normal. With sensitive speakers its common to hear hiss like 30cm from the tweeter. High pitched noise (more like a constant tone than just "grain") on the other hand means something is wrong. Also, a clearly heard noise from the amp itself, unless it has a toroid which may hum a bit, is not normal. But again, slight hum is very different from shrill noise.

Verig

It would be interesting to try newer chip amps with 100+ sensitive speakers. Last time I tried the circuits were so full of crap that it was a no go and then there's the cheap volume pot which is totally unusable. 2W (actually clean power) with good pot would be nice. But really a niche of the niche market.

Top Bottom