• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Cheap class D amps. Andrew Robinsons take.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Is it just me or does Andrew look like Wil Wheaton? :D

1683288968319.jpeg
1683289030020.png

JSmith

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
His videos have nice production value, but he reminds me of the type of audio salesman I would purposefully avoid back when one could actually visit a real showroom.
That's why I avoided those places, with few exceptions. Sometimes the salesman would just answer questions, but otherwise it got old fast. I suspect that engineers are impossible to sell to, in any event.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the problem i see here is besides the lack of ABX is that the robinsons are strong into class a/b so i'm guessing they just dont like class d...

this can be seen where they keep banging on with the cambridge axa25... i guarantee this is going to measure like shit... but if you like that sound then you like that sound

JayGilb

Major Contributor
That's why I avoided those places, with few exceptions. Sometimes the salesman would just answer questions, but otherwise it got old fast. I suspect that engineers are impossible to sell to, in any event.
There were no other places to purchase audio gear in the old days. I only had two, maybe three audio shops to select from, unless I wanted to make a 3 hour round trip to shop in a metropolitan area.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I reckon he doesn't want to stop manufacturers sending him expensive gear - if he's going to say that the cheapo stuff is just as good. :D
I think this is exactly the situation, I believe he is basically leaving the subjective YouTube reviewing of cheaper class D amp to the CheapAudioman. I actually think they were talking

D

Deleted member 48726

I think this is exactly the situation, I believe he is basically leaving the subjective YouTube reviewing of cheaper class D amp to the CheapAudioman. I actually think they were talking
Oh man, the audacity of those people! -I don't want to believe what you say is true. -But it sounds plausible. :(
I don't get how they can have a camera right in their faces and say the stuff they do whilst knowing hundreds of thousands are actually listening to what they tell.

prerich

the problem i see here is besides the lack of ABX is that the robinsons are strong into class a/b so i'm guessing they just dont like class d...

this can be seen where they keep banging on with the cambridge axa25... i guarantee this is going to measure like shit... but if you like that sound then you like that sound
The Robinson's have no problem with class D amplification. They've recommended class D amps before. Your guess is what we call in the "interpretation of text" an eisegesis...reading into it ones own ideals. You would be correct if you said they have recommended more A/B amps than class D, but Andrew has been very big on Class D (especially Crown DriveCore in the past).
We have a home page post of a review of a class A amp (Raphaelite CS30-MKII 300B), that doesn't measure well (SINAD of 22db), but the sound is enjoyed. Besides the science of physics and acoustics- the science of the mind must also be put into play (psychology). The science of life or the body (biology and auditory health), as was stated by one member - like Bo Katan Kryze, it is possible to walk both paths (objectivity and subjectivity).
I understand this is ASR and it's about the numbers - but the numbers are only used to show that a product isn't defective in its design. I listened to Amir's video on understanding speaker measurements and he states a lot of things concerning the room, where you're sitting in relation to your speakers, etc.....It's a great watch, I see that the numbers are not the end all, they're just a start. If you noticed in Andrew's video he states that performance changed from one listening space to his current. Could it actually be the space (if you change a variable you will change a result)? His current space is much larger than his old one, and if the amp had issues pushing the Klipsch 800's to 85db (which is VERY LOUD) - it could be that the amp doesn't have the necessary power supply to do what Andrew required it to do? I'm just asking questions here.
As far as liking that sound.....Andrew does state, and this is one truth that none of us can argue with ..."Nobody has to like the sound of your stereo, but you".

Oh and I can add this....Amir really did recommend the Wilson TuneTot with equalization....almost 60% of ASR respondents gave it a headless panther.

Palladium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you noticed in Andrew's video he states that performance changed from one listening space to his current. Could it actually be the space (if you change a variable you will change a result)? His current space is much larger than his old one

Ah yes the very fair and balanced "A corolla must suck because it can't beat a F1 on a track" argument.

prerich

Ah yes the very fair and balanced "A corolla must suck because it can't beat a F1 on a track" argument.
I have no issue with a Toyota Corolla if it and a F1 are both going 70mph on a straight track, and measurement has to begin when both vehicles reach 70mph. 70mph is 70mph...right...that's objective. I may not even want to go over 70mph - that would make the F1 overkill in many people's assessments. Do I like the F1 for its looks (subjective) and not it's performance (objective)?
Your statement doesn't fairly or accurately represent my text. Once we pass the objective measurements of a product, everything else becomes subjective. This is the crux of my statement. I used to go in on reviewing so many dacs that offer nothing more...but I had to step back and see that my thoughts were subjective. The more I wanted... actually made the dac a new product, our subjectivity and what we think a product should offer (beyond objective base measurements) inadvertently spills over...but we don't see it. Apologies to @Amir for ever going in on you for reviewing too many similar products.
My speakers are over 20 years old, but I have no reason to change - they measure well, extremely efficient, and most of all...I like the way the system sounds (forget what the artist intended - like my food, I want it to serve me - if I don't like it...I don't chew...even if it's perfectly prepared in the eyes of culinary experts). My choice of amps...I like the way they look...I could get cheaper amps that perform just as well (maybe better ...but I wouldn't be able to hear the difference), but I like the ascetic of McIntosh and they keep their resale value. You see... I agree with you - yet I see the other side of the coin.
The statement you made (coupled with classic sarcasm - as textual analysis would confirm...sarcasm is the use of language that normally signifies the opposite in order to mock or convey contempt . Sarcasm in itself lends to subjectivity, unless the dataset leads to show that it is a common though among a specific group. That makes the data objective to that view - thereby making it an intended sarcastic statement for that group). However the use of sarcasm in this situation is refuted as another classic example of eisegesis - reading one's own thoughts into what a particular text is saying (word science is cool too). The text has been explained and defined by the writer himself (as underlined above), along with it's meaning. Now it remains up to you to believe what I'm saying about my own original statement (as I am the author).

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_7402.jpeg
The one thing I would add, because I watched the video, is that he mentioned that the frequency sweep of one of the cheap amps was different each time he ran it (in the high frequencies where noise is less likely to be an issue).

His video is actually measurement heavy (for him).
1- talks about max SPL achieved with the cheap amps at 100%
2- talks FR difference at the speaker level

Instead of hammering these YouTube subjectivists, the goal should be to help them introduce more measurements (which Andrew Robinson has done).

Top Bottom