• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Class D amp and SMSP coil whine?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was not as liberal as @CleanSound , but I did smother the area where I thought the sounds was coming from. My method was to remove the plate, plug it in and turn it on and then listen with a rolled up paper cone. The noise seems to be emanating from the coil that was not covered with the white silicone from SVS. I did then plug it back in to listen with my fancy paper cone, and the noise was there still, but seemed to be a lot quieter. I will give the 388 24 hours to cure, and then reassemble the sub and see what the result is.
The silicone takes 24 hours to cure, sometimes longer.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
This thread taken only slightly out of context would look perfectly normal in many an audiophile site's tweakers subforum.
I am just sayin'.
:cool:;)

If I see any references to blacker blacks or of anyone's spouse or partner hearing the difference from the kitchen, I am reporting the thread to the moderators!

:D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread taken only slightly out of context would look perfectly normal in many an audiophile site's tweakers subforum.
I am just sayin'.
:cool:;)

If I see any references to blacker blacks or of anyone's spouse or partner hearing the difference from the kitchen, I am reporting the thread to the moderators!

:D
Hmmm, transparent silicone. Maybe clearer clears? Still, there is this:

Strength will start to develop immediately and continue increasing for 7 days after application. ASI recommends testing strength and adhesion on the 7th day.

So, it breaks in!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ha ha! How did yours turn out in the end? Did your extremely talented, pro application of 388 do the trick? Or are you waiting the 7 days?
Well, I did get new plates from SVS and then I added additional silicone for reinforcement to prevent future coil whine.

It's silent now, but is it because they are new plates or is it because of the additional silicone?

I put some silicone on the old plates to see if the silicone would have solved the issue.

Last edited:
OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This 388 electronics silicone is pretty effective. I have a fanless mini PC which also has coil whine, put a glob is it on the board and dead silence.

I am waiting for parts to build a Seacom fanless PC as my new media server. Going to preemptively drown it in 388 to make sure it's dead silent as well.

Trangbar

Well, after 48 hours or so of curing, the whine has diminished a bit, but I can still hear it easily when no music it playing. I may goop it up some more, but I am doubting I can eliminate completely.

Reactions: MCH
OP
CleanSound

CleanSound

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, after 48 hours or so of curing, the whine has diminished a bit, but I can still hear it easily when no music it playing. I may goop it up some more, but I am doubting I can eliminate completely.
I wouldn't worry about overheating, just seal the transformer that is causing the whine with the silicone and see what happens.

And BTW, transformers are air tight sealed in tube amps, hence I say I wouldn't worry about it overheating with transformers.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

I wouldn't worry about overheating, just seal the transformer that is causing the whine with the silicone and see what happens.

And BTW, transformers are air tight sealed in tube amps, hence I say I wouldn't worry about it overheating with transformers.
They are what? :oops::p

Top Bottom