• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). There are daily reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can't we all just get along?

beagleman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I just watched Danny's Klipsch (MOE) video, and sadly, while he STARTS off with some great points about the Crossover Versus EQ changes, he slowly drifts off into silly crap, and a huge sales pitch, that does NOTHING to actually try to get along NOR address the differences truly.

He mentions a few things he agrees with about our measurements, "here",and then gets this smirk and starts yet again, bashing us here, but too afraid to mention this site by name. It comes off, as a tad infantile, and not genuine.

I get the feeling he thinks cause he mentions a few true things, that EVERYTHING he says afterwards, must be totally factual and apply to all things he deems important.

I realize now, he is just a veiled sales pitch guy, that knows some stuff for sure, but then uses his knowledge in silly ways to try to sell tube connectors.

He can not seem to separate petty differences, true real world knowledge, from snake oil.

You can not combine all three, and expect to be taken seriously.
But I think that may be his Forte. A bit of truth mixed with a dash of nonsense to attract disagreement and push up his viewership over a contrived "disagreement"

Last edited:

mj30250

I stumbled upon a video of his a while back without knowing who he or his business was. I barely lasted to the sales pitch segment as I had already been thoroughly turned off within the first couple of minutes. He made some thinly-veiled implications regarding what he considered to be an over-priced speaker (an absolute hoot after I learned of his "premium" speaker cables), at least one of which I knew to be 100% false. However, his implications were skillfully worded so as to leave himself an escape hatch were he to be called out on them, but he infused them with just enough confidence and firmness to ensure that the vast majority of his audience wouldn't bother to take 20 seconds to fact-check him. It was quite reminiscent of a very similar tactic frequently employed by a certain, umm, popular politician over recent years. Life's too short to pay that sort of posturing any mind.

But hey, if his fans find happiness in being misled and taken for what basically amounts to legal robbery (even his competently designed stuff is often very expensive relative to similar options), who am I to argue?

Last edited:

Ageve

Childish and cowardly by Danny. If you are a man, you say what you think of another man. Straight and clear, you address the person you are talking to, you do not wrap it in silly waffle with nicknames.

I think the reason is quite obvious.

Danny doesn't want potential customers to read anything on this site.

Last edited:

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Except, sighted listening won't always increase preference rating vs blind

Here's a thought experiment (which AFAIK has never been done):

-Perform sighted and blind ratings tests of a panel of speakers.
-Then reveal the results to the subjects
-Then perform the sighted test again

Would the rating change to conform more to the blind results?
Yes it has basically been done. Well, not all of it. People who fail blind listening tests will about 99.9% of the time bail on a test as soon as they fail the blind test portion. They also will not do a blind test again. It is the sad state of affairs in audio. So much has been done, but since the marketing keeps churning out massive myths and outright lies, it is all the average person knows. Being on this site does open the door to learning what has been done before. Many older guys who "had been there and done that" though are dying out. All the information dies with them. It gets snowed under with the mountain of marketing.

Old Listener

Would you look at that. Danny apologizes to Amir for the previous video he made. Danny will probably also remove his previous video from the web.

Unexpected but well said and done by you Danny.:)

All through this video, Danny paints himself as being right and pointing out errors in "Moe's" posts. He does not have the guts to admit any errors on his part.

He describes his attacks on"moe" as being in fun. It is quite clear that his responses to "moe" are driven by anger and a desire to damage and discredit "moe".

I think that it is very naive to accept this as a sincere apology.

DanielT

Major Contributor
I see your assessment as being somewhat optimistic. Jim
All through this video, Danny paints himself as being right and pointing out errors in "Moe's" posts. He does not have the guts to admit any errors on his part.

He describes his attacks on"moe" as being in fun. It is quite clear that his responses to "moe" are driven by anger and a desire to damage and discredit "moe".

We will see what happens in the future. In any case, it's an attempt on Danny's part. Honest or not, well maybe, ..or not.

That Danny would admit any mistakes, other than he seems to think he went too far with the nickname "joke", I do not think will happen.

pablolie

Forum Donor
ASR isn't perfect, but the HiFi world is so disgracefully distorted by utterly nonsensical prose and bizarre engineering choices that half those crazies deserve to revealed as butt-naked emperors... with bodies that aren't great. ;-) Everyone that appeals to "soul" and "musicality" when it comes to electronics clearly has hazy notions of recording tech and music reproduction fundamentals. Every time I hear the artificial schmaltz some equipment tries to go for, I know why they try and how, but I also know that it'll only work with some music... and therefore limit me to appreciate other stuff.

Mind you, I also don't fancy myself to be able to distinguish a SINAD from 120 to one that is 100, nor to hear 1% differences in linearity as some people here claim :) ... But unless there is a proven equipment malfunction (which would make me question manufacturing standards), I want to see certain values in equipment measurements clicked. My long "audiophile" journey has taught me that I like "true to source", I don't want the end chain designer to flatter it, and measurement fundamentals are key to it.

Once that is the case, I'll listen some. To declare the human ear infallible is ludicrous, I don't trust any reviewer out there to have magical ears that can overrule my own. "Who are you going to trust, your own ears and judgement or MY seat of the pants judgement?" is not a powerful line. Like someone else stated, it is impossible to convince those whose job relies on holding flawed opinions though. :)

I enjoy this site, it is the most direct line to get true audio equipment info - even though I don't agree with the recommendation column and the decision process that went into it every time, but hey. Of course Amir has biases when it comes to recommendations, he likes powerful amps and full-range speakers etc. But his measurement methodology and evaluation thereof -before he gets to the brief listening and conclusion paragraphs- is what tells the story and makes ASR superior.

Let the charlatanry in audiophilia go on for those who care.

DMill

Forum Donor
It seems to me Amir did a review of a Klipsch upgrade and it was confirmed that Danny could better that train wreck of a speaker through a better crossover and fixing some of that speakers resonances. I really thought Amir did a great job with that review as it was given without bias and was just straight up a class act. I’d like to give anyone, including Danny, the benefit of the doubt regarding his sincerity. Debates over subjective vs objective have existed for thousands of years on many topics. The problem with Danny’s Flat Earthers thing to me was that subjectivists were saying the earth is flat, not scientists who understood that it wasn’t. So like a lawyer he’s tried to flip the narrative. I suppose only time will tell if there is a bad review on his tweaks will show a different Danny. But for now… taken at its word… nice job Danny.

Somafunk

In Danny’s previous (now deleted) video he compared the measurement crowd (us lot) to flat earthers, this is rather telling as it was the Hellenistic scholars/mathematicians back in the 3rd century BC who proved the earth was round using objective scientific method, Danny’s rather misguided analogy has unfortunately turned on him and he has somewhat outed himself as a subjective opinion led flat earther who shows disdain for irrefutable objective measuring protocol.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Would you look at that. Danny apologizes to Amir for the previous video he made. Danny will probably also remove his previous video from the web.

Unexpected but well said and done by you Danny.:)

While I appreciate the apology, I don't think he should remove his previous video. I like to address his point about EQ of speakers. In general, I am so used to being called names that it doesn't bother me. Another reviewer called me a narcist just a week ago. It is sad for the industry that people no longer think professionalism is important. This would be the reason to refrain from name calling, not because it hurts my feeling. I am used to it but it is jarring to readers/viewers.

The video sadly starts by claiming we don't listen to music. I don't know how that brings anyone here closer to his point of view. I perform more listening tests of audio products than rest of reviewers combined. But seemingly that doesn't count if the outcome is not to the liking of the manufacturer.

jtwrace

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Jim Taylor

Major Contributor

There's a saying that goes, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks." Maybe that's true in this case, and maybe it's not.

I don't think this is the important video; I think the next two or three will show whether there's been a sea change ..... or not. Remember .... he said the video that was taken down was a "teaching moment". Jim

Last edited:
Top Bottom