• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can't we all just get along?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought his 'They don't listen to music' comment referred to not using music to evaluate, rather than not listening to music at all.

But that ignores blind testing, strongly recommended here, which is evaluating by listening to music but without any bias or 'tells'.

He needs to start doing some blind testing, then he would know to get rid of those idiotic cable lifters visible in the background.

if he did some blind testing then he'd end up with better products - good for his customers, good for his business, good for the industry.

I do love his accent though.

One other thing, he refers to Amir's 'followers.' Not sure any of us here identify as such. Amir's viewpoint just happens to coincide with my own.

Some followers, yesterday:

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I thought his 'They don't listen to music' comment referred to not using music to evaluate, rather than not listening to music at all.
That is completely useless. Amir does not test speakers blasting Napalm Death, and that does not detract from the validity of his conclusions.

"Wide variety of music" as Darko would say... My ass! Those dudes never listen to Blasphemy!

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
You could say that Danny has an ability to confuse one with the other plus be vague with certain statements.

We who are active at ASR, including Amir, do not listening to music? Danny has missed this part of the forum, which is VERY popular:

Screenshot_2022-07-07_103903.jpg

Edit:
Then there are probably here as on the "subjective" side those who like HiFi who fall into the stereotypical image of an audiophile: Have only a few (only vinyl records?) which he listens to over and over again. Never listen to any new music and so on.

Alternatively doing vintage, DIY and looks like..well as expected;)
(I'm old fart and no photo model either).:)
919invest.promo_.jpg

That picture can be found in this thread, by the way mhardy6647 comment was funny, see attached picture.:)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-07_105236.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-07_105236.jpg
    451.5 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Would you look at that. Danny apologizes to Amir for the previous video he made. Danny will probably also remove his previous video from the web.

Unexpected but well said and done by you Danny.:)

How pretentious. Logical fallacies galore. Having the mic prominently showing the "DEITY" brand name is probably no coincidence. Still trying to paint himself as "the good guru" that just wants to help us understand each other better and the world at large. If he really wants to "show" how his many beliefs – check background in the video – are the same as actual truth then he has to stick to scientific principles. Or did I miss something the last few days and we did find a better way to learn about objective reality other than science? Sure you could argue there is no objective reality but that leaves us with what?

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
It's hard to say but it's quite possible this was planned from the start... post a vitriolic video, take it down and then post a sob story "apology" video where we explore the topic of society becoming a utopia. Maybe I'm too cynical... yes "we" can all get along, if some stop spreading old age FUD intertwined with facts.

JSmith

77SunsetStrip

OK, Y'all don't like Danny. May or may not be a sincere change and offer to get along. Take Danny out of the equation. Who would be the next target? Plenty of room for improved respectful discussion from the objective camp. A bit less arrogance would be a good start!

tomtoo

Major Contributor
If he can proof he can stand a abx between the tubeconnecters and any other good connection. I will change my worldview. But that proof is on him. Thats very easy extraordinary claims, need extraordinary proof. Hehe or at least a ordinary abx. So its on him. As long he not proofs this, he is a snake oil seller to me.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I have my doubts and second judgements to deal with regarding Danny although I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. If he blows it he blows it and I am a fool but only once. :D

I'll believe there is a 'New and Improved' Danny when he agrees to some controlled testing to prove his points. He wants us all to move forward together right? How about a good faith effort to demonstrate what is so obvious?

I'll start holding my breath.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
My experience is that as soon as people have the ability, knowledge and gear to do proper, scientific correct and statistical relevant testing enlightment comes quickly.

Its all about accepting that the hearing process is rather limited instead of believing that science/knowledge is the limiting factor.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
How pretentious. Logical fallacies galore. Having the mic prominently showing the "DEITY" brand name is probably no coincidence. Still trying to paint himself as "the good guru" that just wants to help us understand each other better and the world at large. If he really wants to "show" how his many beliefs – check background in the video – are the same as actual truth then he has to stick to scientific principles. Or did I miss something the last few days and we did find a better way to learn about objective reality other than science? Sure you could argue there is no objective reality but that leaves us with what?
Solipsism is philosophy for lazy people.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
OK, Y'all don't like Danny. May or may not be a sincere change and offer to get along. Take Danny out of the equation. Who would be the next target? Plenty of room for improved respectful discussion from the objective camp. A bit less arrogance would be a good start!
We are not selling anything, Danny is.

markus

Why "Take Danny out of the equation"? This thread exists because HE made a video full of personal attacks and false information. Of course he has taken down that video by now. Honi soit qui mal y pense...

P.S. There is no "objective camp", at least not in my mind. It's people like Danny that seek such a divide.

Last edited:

mj30250

Good on Danny for the public apology. Whether fully sincere (or carefully calculated) or not, it's the better move overall.

However, the entire "they don't actually listen to the speakers" component to his statements is flatly disingenuous for a few reasons:

Clearly, Amir listens to the speakers he measures and then shares his opinions after doing so (mono or not, it's still listening).

As far as the community overall, nothing that I've seen over the years has demonstrated that ASR is any sort of monolithic cult. People here debate and disagree all of the time, sometimes strongly, mostly respectfully (and on occasion, not so much). I'm certainly no acolyte, and have taken issue with some of Amir's comments in certain cases (usually when he's marking up charts with his own notes / observations). Whether that's because he actually has an agenda or if it's simply because he's just as subject to biases and inconsistencies as the rest of us is open to debate. But in any case, his dedication to generating and sharing the data is always appreciated.

Based on polling of members, those who consider measurements to be "everything" are in a distinct minority. I feel fairly secure in saying that most of the active membership greatly appreciates the objectivity that measurements and related data provide, but would largely agree that there are still some obvious gaps in our understanding of how to translate it all to what we hear, particularly in our own rooms.

The standards that the data are measured against, such as CEA2034, were fully born out of controlled subjective listening tests. No one came pounding into these tests with spinoramas in-hand, attempting to bend the audiences' ears to conform to what the charts showed them (cue the trained listener vs untrained debate). Without all of the data carefully gleaned from people actually listening to speakers, and listening with most of our usual human biases removed from the equation, there'd be no spinoramas to argue about to begin with.

I enjoy listening to music. I enjoy it even more when it sounds as good as it possibly can. Data helps me cut through the endless sea of biases, expectations, confusion, and agendas of others. Measurements are also quite helpful in allowing me to properly position speakers, EQ them, and address issues in my room. So no, if I refuse to buy your $300 speaker cable because you can't objectively show me legitimate data which supports its audible benefit, that has nothing to do with me preferring to get lost in distortion charts for hours instead of listening to music, and everything to do with me preferring to invest my money into actually achieving better sound.

Last edited:

beagleman

Major Contributor
Now he is "Making amends", but still thinks he is schooling us and like minded people.

To him, he says "Everything matters" in audio, but provided zero proof......
I still see a lot of "Talking down" to people, in his assumption that he simply knows better and is trying to help....wow
I am not sure what his issues are.

Last edited:

diddley

Forum Donor
Well it's an excuse, thats at least something.
And now stuf it.( the speaker i mean).

Top Bottom