• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye NC252MP Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 171 58.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 87 29.9%

• Total voters

Geert

Major Contributor
Likely power supply.

From the images on Buckeye's website this seems to be a single OEM board implementation, there's no separate power supply board. It should be exactly the same board as in the Audiophonics-mpa-s250nc-amp-review which doesn't show the 20Hz linearity issue (although it also has reduced power at 20Hz). However, comparing the pictures there's one small difference I notice, the orientation of the coil next to the 2 large caps. Did Hypex make different versions of this board, one having worse performance?

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
From the images on Buckeye's website this seems to be a single OEM board implementation, there's no separate power supply board. It should be exactly the same board as in the Audiophonics-mpa-s250nc-amp-review which doesn't show the 20Hz linearity issue. However, comparing the pictures there's one small difference I notice, the orientation of the coil next to the 2 large caps. Did Hypex make different versions of this board, one having worse performance?
They also state 180 watt per channel @2 Ohm which is not the case here as the amp got into protection trying to get that low.

Edit: I know nothing about this modules and whether they have have universal mains but if not is there a chance it's wrongly configured for 240V?

pickyAudiophile

Nice to see these certification tags from all around the globe on rear ;). ...MP series thankfully will accept anything from 110V to 240V, so they might have said to themselves: why labelling then? However, what about that burn-through fuse then, shouldn't that one be labelled with swapping instructions at least?

Geert

Major Contributor
From the images on Buckeye's website this seems to be a single OEM board implementation, there's no separate power supply board. It should be exactly the same board as in the Audiophonics-mpa-s250nc-amp-review which doesn't show the 20Hz linearity issue (although it also has reduced power at 20Hz). However, comparing the pictures there's one small difference I notice, the orientation of the coil next to the 2 large caps. Did Hypex make different versions of this board, one having worse performance?

To answer my own question; I found datasheets of 2 versions of the board, showing the differences in the power supply section:
One difference in the specs; the older board has a lower output impedance. The measurements in the datasheets also show far better linearity for the older board (no hump in the higher frequencies):

THD.png

Last edited:

delta76

Major Contributor
Realized that Amir never measured a NC502MP-based stereo amp (he did review a 6 channels I think), it should be at the sweet point between power, SINAD and price

daniboun

Major Contributor
From the images on Buckeye's website this seems to be a single OEM board implementation, there's no separate power supply board. It should be exactly the same board as in the Audiophonics-mpa-s250nc-amp-review which doesn't show the 20Hz linearity issue. However, comparing the pictures there's one small difference I notice, the orientation of the coil next to the 2 large caps. Did Hypex make different versions of this board, one having worse performance?

Amigos,

The NC252MP is the same on all NC252 amps...only the design and the options differ from one manufacturer to another...
Buckeye just took a low-cost enclosuse BUT What may differ, however, are the module revisions.

1695808126420.png

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor

daniboun

Major Contributor
Let's compare with the IOM NCore Pro, Hypex NC252MP from September 2019. = old revision (July 2019 / NC252MP_02)

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Amigos,

The NC252MP is the same on all NC252 amps...only the design and the options differ from one manufacturer to another...
Buckeye just took a low-cost enclosuse BUT What may differ, however, are the module revisions.

View attachment 315102
Manufacturers have the option to make customs versions as it seems.
Here's the @pma 's built for example:

daniboun

Major Contributor
That's what I meant with ´versions´.

Yepppp indeed ) look above at the measurements of the OM NCore Pro, Hypex NC252MP with older revision.

Willem

Major Contributor
Yes the case is cheap looking. However, since the amp has both auto on/off and a trigger, you can safely and conveniently keep it out of sight in a cupboard or whatever. Esthetically, that would be my ideal power amplifier.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To answer my own question; I found datasheets of 2 versions of the board, showing the differences in the power supply section:
One difference in the specs; the older board has a lower output impedance. The measurements in the datasheets also show far better linearity for the older board (no hump in the higher frequencies):

View attachment 315095
They tweaked the module for lower noise floor (the descending slope part), and the new hump is revealed (also tiny little higher). IMO a good trade off choice was made.

Sokel

Master Contributor
They tweaked the module for lower noise floor (the descending slope part), and the new hump is revealed (also tiny little higher). IMO a good trade off choice was made.
Neither of these are the problem here.
The main problem is it doesn't meet its specs at 2 Ohm as it failed to pass Amir's tests.
Combined with the "anomaly" at 20Hz seems that there something out of order there.

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I own this amp (in a different case) and am very pleased. I have it set on "Auto" and it turns on/off by signal sensing and I never heard an audible speaker noise with either. My wish list for the future model is a power button in the front (when I want to use my headphone amp and want to turn off the main speakers).

Top Bottom