• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps: Purifi Mono, 2ch, and 3ch Official Thread

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Thanks. Here is a photo of the internals of the amp I purchased. Can anyone tell if the upgrade has been performed?
Sorry I missed that, didn't get a notification.

Those look like the original speaker binding post connectors, not the new ones

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of you will remind me that I promised to post more measurements for Buckeye’s NCx500, but Dylan also had me busy with a couple of other tasks. Both involve MicroAudio (MA) supplies, but only one was already shipping. So, he sent me a new Purifi 7040 monoblock to test. One major test was to measure the 2 ohm performance of the Purifi 7040 using the MA supply. Fortunately, my new dummy load can be configured for 2 ohm testing and with some air cooling, worked out well. As a bonus, knew there would be interest in how it compared being powered by the MA versus the Hypex A400.

So, here it is...

1689783708920.png

As I have mentioned elsewhere, my high power dummy load is a bit noisy, so these plots are only THD vs Power. The blue trace is the 7040 with the MA supply and the dark red one is the Hypex. At clipping, can see the amp yields about another 230 watts powered by the MA.

In a related topic, another forum question has been how the Purifi 7040 compares to the Hypex NCx500. The NCx500 here is a Buckeye 2 channel amp with the Hypex SMPS1200A700 supply. Am only driving one channel on the NCx500 but otherwise the conditions are identical (1kHz at 2 ohms). Here is that look...

1689846023436.png

Using a different setup, I did verify that both amps were very low noise. While admittedly this is one simple comparison, my takeaway here is these amps perform similarly and would leave my decision to other criteria (like quality, price and features).:)

Last edited:

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some of you will remind me that I promised to post more measurements for Buckeye’s NCx500, but Dylan also had me busy with a couple of other tasks. Both involve MicroAudio (MA) supplies, but only one was already shipping. So, he sent me a new Purifi 7040 monoblock to test. One major test was to compare the 2 ohm performance of the Purifi 7040 using the MA supply. Fortunately, my new dummy load can be configured for 2 ohm testing and with some air cooling, worked out well. As a bonus, knew there would be interest in how it compared to being powered by the MA versus the Hypex A400.

So, here it is...

View attachment 300422

As I have mentioned elsewhere, my high power dummy load is a bit noisy, so these plots are only THD vs Power. The blue trace is the 7040 with the MA supply and the dark red one is the Hypex. At clipping, can see the amp yields about another 230 watts powered by the MA.

In a related topic, another forum question has been how the Purifi 7040 compares to the Hypex NCx500. The NCx500 here is a Buckeye 2 channel amp with the Hypex SMPS1200A700 supply. Am only drive one channel on the NCx500 but otherwise the conditions are identical (1kHz at 2 ohms). Here is that look...

View attachment 300423

Using a different setup, I did verify that both amps were very low noise. While admittedly this is one simple comparison, my takeaway here is these amps perform similarly and would leave my decision to other criteria (like quality, price and features).:)

Wow, very cool! So with the Purifi+MA or the Hypex NCx500, amps are now a solved problem for any speaker.

Some of you will remind me that I promised to post more measurements for Buckeye’s NCx500, but Dylan also had me busy with a couple of other tasks. Both involve MicroAudio (MA) supplies, but only one was already shipping. So, he sent me a new Purifi 7040 monoblock to test. One major test was to compare the 2 ohm performance of the Purifi 7040 using the MA supply. Fortunately, my new dummy load can be configured for 2 ohm testing and with some air cooling, worked out well. As a bonus, knew there would be interest in how it compared to being powered by the MA versus the Hypex A400.

So, here it is...

View attachment 300422

In a related topic, another forum question has been how the Purifi 7040 compares to the Hypex NCx500. The NCx500 here is a Buckeye 2 channel amp with the Hypex SMPS1200A700 supply. Am only drive one channel on the NCx500 but otherwise the conditions are identical (1kHz at 2 ohms). Here is that look...

View attachment 300423

Wait, how is the NCx500 with its 28A limit beating/equivalent to the 7040’s 40A limit in regards to power at 2 ohm? A 2 ohm load should be limited by current, right?

Ah, the chart’s scale confused me a bit there. It’s still surprising that the NCx is as close as it is in the more usable low distortion areas.

Sokel

Master Contributor

So, here it is...

View attachment 300422

View attachment 300423

So we got the answer we were seeking some weeks ago,PS can be (at least here) the limiting factor,230 watts is no joke.

AirCooled32

Just a small update.

The 3Ch Purif rocks! I didn't think ~200 ish watts would be enough at 8oms to power these 802s. But to our surprise, it's plenty of power! I felt that the bass was incredible, and when I got up to turn the subwoofer off, to my surprise it was already off!!

Looking forward to what Buckeye brings in the future.;

Thanks!

TjI5eAQh.jpg

Porter

I've been running the Purifi 3-channel for several weeks now, just using two channels currently. So far, I think it is excellent. It's not just the power that's impressive, it's the fine detail that is audible at lower volumes that really strikes me compared to my prior amp (which was also class D - NAD M10). Maybe it's the lower noise floor? That shouldn't be particularly audible though, so I don't know, but I do notice being more engaged with the material at low volume. But that could be the speakers as well, there's a good synergy with this amp and the Philharmonic BMR Monitors. I'm using medium gain so having the preamp up higher may be part of the puzzle.

I bought the SpeakOn version which I think is great, really cleans up the wiring at the back of the amp and shortens the total depth compared to banana plugs inserted into binding posts. For my unused third channel in the middle, I bought the official Neutrik dust cap plugs for the XLR and SpeakOn ports, which are a great little tweaky way to finish the thing when you have a channel that's not used. Super cheap anyway, so why not.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
I bought the official Neutrik dust cap plugs for the XLR and SpeakOn ports, which are a great little tweaky way to finish the thing when you have a channel that's not used. Super cheap anyway, so why not.
Those are what I use as well for builds (apologies if I did not know to include them for your order!)

And glad you are loving the amp!

Porter

Those are what I use as well for builds (apologies if I did not know to include them for your order!)

And glad you are loving the amp!
No worries, I didn't even know they were a thing until I saw them when browsing the Neutrik catalog.

Great amp, thanks again for your good work and excellent product.

johnybear

I just ordered 2 7040 version 2 monoblocks from Dylan to pair with a Denafrips Hestia pre amp which are unity gain. I will report on this pairing once they arrive.
Just an update on the 7040 monoblocks.The pairing to the Denafrips Hestia pre amp seems to work well. Vocals are quite nice. I had initially set the gain to medium but tried the low gain setting and increased the volume which made an improvement.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Some updates on case options:

Due to a change in the policy (or rather, enforcing of the policy) from my case manufacturer, it is no longer economically feasible to offer custom finishes or speakON upgrades at this time. I will be looking at alternatives and/or how to at least bring back certain finishes or options in the future, but for the time being I cannot offer custom finishes or speakONs for regular cases.

speakONs are still available as an add-on to the Rackmount case upgrade, however. Which was the most popular choice for using speakONs anyways over the last two years.

Thanks everyone!

Ukraineguy

Any chance of getting a couple of Left and Right LFE outputs on a 2 channel setup anytime soon?

RickyC34

Some updates on case options:

I will be looking at alternatives and/or how to at least bring back certain finishes or options in the future, but for the time being I cannot offer custom finishes or speakONs for regular cases.
Think Dbrands for amps! They make wraps for xbox's, controllers, phones, etc. Could something like this work? Not sure how this would respond to any kind of heat though. Car wraps are heat-resistant, so maybe something between the two could perform better.

Top Bottom