• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye Amps case changes

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Happy Holidays all!

As the end of the year approaches and work continues on a few new amp models/revisions, along with the 2ch Integrated amplifier coming out as well, it's that time where I prod the community for some suggestions/input.

The big one that has always been brought up: new cases.
I have been exploring new cases that would be much like the one we plan on using for the Integrated Amp (which is similar in construction and looks to what other competitors use for their amps). However, after a lot of thought, I believe the best course of action at this time is to continue using the case manufacturer I currently contract with (Protocase) and tweak the existing designs to dress them up better.

There are a few reasons for this:
1) Protocase is a North American company (located in Canada) and all manufacturing takes place at their headquarters....I have always liked trying to keep as much of our amps "homegrown" as possible (aside from the obvious internals that are manufactured elsewhere)
2) Protocase turn around time is very quick: manufacturing is 10-14 days and shipping is overnight (free of charge)...if I changed to a different case manufacturer much like others use, it would carry lead times of 4-6wks AND shipping would be at least another 4wks as they would have to go by sea freight.
3) Protocase minimum order quantity is very low, which allows me to make changes or fulfill certain custom requests without surcharges...this is not possible if I switch, as minimum order quantity would be 50-100.
4) While the utilitarian look rubs some the wrong way, the truth is the case construction is very durable and strong...the U bent model we use (where the Front/Back/Bottom are one piece of bent Aluminum) has no "give" to it so when we attach our input boards to both the bottom of the case AND the back panel, there is no risk of stress to the XLR connectors on the board, among other benefits. The same goes for the Cover (Sides/Top are one piece of bent Aluminum), which allows stacking of multiple units (with somethin like an AC Infinity Aircom between each) with no concern of sag/bending of the top panel.

With all that said, the plan at least for 2024 is to employ some modifications to our existing Protocase case design to make them more appealing.
Perhaps THE BIGGEST change coming in 2024 are brand new binding posts. They are much higher quality in terms of construction and also larger and easier to twist lock down on wire.
Another big changes is switching to recessed screws that hold the Cover to the Base (so no protruding screw heads).
We are also adding more silk screening to the rear panel to better label all connections and also label '+' and '-' as the new binding posts will be Red/White colored.

A few other things that can be changed:
1) Stock powder coat...we currently use a Flat Black (no gloss) finish. However, one of the finishes I am looking to change to (no extra charge) is a Low Gloss Black Sandtex. This finish is virtually fingerprint smudge proof and even more durable than the Flat Black. It has a slightly rough texture to it, much like the side of the Anthem AVM 70/90 series processors.
2) Change the design of the ventilation cutouts...our prototype Integrated amp has diagonal cutouts to give it a more aggressive look. We can do something like this on our amps as well to match.
3) Case sizes...I am already making changes in anticipation of some exciting amp model revisions and new offerings (such as a new Purifi model along with possible stock SMPS changes for other models) so modifying the size of cases is on the table.

I know there are always going to be the few who absolutely will not buy from us unless we adopt some very fancy/nice case. That is understandable. And perhaps when the day comes that Buckeye Amps grows into it's own business location that has a lot more inventory space and buying power, this will come to fruition (or at least be offered as an upgrade).

Feel free to share thoughts/opinions/input.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Feel free to share thoughts/opinions/input.
Another big changes is switching to recessed screws that hold the Cover to the Base (so no protruding screw heads).
This sort of machining tends to require more labor and time and it still results in errors due to the difficult repeatability of the screw to chassis taper requirements. What guarantees do you have regarding fit/alignment and finish from the case supplier.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Dylan, you always seem to push to deliver the best option for the greatest number of people. This includes yourself! If you are set up to accommodate most requests which you seem to be mindful of, I think you are doing your job properly!
You can't please all the people all the time.

Perhaps having an arrangement where you can get 1-off chassis from an overseas supplier for the most persnickety... ? But even this would carry significant cost to the prospective purchaser. Maybe they won't care. At least this way you can offer something special for those that want it.

I say: Keep doing what you are doing!

Cheers!

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
This sort of machining tends to require more labor and time and it still results in errors due to the difficult repeatability of the screw to chassis taper requirements. What guarantees do you have regarding fit/alignment and finish from the case supplier.
They guarantee fitment. I have done a few one off custom finishes that also used recessed screws and never had an issue.

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You might consider adding wood panels to the front or sides. You could even offer different species, etc. That would dress the case up. Milled aluminum panels on the front could be another option.

OP
Buckeye Amps

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
speakOns on non-rackmount cases?
You converted me and now I won't go back!
I am exploring the best way to offer speakONs again without costing too much extra.

The issue right now is that for speakONs it requires me to have a second entire case made for each amp model (since the back panel is not replaceable). And since speakON orders accounted for maybe one out of every fifty orders, it was more hassle to offer (financially).

But again, exploring alternatives to this and bringing back custom case colors with Protocase.

Wolverine-75

Purchased 2 amps a few weeks ago and can't wait to try them out!! Excited to see what the future holds for new products and case designs.

Beave

Major Contributor
Somebody who calls himself "Wolverine-75" buys an amp from a company named "Buckeye?"

What's next? Dogs and cats living together? Michigan and Ohio State hanging out at audio shows? ;)

Wolverine-75

Somebody who calls himself "Wolverine-75" buys an amp from a company named "Buckeye?"

What's next? Dogs and cats living together? Michigan and Ohio State hanging out at audio shows? ;)
Born and raised in Ohio but also a U of M fan!! Been working in the tool room / fabrication world for more than 30 years. When a see a company using North American manufacturers and selling a quality product I will always try to support them. I don't care who you root for on Saturday! Go Blue!

ViperDom

Great to see the wheels turning on this.
The one thing that i've been holding out for is a smaller case. Mainly in Depth.
I think an amp that is able to fit on a 12" shelf would be ideal for a lot of people. Its 2024. CRT's and large entertainment centers are gone. Many people prefer a cleaner lees intrusive hi-fi setup with wall mounted TV. Ditch the large piece of furniture the previous TV was siting on taking up floor space. Replace it with a small piece that only holds what you need.

Two ideas i came up with:

1. For users wanting to place the amp sideways, design & offer a small 1-2" shroud that snaps on the back end to conceal the terminal/connections.

2. Add threaded holes on the side so one could relocate the feet to the side allowing it to stand on the side only eating up 3.5" of space.(sure pull it back a couple inches for ventilation).

I run in to an issue any time im tinkering with my listening room setup where a typical amp/receiver does not have enough room on its 18" shelf to be pulled out. I'd much rather be able to set my future amp up on the 12" shelf below it.

Please let me know your thoughts.

1000010759.jpg

1000010760.jpg

puckmasterc

THE BIGGEST change coming in 2024 are brand new binding posts. They are much higher quality in terms of construction and also larger and easier to twist lock down on wire.
Just curious as to which binding posts you are using now?

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
I'm just waiting for a 75% off sale. Oh wait, wrong thread. Sorry!:D

Your stuff is very good and priced right, what more can anyone ask for? But then I am NOT an artistic person. So I look at function first and the looks (case) barely at all. I am not wife approved....

Last edited:

quattro98

Forum Donor
They've been rolling out for most new orders. I've just been swamped to take official pictures to update the website.
Thanks. The website will require higher quality pictures. Any quick cell phone shots you can share? Also any ideas on if/when the Purifi 1ET400 x3 might move to a Micro Audio PS?

Top Bottom