• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buckeye 3 Channel Purifi Amplifier Review (2nd)

Rate this Multichannel Amplifier

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 24 8.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 245 88.4%

• Total voters

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm should it say: No load impedance dependency?

index.php

Last edited:

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
If anyone would ever claimed that such a thing as the material of the clamp connectors with the binding posts matters without evidence the least that would happened to him would be tar and feathers here.
But experience on the one hand (@pma ) and state of the art instrumentation and skilled operator on the other (@amirm ) found such a case along with the solution.
Nothing will surprise me from now on.

Thanks Amir!
The only reason the distortion was discovered was through Amir’s testing, not audibly (i.e. with evidence). So if a claim is made *without evidence*, it should be treated with caution.

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@amirm is there value in grouping amplifiers by gain to make them more of an apples to apples comparison? In this case Buckeye can perform superbly in 15db and 26db gain modes, but some of the top measuring amps have 11db gain while others that perform much worse have 26db or more gain. It seems like people would need to understand what gain they need from their amp and the implications of higher or lower gain amps when sorting through the data to compare products. I would definitely like to better under the gain structure needed and what it means for my system if a choose an 11db amp vs a 26db amp.

Thanks for all your continuing work to enlighten us all!

pma

Major Contributor
@amirm is there value in grouping amplifiers by gain to make them more of an apples to apples comparison? In this case Buckeye can perform superbly in 15db and 26db gain modes, but some of the top measuring amps have 11db gain while others that perform much worse have 26db or more gain. It seems like people would need to understand what gain they need from their amp and the implications of higher or lower gain amps when sorting through the data to compare products. I would definitely like to better under the gain structure needed and what it means for my system if a choose an 11db amp vs a 26db amp.

It would be the best idea not to show that chart at all, for several reasons, one very important of them you have just mentioned. That chart only leads to oversimplified conclusions of those who have not gained enough knowledge to be able to separate apples from pears.

xaxxon

So, do you mean purifi is better than hypex? Or, is it just bad design from the 8-channel?
Purify is quite a bit more expensive, so I'd just call it "different"

502 amps are $1100 for 4 channels.

Last edited:

dkinric

Yes, play on YouTube then my system deliver it to my ears.
ok, thank you for sharing your thoughts, but what's relevant is what is coming out of the amps. What happens in your particular system and then between your ears and your brain really has nothing to do with anyone else. That's why we focus on measurements, so we can compare apples to apples.

Buckeye Amps

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Simple not even a remotely reliable way to test something like this. Totally meaningless IMO.
This same video and people claiming to hear a difference came up in another review thread two months ago as well

thegeton

Forum Donor
According to this video for that particular loudspeakers and 1st song only, my ears tell my brain to put this rank:
1. IcePower (best)
2. Hypex (lower low)
3. Purifi (mid)

I can't stop laughing...

Trell

Major Contributor
Sorry if my conclusion hurting anyone. I only want to be honest and I don’t listen to the person on the video such as: “icepower is more harsh… bla.. bla..bla…”
No, I can’t be fooled by that.
No hurt feelings at all! We’re just incredulous that you try any ranking of the amplifiers by listening to that YouTube clip.

Top Bottom