• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Big news coming from Sound United in 2023!

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
He's not wrong. In fact after I posted measurements proving the Levels menu tones bypass EQ, Gene mentioned such to Jeff from Audyssey in one of their videos, who concurred.

If he's using an SPL meter he must be using pink noise from a source external to the AVR. It's still not perfect, but it's a lot better.
Learn something new every day. Thank you, that makes sense. Now, I need to figure out how to run external white noise through each speaker individually.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I wonder if Sound United will be able to use the incoming Dirac MIMO software or just DLBC.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
I wonder if Sound United will be able to use the incoming Dirac MIMO software or just DLBC.
Dirac hinted that they were testing the MIMO (SRC) software on the A1H - we aren't going to hear anything official for a while yet!

bo_knows

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Laptop with REW on it.
I know, the problem is the ASIO driver. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. It takes a lot of fiddling and reboots to make it work. For the most part, I just use the default Java driver (for two channels measurements) but I'm not sure if it will support 9.1. It's a hustle.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
This just posted a little earlier at AH; might answer some lingering questions:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This just posted a little earlier at AH; might answer some lingering questions:
Some good info..which is nice to have. No DLBC until 2024. No timeline for Dirac Spatial Correction or guarantee it will come. I am guessing this is a little slower than many were hoping.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

dlaloum

Major Contributor
That will certainly dampen sales.
I doubt it... these AVR's already have multi-sub tuning available via Audyssey...

And full Dirac with MultiSub DLBC, is a US$800 affair .... so unlikely to be a mainstream option!

It will have a marginal impact on the well heeled audiophiles.

For those who must have DLBC & can afford the $$$ - the JBL, Arcam and other existing options will keep them away from D&M - but D&M won't have been on their radar in any case.... this just opens up a new market segment for SU once they get it all together... (circa June/July?)

The traditional D&M market is Audyssey - and that is well catered for. (with the bonus addition of 4 independent sub tuning in this series)

The real competition will come in from the low end, if Onkyo can get their act together and release DLBC capable AVR's/PrePro's at a competitive price in early 2023.... D&M have set the bar in terms of pricing... and by raising their prices, have left Onkyo with more room to raise their price in turn :( .

The game is afoot....

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some good info..which is nice to have. No DLBC until 2024. No timeline for Dirac Spatial Correction or guarantee it will come. I am guessing this is a little slower than many were hoping.

The other interesting limitation (contrary to some speculation) is you'll lose loudness compensation with Dirac.

kryptonite

If the following considerations aren't valuable to me:
- 4 sub outputs (I just have 2 subs)
- Dirac live + DLBC (timelines too long, too expensive, and lack of equivalents of Audyssey Dynamic Eq & Volume, both of which I have use for and value)
- more HDMI 2.1 ports (2 ports are all I need)

What else is on the X3800H would be an upgrade over the X3700H?

Questionable items being:
- DAC quality (new chip)
- how the X3800H measures in general over the X3700H

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Considering DLBC is not coming until 2024, i doubt I'll upgrade from my 4500H.

Spatial correction is so hypothetical at this point that you'd have to be dumb to buy any of the current lineup expecting to get it. There's a good chance they just decide to save it as a feature for a future lineup and don't bother upgrading older models at all.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Dirac hinted that they were testing the MIMO (SRC) software on the A1H - we aren't going to hear anything official for a while yet!
I think I red that by March next year, we may see how Dirac is implemented on Sound United products.

My guess is the current hardware is able to run it but it seems they need some time to make sure it works well. By then, we should know about what version it will run.

JRiggs

I think I red that by March next year, we may see how Dirac is implemented on Sound United products.

My guess is the current hardware is able to run it but it seems they need some time to make sure it works well. By then, we should know about what version it will run.
Did you read the linked article above from audiohaulics?

At this point, we can only confirm that we will support both Dirac Live room correction technology - limited and full bandwidth versions AFTER the firmware update in March 2023. We also plan to support Bass Control upgrade although the integration efforts has not yet started. We expect we should be able to release a new firmware to support Dirac Live Bass Control upgrade sometime in 2024 - TBD.

MIMO is associated with the new Dirac spatial room correction and there is no timeline nor a confirmation that it will ever be compatible with this new line of Marantz/Denon.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor

At this point, we can only confirm that we will support both Dirac Live room correction technology - limited and full bandwidth versions AFTER the firmware update in March 2023. We also plan to support Bass Control upgrade although the integration efforts has not yet started. We expect we should be able to release a new firmware to support Dirac Live Bass Control upgrade sometime in 2024 - TBD.

MIMO is associated with the new Dirac spatial room correction and there is no timeline nor a confirmation that it will ever be compatible with this new line of Marantz/Denon.
I agree. And that’s why I would hold back with upgrading until we actually see it happen. So far it is one of their biggest teasers to get sales going because the new one isn’t that much different to the old one including the uncertainty about the DAC performance.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The other interesting limitation (contrary to some speculation) is you'll lose loudness compensation with Dirac.
Also unfortunate ... it is a shame so few Dirac solutions have any system wide loudness compensation ... I know the Monoprice HTP1 does, but do any other Dirac processors have a good working loudness compensation?

Vacceo

Major Contributor

I could not remember the source but yes, that's the one! Thanks for referencing It!

Vacceo

Major Contributor
I agree. And that’s why I would hold back with upgrading until we actually see it happen. So far it is one of their biggest teasers to get sales going because the new one isn’t that much different to the old one including the uncertainty about the DAC performance.
Your advice follows one of my methods as consumer: buy features that are already covered, disregard the promises of future features.

Top Bottom