• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest NRG-X3 Review (AC Power Cord)

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money

Votes: 324 89.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

DWI

He just did. They claim lower distortion. It wasn't found.
It’s amusing that amir says this site gets rid of shouting matches, but he started the biggest shouting match with PS Audio. If he were to engage and find out, then he might test the right things.

When Mr Gowan makes a post Amir gets his yellow marker out and does a rant. Why not engage with cable designers with an open mind? Something useful might come out of it.

As a non-engineer who came to this site to choose a headphone DAC, it just looks ugly.

CinDyment

The YouTube $99 DAC video I referred to was Darko‘s review of a Schiit Modi and had 1,003,900 views last time looked. That’s about 50 times the views ASR typically gets.

Over 3 years which is as much testimony wrt the DACs popularity as Darko. Recent videos are much less. ASR as a website is where the action is.

CinDyment

What Mr McGowan says is, if you want to understand where cable designers are coming from, speak to them. You could easily through his forum (disclosure - I use blue jeans and belden cables designed by Galen Gareis). You can then measure what they claim. That would be fun.

Galen Gareis is anothet charlatan just better educated. Spews repeated true but meaningless BS about cables that has no impact at audio frequencies or resolution and can't back it up with any testing wrt audibility. It's all BS.

Amir does test the right things mainly that's why people like Paul are angry. You are only upset because you don't like the results.

Last edited:

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The exposure and breadth of ASR is beyond almost any other audio site and certainly anything purely subjective.

It's a process. The old men, so many 60+, with failing ears and declining purchasing power will have less and less influence.

The younger generation is better educated, more immune to BS and more oriented to facts. Far more women with purchasing power too and also more immune to BS.

The share of high end in Audio is not growing. The overall market did, home theatre did. High end, no. It's lost and surviving on BS. Look at Schitt. They have embraced ASR, made their products better and are growing nicely.
Honestly, imo the exact opposite.
The old will get older
The young old

Ears start failing ~35-40. The young tend to abuse them so earlier and earlier.

Better educated? I work with 60 year olds with a better HS education than recent college grads. They have to keep dumbing down college boards and revising the scoring system to not look bad.

Kim Kardashian, enough said.

The older have far more wealth and disposable income.

Yes, the 'young' will have more influence as the old die off, but they will then be old and the young will say the same about them.
Been the same since the dawn of time.

The inflections up are when the scoring methods were changed. I know for a fact recent EE grads are nowhere prepared at graduation as those from 40 years ago. That is not saying they won't get there but they are starting out behind.

623F8620-4004-4205-B98F-74C50429E0FB.png

CinDyment

Honestly, imo the exact opposite.
The old will get older
The young old

Ears start failing ~35-40. The young tend to abuse them so earlier and earlier.

Better educated? I work with 60 year olds with a better HS education than recent college grads. They have to keep dumbing down college boards and revising the scoring system to not look bad.

Kim Kardashian, enough said.

The older have far more wealth and disposable income.

Yes, the 'young' will have more influence as the old die off, but they will then be old and the young will say the same about them.
Been the same since the dawn of time.

The inflections up are when the scoring methods were changed. I know for a fact recent EE grads are nowhere prepared at graduation as those from 40 years ago. That is not saying they won't get there but they are starting out behind.

View attachment 197401

Your graph shows that more people are taking the SAT and that the test may be harder not that people are dumber.

EE was near the pinnacle of intelligence in 70s-early 90s for University. Those days are long past.

As the young get old they don't become uneducated.

The older audiophile these days has no income except investments and real estate and stock market is about to get very unfriendly. Most are retired or near. They literally are a dying breed and not being replenished.

Counter to your graph wrt SAT scores would be that on the decline of religion.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
If he were to engage and find out, then he might test the right things.

As a non-engineer who came to this site to choose a headphone DAC, it just looks ugly.

Then please trust the engineers when they tell you that those "right things" don't exist. Seriously, it's a fairy tale.

Handling BS without kid gloves is not pretty, sure. But why does it deserve that kind of respect?

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When Mr Gowan makes a post Amir gets his yellow marker out and does a rant.
Right, i don't like it either. Amir is an engineer, Paul is a salesman. They are not peers.

Why not engage with cable designers with an open mind? Something useful might come out of it.
He did. He actually got the cable with his own money and measured it on his own time. The claim is that there is lower distortion. He didn't found that to be true.
What else is Amir to do except to publish his findings?

If you don't understand tech stuff, keep out of it, no shame in that.

Ingenieur

Your graph shows that more people are taking the SAT and that the test may be harder not that people are dumber.

EE was near the pinnacle of intelligence in 70s-early 90s for University. Those days are long past.

As the young get old they don't become uneducated.

The older audiophile these days has no income except investments and real estate and stock market is about to get very unfriendly. Most are retired or near. They literally are a dying breed and not being replenished.

Counter to your graph wrt SAT scores would be that on the decline of religion.
It was the same test.
Scores declined
People are not 'dumber', just less educated.

I have no idea of what you mean by 'pinnacle' of intelligence. The Intelligent go into all areas of education. Still do.

I have a few areas of income:
My six figure job
Pension
Side work
Investments
No debt
Wealth is distributed among the older.

They are being replenished...by those younger. Blink your eye and you'll be one of them if lucky. Time stands still for no one.
Got some news for you, you'll be old and dead some day. ;)

Ingenieur

It’s amusing that amir says this site gets rid of shouting matches, but he started the biggest shouting match with PS Audio. If he were to engage and find out, then he might test the right things.

When Mr Gowan makes a post Amir gets his yellow marker out and does a rant. Why not engage with cable designers with an open mind? Something useful might come out of it.

He's not the only one ranting. ;)

There is no need to have an open mind about a power cable. No more than having an open mind about jumping out of a window.
Absurd.

Have an 'open mind' about things not already known.

Ingenieur

The YouTube $99 DAC video I referred to was Darko‘s review of a Schiit Modi and had 1,003,900 views last time looked. That’s about 50 times the views ASR typically gets.

Darko, likes that DAC, so does Amir, so do lots of people. The most informative review I found was this one, never heard of the channel, but similar subscriber and viewer numbers to ASR.

Darko says “It greatly improves your laptop audio and costs $99“. What more do you need to know about such a cheap product?
The water skiing squirrel got 3.1 million views. What the heck is your point.
Morons watch Darko?

Ingenieur

Fewer driver Porsches than VW's...for whatever reason. Neither is wrong, or dumb, or age dependent.

I'd rather drive the Porsche although both can only be driven to the same limits on public roads. In other words, perform the same in the real world use and application.

I am under no illusion that putting super-duper tires on either will make me a Lewis Hamilton level driver. ;)

DWI

The water skiing squirrel got 3.1 million views. What the heck is your point.
Morons watch Darko?

Science is a hard sell, but whatever you’re selling, it must be well produced and enjoyable for people watch it. Darko seems to have nailed it. The numbers say so.

Spkrdctr

Major Contributor
translation? If you haven't seen any news in the past week Will S literally walked up and smacked Chris Rock at the Oscars after CR made a questionabe joke about his wife's alopecia.
Ohhhh so that is what it was. I thought Chris Rock mentioned he was thinking of buying a P-12 Regenerator. I figured Will did what any good friend would do and took immediate action before Chris bought the P-12. I had it all wrong..........

DWI

He's not the only one ranting. ;)

There is no need to have an open mind about a power cable. No more than having an open mind about jumping out of a window.
Absurd.

Have an 'open mind' about things not already known.
Would you have a more open mind about windows if the building was on fire and there was a swimming pool below? That’s the problem with generalisations made without context.

Your completely closed mind about cables means that, if they are of any benefit, you will never know. Same with regenerators.

Top Bottom