• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AudioQuest NRG-X3 Review (AC Power Cord)

Rate this product:

• 1. Waste of money

Votes: 324 89.0%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 7 1.9%

• Total voters

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
When a person realizes that they have been duped into buying useless cables the wind in their sails is surely dead after. It ruins the integrity of the entire industry and the of the people that work in it.
And why the holy F is it not not legally classed as fraud - with the police knocking on the door?

Definition of fraud

1a : deceit, trickery specifically
intentional perversion of truth in order to induce another to part with something of value or to surrender a legal right

Ingenieur

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I didn't measure the loop. I measured one leg.
That makes it higher:
Yours 21 Ohm / 1000' (18 AWG ~8.5 Ohm)
$$$ 3.2 Ohm / 1000' (14 AWG)

Your Less than spec cord >>> $$$ cord.
;)

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And why the holy F is it not not legally classed as fraud - with the police knocking on the door?
In Canada it is not classified as a crime and not prosecuted in a criminal court. It's dealt with in a small claims court. The coppers don't get involved with small claims unless it is a actual theft under $5000 or over $5000. So the penalties are trivial and there's little to nothing to fear from duping somebody on a expensive cable or whatever. I think there should be some sort of consumer protection law(s) that deal with the retailer/etailer to create recourse for people that have been ripped off.

Ingenieur

Also, keep in mind that there are no nominal values for stranded cable. Solid, yes. Stranded is all over the place from my past testing/experience. In addition, my measurements include connectors.
The NEC has solid and stranded (not fine stranded). In my experience at best 20% lower in a DC test.

If the connectors are good they are x mOhm range or less.
I just made a ~40' run of 4/14 per pole.
Hydraulic compression fittings.
My Fluke 0.0 (calculated ~ 0.05 Ohm)
This is the cable, fine stranded Cu.
80EC8A01-CFC7-48A2-91CA-6474B299C239.jpeg

CinDyment

Also, keep in mind that there are no nominal values for stranded cable. Solid, yes. Stranded is all over the place from my past testing/experience. In addition, my measurements include connectors.

Unless it is a UL listed cable, in which case it based on equivalent cross-sectional area, so you could call that adhering to the standard. Non-listed speaker cables and non-UL cable .... all over the map. Was buying some wire for my boat, and almost got fooled by copper clad aluminum! Did not say that any where, but it just did not feel the correct weight for that gauge and length. Looked at the end closely and you could tell it was not solid copper.

Ingenieur

Here's a test you can do with your meter that does output Z/SC I.
You'll need an adapter or rig one up.
-a short piece of extension cord, female end. Wire it to a male IEC.
Plug the tester into it and see what each does. 'transient' response lol

Portable or flexible cords are listed in the NEC, UL cords must use them.

Afterthought: if you do the wall too you'll know the cord parameters alone.

Say you get 800 A at the wall ~ 120 VAC
And 600 A from the cord.
Wall ~ 120/800 ~ 0.15 Ohm
Cord ~ 120/600 ~ 0.20 Ohm
Cord ~ 0.20 - 0.15 ~ 0.05 Ohm

Last edited:

kongwee

Major Contributor
Properly my diy Belden silver plated, Teflon insulation, 440V 16amp. 83333e cable with certified socket will cost more.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

DWI

That's also my main point.

The people who buy these nonsense products aren't just stockbrokers who sit in their penthouses snorting coke grasping every opportunity to waste money on something extravagant. Most of them are normal hobbyists who have been convinced that "investing" money in these products will put them at the forefront of audio reproduction technology. They deserve to be informed when they are throwing their hard earned cash at Fata Morgana. Personally I'd be pissed if I was in that situation and nobody told me, because hey... it's just business. That's why we should care, even when we aren't caught in that circus anymore.
But in Hans Christian Anderson's parable it was not his counsellors who told the king that his invisible clothes were a fiction, it was a small boy. Whilst the people saw the deceit, the king was prouder of his clothes than ever.

Ingenieur

It says those are "nominal" values, not actual. My measurements of 12 gauge stranded wires showed wide variations: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/when-12-gauge-wire-is-not-12-gauge.3/
Good info. My point, if yours is 6x the the R of the $$$ it reinforces that power cords do not matter, At all.

As far as your chart:
It makes sense to me.
First, mOhm, 1 mOhm off = 1 Ohm / 1000'
The Best Buy and Fry, 4.5+ Ohm
If I'm looking at the weights correct, my guess is they are Al.
The RS is an outlier, but based on weight it must be larger than the others? More Cu?

One of my functions is approving cables for my industry: SO type to 15 kV

Look at it like this
Assume yours is 0.26 Ohm loop
Likely rated 12 or 15 A
Using 15 A that is almost 60 W?

If you ever want to talk offline I'ld be interested.
FBF15A98-0854-49D6-BFF3-8E80DFD1BA9D.png

Ingenieur

Fraud is a criminal act, it is defined differently. You can bet they have lawyers vet their claims. Either subjective things, or that can't be proven.
To prove it:
First, the government must charge
You would need an independent lab
Likely a PE as an expert
And prove damages

If you go the civil route, much the same, but you can make claim.

In the best case you get a refund.
That is why trial periods are so generous.
You can return it.
If you keep it that implies you find no fault.

• Misrepresentation of a material fact
  • Knowledge on the part of the accused that they were misrepresenting the fact
  • The misrepresentation was made purposefully, with the intent of fooling the victim
  • The victim believed the misrepresentation and relied upon it
  • The victim suffered damages as a result of the misrepresentation

wwenze

Major Contributor
But in Hans Christian Anderson's parable it was not his counsellors who told the king that his invisible clothes were a fiction, it was a small boy. Whilst the people saw the deceit, the king was prouder of his clothes than ever.

Just ban the boy. Done.

Modern_Problems_Require_Modern_Solutions.jpg

Ingenieur

Someone mentioned QED and I remembered they do publish measurements of all their cables. Then I found this white paper that explains why a power cable can make a difference and that includes some measurements. It seems the equipment details are missing so they can't be reproduced.

In particular, on page 5 there is a measurement of the the output of some (unspecified) integrated amplifier with a generic and their cable. Let me quote that part:

They have some other measurements of the output of a "typical integrated amplifier".
BS
the one graph page 5 is in dBu
80 vs 90 at 1000 Hz is 50 uV.
And I still have doubts how that got to the output.

The one on page, funnier.
X00 MHz! And they don't give you a level.

DWI

The point being, if there is a scam, it needs a simple revelation with absolute clarity to change minds, and even then you won't change all minds.

carewser

When a person realizes that they have been duped into buying useless cables the wind in their sails is surely dead after. It ruins the integrity of the entire industry and the of the people that work in it.
Greatest duper of all was Monster, they're probably a billion dollar company now and they started peddling the snake oil with their cables and wires and because human echoic memory is so short, many people genuinely believed their cables/wires improved the sound

Last edited:

duckworp

There are views expressed elsewhere on audio forums and audio FB groups that ASR members have developed some extreme cult-like views, like this one. Measurements are interesting and useful and Amir does a great job providing them. But you can’t start arresting people for manufacturing items which don’t conform to your view. Most of us are not living in a police state which defines the law by known science.

Most mains cables sound the same to me but I have found in some components one or two have made a quite noticeable difference. I’m glad the manufacturer of these products makes them. Whether or not they measure differently from the many other same-sounding mains cables I don’t know, and that is not important to me. The idea you propose which is that these products become illegal and the manufacturers are arrested, is the sort of thing which gives ASR its reputation for extreme views.

Beave

Major Contributor
Greatest duper of all was Monster, they're probably a billion dollar company now and they started peddling the snake oil with their cables and wires and because human echoic memory is so short, many people genuinely believed their cables/wires improved the sound

Monster probably did quite well for a while, but they've had significant financial difficulties the last decade or so. They lost out big on the Apple/Beats headphone deal. They also had an executive get them into some very, uh, questionable business ventures.

There are several online news articles detailing their struggles the last few years.

https://www.audioholics.com/news/monster-ousts-executive-with-bizarre-past

https://www.google.com/search?q=mon...QIHVxMBwsQ8tMDegQIARA4&biw=1366&bih=635&dpr=1

CinDyment

There are views expressed elsewhere on audio forums and audio FB groups that ASR members have developed some extreme cult-like views, like this one. Measurements are interesting and useful and Amir does a great job providing them. But you can’t start arresting people for manufacturing items which don’t conform to your view. Most of us are not living in a police state which defines the law by known science.

Most mains cables sound the same to me but I have found in some components one or two have made a quite noticeable difference. I’m glad the manufacturer of these products makes them. Whether or not they measure differently from the many other same-sounding mains cables I don’t know, and that is not important to me. The idea you propose which is that these products become illegal and the manufacturers are arrested, is the sort of thing which gives ASR its reputation for extreme views.

Last time I checked false advertising is illegal under consumer protection laws and FTC acts. In an egregious act, United States v. Arif., a criminal charge of wire fraud was used as communication across state lines was used to perpetuate what the defendant claimed was simple false advertising.

Besides, there is no risk of a charge if the manufacturer can simply prove, with an easily administered blind test, that the products do what they claim. Restrictions have been placed on other dubious products, i.e. homeopathic "remedies", w.r.t. how they can describe themselves.

It is not a matter of conforming to a view, it is a matter of false advertising, which by dictionary definition is fraud, but not typically legal definition.

Top Bottom