• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Okay, I understand. Thank you for the detailed answer.

Will a portable dac/amp improve the sound reproduction of the MDR-ZX66 (aside from adjusting EQ settings or trying to match the AX-550 sound style)? Will I be able to notice a difference between the external dac/amp and the internal of the laptop/phone?

In all likelihood, no. Those cans are designed to be used exactly as you are using them. They dont need to extra power a dedicated amp can bring. Unless the HP out of your PC/ phone is terrible, I doubt you will get a remarkable transformation with a decent DAC/ amp.

A cheap experiment would be the well measuring meizu hifi dac or perhaps even better the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro which should have ample power for those cans. Both can be had from ali express for $25-40 so its a low risk option.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
As many others have coached, your most likely path to greater headphone enjoyment really is to consider upgraded headphones, along with a DAC/Amp like the Qudelix with PEQ (my opinion).

Not sure what you paid for the ZX660, but I see the AP version on Amazon for $30. Not really that much to chalk up to experience. Why not redeploy it to the car for passenger/kid use? That's what I did with my experimental $9 Zx110.

The K371 at $119, as others recommended, should make a nice upgrade.
https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/akg-k371-review-closed-back-headphone.19657/

For $75, the SHP9500 (mentioned earlier) is very comfortable - the most comfortable headphone I own. I use one every day for evening tv listening via a $27 bt receiver. Beats every mpow or other bt HP I've tried.

Last edited:
OP
audio_noob_69

audio_noob_69

Alright. After reading your opinions I have decided not to buy any portable dac/amp. Your input has been very helpful. Thank you for your time.

Top Bottom