• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Seeking Rec for Portable DAC/AMP with USB C connectivity and 1/4 (6.3mm) headphone out with enough power for DCA

Benesyed

As stated I am looking for a portable dac/amp to use with my laptop as the source in my office with my headphones which include DCA Expanse. It does not have to be battery powered but that would be a plus.

I need USB C connectivity to connect to my laptop as the source and I would like 1/4 inch (6.3mm) connection for my DCA so I dont have to switch cables when I get home (I have a JDS element at home)

Thanks in advance!!

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Caught me off guard there. I thought at first you were looking for stereo gear with 1/4 horsepower.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Topping G5 is really good, don't remember anything it couldn't power up. I have another one coming tomorrow, but the review here shows the power level and Asmirn tests with a DC headphone and HD650 to give an idea.
The battery is pretty good, but it's a boat anchor to strap to a phone and carry around. Really is best for a laptop.

OP
Benesyed

Benesyed

The Topping G5 is really good, don't remember anything it couldn't power up. I have another one coming tomorrow, but the review here shows the power level and Asmirn tests with a DC headphone and HD650 to give an idea.
The battery is pretty good, but it's a boat anchor to strap to a phone and carry around. Really is best for a laptop.

Thank you, the G5 is near perfect but I need something that accepts a 1/4 inch termination

OP
Benesyed

Benesyed

The ifi diablo 2 seems to fit but I can't find an objective review of performance when measurements so it makes me hesitant.

I don't even need it it to be truly totl, just powerful, with the requirements stated, and practically transparent.

Might be easier to just get a new cable with a 4.4mm termination, the G5, and an adapter to 6.3 plugged into my JDS indefinitely.

OP
Benesyed

Benesyed

Just getting a 4.4mm cable and the G5 I think

OP
Benesyed

Benesyed

Just getting a 4.4mm cable and the G5 I think

I ended up going this route. The G5 is more than capable at powering the expanse. I am nowhere near max volume (around 30-40% rotation) and audibly I can not hear any distortion which I believe is consistent with amirs measurements.

I had looked at the ifi diablo 2 but at 5x the cost for perhaps a few nicer features (volume wheel lock, more power - unnecessary, and 6.33mm out) but risk of audibly worse performance given IFIs previous variability in measured performance

Top Bottom