• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro Portable DAC & Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 7 2.7%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 27 10.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 224 85.2%

• Total voters

0%_Audiophile

DosThou

Oh you're right, then the part 2 must refer to it having L version. fwiw, that's the one I'm using with no issue.

0%_Audiophile

Ok friends, I sold my sonata bhd pro.
I bought and used it only on PC with windows11.

Found old Apple type C - 3.5mm adapter and hear no difference. 8$ vs 70$…

Also don’t like this sex with firmware on bhd pro, no support, nobody replied to my letter.

Even my old Hidizs S9 pro I liked more than sonata, S9 pro has no firmware updates, no clicking, no checking different firmwares for looking for stable with good sound.

All this time with TempoTec sonata bhd pro I had feeling that it is not finished and not polished product.

And overall I don’t like this overpriced type-C dongles and probably will not buy them anymore.
I remember after using modi+magni stack I was shocked how great sound quality could be from cheap Hidizs S9 pro dongle, now I realized that I can achieve the same from little Apple adapter.

DosThou

oh yeah it's definitely not worth it if you're only gonna use it for the 3.5mm on an easy to drive phones

jsm

Mine was faulty to decrease volume after some use, it is no so easy to open (back is glued) it and it was easy to see what happens: the pressure of the +/- buttons is directly transmitted to the cms-type button, only 2 small solder are "facing" against pushing force to the back of the buttons. I don't remember to have overpush this buttons, it is certainly a faulty ex., but be gentle with it ;).

I resolder the 2 front metal base of the minus button easily. But to prevent the same problem, I put some hot glue behind this 2 CMS buttons, it is barely visible from the "window" and maybe it is recommended for possessors of this DAC to prevent a future solder, as long you have glue pistol and your are used to open recent electronic stuff.
(I pay attention to not put hot glue on chip, for thermal reason as plastic-glue can reduce thermal transfer of the chip into air?).

It was a quick fix (I hope it will last) but unexpected with less than 2 months of use...

A design solution for this trouble is maybe metal brackets from the main case to maintain this chips buttons in place without any loose possibilities.

mtk

Dear ASR community,

long time reader, but a new registered member here. :)
With help of ASR I purchased many products which continue to please me on the daily basis, but I have a small problem with my BHD Sonata Pro.
While using it with PC and streaming music via Deezer Windows app I am fully satisfied with power output and sound quality. However, when I plug BHD Sonata Pro to my mobile phone Nokia X20, I clearly hear distortions while playing in Deezer even on moderate volume levels. My subscription is Hi-Fi which streams in lossless and headphones I use are Sennheiser HD598 and Truthear Zero Red (distortions are clearly heard in both headphones). Sound quality is even better if I connect headphones directly to my mobile phone skipping BHD Pro. I suspect that the problem is with lack of power from my mobile phone, but I am not fully confident as I have not yet tried it with other mobile phones.
Has anyone experienced something similar? Any ideas?

BR,
mtk

staticV3

Master Contributor
@mtk you can use a USB Power Meter to compare the USB voltage and current going into the BHD between your PC and Nokia phone.
If it's the same, then your problem lies elsewhere.

chungfr

It’s been a few months since I bought my TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro. The USB C connector seems to be dying. So I bought a random USB C cable online but the sound quality is atrocious compared to the original cable.

Can anyone suggest where can I find good quality replacement cable?

Madesu

I can recommend the Fiio LT-TC1. You can probably get it on Ali or Amazon depending on your location. The LT-TC3 or TC4 are most likely good as well.

fountain

hey, @amirm, does sonata 8hd pro amp well hd600? or I would need something different, btw this web just became my favorite related audio gear it's awesome this place you created :)

staticV3

Master Contributor
hey, @amirm, does sonata 8hd pro amp well hd600? or I would need something different, btw this web just became my favorite related audio gear it's awesome this place you created :)
The BHD Pro has way more power than you need for the HD600 :)

fountain

The BHD Pro has way more power than you need for the HD600 :)
hey, thanks for answering the question @staticV3 :)

I'd seen before that you are pretty active in this forum, it's nice having such a good interacting community

btw, wich headphone amp do you like more watching these

maybe I'm missing another good one of the forum that I hadn't checked out, if you know another one let us know

thank you, cheers

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
hey, thanks for answering the question @staticV3 :)

I'd seen before that you are pretty active in this forum, it's nice having such a good interacting community

btw, wich headphone amp do you like more watching these

maybe I'm missing another good one of the forum that I hadn't checked out, if you know another one let us know

thank you, cheers
They are equivalent. As for the sound, you can choose any of the two.

fountain

This is a review and detailed measurements of the TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro portable DAC and headphone amplifier. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $70.
View attachment 312470
I really like the fresh look of the BHD. There is a red LED that lights up the tiny ICs in there, giving it some elegance. There are volume control buttons on the side with good tactile feedback. And from what I could see in measurements, they have fine resolution.

Importantly there is support for 4.4 mm balanced headphone out in addition to 3.5mm.

EDIT: I originally left out "Pro" out of the name. Corrected some but the rest of the graphs are still missing that word in the model name.

TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro Measurements​

Let's start with our dashboard using balanced output:
View attachment 312471

SINAD of 105 dB is excellent for a portable DAC. But check out unbalanced output:
View attachment 312472

Wow, this thing will give many desktop dacs a run for their money! And that is not all. See the dynamic range:
View attachment 312304
Stunning!

Jitter performance is the best of any dongle from what I can remember:
View attachment 312305

Dynamic range is excellent even at 50 mv:
View attachment 312306
View attachment 312307

High output voltage translates to plenty of power for 300 ohm headphones:
View attachment 312308

View attachment 312309

Same for 32 ohm:
View attachment 312310
View attachment 312311

Not feeling well so no listening performance. May do so tomorrow and report back but I expect no surprises.

Conclusions
The performance of the Sonata BHD Pro rates as state of the art for portable DACs and will easily substitute for many desktop DACs as well. Add this the nice enclosure and controls and you have a winner.

It is my pleasure to add it to my recommended list.

Manufacturer Specifications:
Sonata BHD Pro is a USB C dongle DAC&
  • DAC: 2*CS43131
  • SNR: 131dB
  • THD+N: 0.00012%(@32ohm 1kHz 0dB signal )
  • OUTPUT LEVEL: [email protected]/32Ω,[email protected]/32Ω
  • OUTPUT POWER: [email protected]/32ohm
  • Frequency: 0-40KHZ /+- 0.5dB
  • RGB light: indicates working status
  • PCM: up to 32Bit/384kHz DSD256(NATIVE)
  • DSD: up to DSD256
  • MQA: MQA renderer 8X
  • Volume Control: hardware buttons
  • Platform support: Windows PC,MACOS and Android
  • USB Audio driver: Win7,Win8 Win10 & Exclusive ASIO driver for windows system

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Hi, does someone know what does this mean?

Captura de pantalla 2024-01-29 205838.png

fountain

I know this sounds kinda stupid but could clipping produce hearing damage or damage to your iem?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I know this sounds kinda stupid but could clipping produce hearing damage or damage to your iem?
Theoretically yes but it doesn't happen so harsh in practice that it clips wild at once and hard (voltage collapse). Amplifier clips softly when over driven on peaks and you hear it, dial volume down and give it some rest that it cools down. Every amplifier dose that when driven beyond what it can give.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Hi, does someone know what does this mean?

Didn’t you know Amir previously moonlighted as a draughtsman?, he hand draws each graph then scans them into his pc before collating them into his review. For the above dramatic red vertical line I imagine his dog was about to drop one off on his fav listening rug and Amir reacted rather too quickly to avert the disaster and dragged his pen up the page, obviously it should have been caught in the editing process so kudus for finding the error, I’m sure he will now amend the graph.

Top Bottom