• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TempoTec Sonata BHD Pro Portable DAC & Amp Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 5 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 2.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 28 10.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 237 85.3%

• Total voters
Cant wait for my ordered one to arrive...but I wonder if it is powerful enough to drive my HE400se

Cant wait for my ordered one to arrive...but I wonder if it is powerful enough to drive my HE400se
The BHD Pro can drive the HE400se to about 110dB SPL Peak, which is very loud indeed.

It's about six times as loud as my usual listening volume.

Hey folks! I'm wondering whether BHD Pro can playback both ASIO and non-ASIO audio simultaneously? Would really appreciate it if someone could check this for me. I'm looking forward to replacing my Apogee Groove with a BHD Pro (for reasons), but this feature is a total deal-breaker for me as I'm working with professional audio.

If someone will be checking this for me - please make sure to have the same sample rate (preferably 48k) set for both ASIO and non-ASIO, as even Apogee Groove won't work with different sample rates, so I can't expect BHD Pro to do this.

Thank you!

I purchased this device as well as 7Hz Salnotes Zero IEM based on the reviews on this site.. I'm a little embarrassed to say this, but now I often choose this particular bundle to listen to classical music, rather than my favorite $4k monitors. The orchestra is finally playing! Thank you, Amirm!

What is the nos option?
Are al these firmware options confirmed to work or theyre placeholders?

Hey folks! I'm wondering whether BHD Pro can playback both ASIO and non-ASIO audio simultaneously? Would really appreciate it if someone could check this for me. I'm looking forward to replacing my Apogee Groove with a BHD Pro (for reasons), but this feature is a total deal-breaker for me as I'm working with professional audio.

If someone will be checking this for me - please make sure to have the same sample rate (preferably 48k) set for both ASIO and non-ASIO, as even Apogee Groove won't work with different sample rates, so I can't expect BHD Pro to do this.

Thank you!
I don't see any reason to use non-ASIO if you're doing professional audio.

Is anyone using this DAC with an iPhone 15 via USB-C with Roon (ARC or Remote) for playback? It seems there's a bug somewhere in the chain when playing DSD over PCM that produces static. Different firmware versions on the DAC make no difference, and I've connected it to the iPhone as both "Headphones" and "Other USB Device" when prompted, Forgetting all USB Audio Devices in between. Anyone care to weigh in if they're experiencing the same?

Last edited:
I don't understand how the 33 - 300 ohm charts make sense with the Tachim Space having better SINAD than the Sonata?

I don't understand how the 33 - 300 ohm charts make sense with the Tachim Space having better SINAD than the Sonata?
Think the answer lies in this comment above the power graphs on the Space review:

"The compatibility issue I have with testing causes the noise floor of these sweeps to be about 15 dB higher than they really are. So let's use them for computing max power:"

hello i will receive my sonata BHD pro next week. And would like to use it with my Samsung s24 ultra. To obtain the best sound could you give me some advice : best cable to Connect the phone to the sonata, best Samsung serttings, any app to use on the Samsung? Best in ear speakers. Thanks for your help

hello i will receive my sonata BHD pro next week. And would like to use it with my Samsung s24 ultra. To obtain the best sound could you give me some advice : best cable to Connect the phone to the sonata, best Samsung serttings, any app to use on the Samsung? Best in ear speakers. Thanks for your help
At least the IEM that most people here, Amir included, like very very much is the Truthear Crinacle Zero / Truthear Crinacle Zero red.
Sharur even likes the new Truthear Nova, which matches the Harman 2019 preference curve perfectly.
The differences between these IEM are small: the Zero (blue) may be a tiny tiny bit brighter than the Zero RED.
The RED or the Nova are simply perfection.

To obtain the best sound could you give me some advice : best cable to Connect the phone to the sonata
Cable doesn't matter. Use whatever looks and handles nice.

best Samsung serttings
Just one thing: turn off UHQ Upscaling.

any app to use on the Samsung?
USB Audio Player Pro for bit-perfect playback.

Best in ear speakers.
7Hz Zero 2 or Truthear Red is a good place to start.

The braided cable in mine developed a short and had to be replaced. Reached out thru Amazon but, as seems common with Chi-Fi vendors, got no response.

Is this basically the same as the

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter?​

Is this basically the same as the

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter?​

BHD is a bit larger. Tanchjim has slightly better THD+noise performance, but less output power. If you're gonna use power-hungry over-ear headphones, probably go with the Tempotec BHD. If you're gonna use efficient headphones or IEMs, probably go with the Tanchjim.

Last edited:
Yes, they differs in minor and inaudible details. Technically I think they use different interfaces, while Tanchjim probably using a more canonical Comtrue usb bridge, Tempotec, as seen here, used a Gowin GW1NZ-LV1 fpga + Airoha AB1565 Arm usb bridge that could also be a bluetooth interface and dsp :rolleyes:
Maybe they are setting up the platform for a future more featured device?
I just came across a review of this dongle where the reviewer says it supports bluetooth but i don't remember it being ever said here nor it's advertised in any way on the official site, can any owner confirm this? Asking just out of curiosity since in that case it would make much more sense the use of the Airoha BT chipset i mentioned in the previous post.

Back
Top Bottom