• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

• Total voters

fas42

Major Contributor
My little amps claim 700W/4Ohm. I have seen 140F/60C on the (exposed) heat sinks
Only sometimes? My old Perreaux MOSFET class AB used to run at this temperature on the heatsinks constantly - and the monster laminated core transformer was always cookin' hot.

On hot days I lifted the lid a bit - have mercy on the poor passives ...

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

A.wayne

The Arcona 100 says 86dB @2W sensitivity

View attachment 7785

86db = 2W
96dB = 20W
106dB = 200W - That (peak SPL, anyway) is party level here...

Amp specs:

View attachment 7786

Close to the edge?

Do they get hot?

---

My little amps claim 700W/4Ohm. I have seen 140F/60C on the (exposed) heat sinks

They've never shut down playing music.

Loudish - roughly equivalent to levels on CD - right now, vocal and piano, Akiko Yano, via Amazon streaming, cuts off at 17kHz.

View attachment 7790

View attachment 7791

Right now 128F/53.3C on the heat sinks, 80F/26.6C ambient.
If only it was that simple ..

Last edited:

A.wayne

He identifies the correct problem. That is, what people think is the "problem" with digital is that it maintains all the high frequencies that is in the source and that can be grating to ears. That is just what a high fidelity system is supposed to do but folks will opt for different sources that roll that off for a solution.

If it sounds unnatrual it will immediately be noted as offensive , regardless of ideology and Nyquist plot ...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Voted OK but it's more a "time will tell" situation.
Just got in the final few pieces to the puzzle and plugged the thing together tonight.
Quoting myself from over a year ago here.
Now one year + down the road I've come to a position that for stereo music playback, my system is "good enough" to please me in the long run.
With 50 years of Hi Fi under my belt and a good knowledge of the gear and my personal preferences, I chose and assembled the pieces well.

As a MCH-HT rig I've got the itch to add Atmos-Auro 3D to the mix. I have set of speakers that would be perfect for ceiling mount and a spare Adcom amp to drive them.
That leaves needing to update my pre/pro but at the moment they're just too pricey. Looks like I'll be waiting another year till the required piece starts showing up on the used market for about 30% of the current retail. (ever the audio cheapskate). When that happens as a bonus I'll also be gaining a upgraded level of Audyssey for improved room correction.
Let me go buy that Lotto ticket now.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Then again an earlier snapshot from Ray of its specs said max of 150 watts RMS. If so, then it may cook the drivers.
I suppose it is possible the 150 watts is the power dissipated by the drivers and with the low power factor it may require several hundred watts to get there. Of course max power ratings are kind of a foggy idea on speakers.

fas42

Major Contributor
I suppose it is possible the 150 watts is the power dissipated by the drivers and with the low power factor it may require several hundred watts to get there. Of course max power ratings are kind of a foggy idea on speakers.
Indeed they are foggy ... it's irritating that one doesn't have a clear idea of how much power they can take before being damaged - one thing that amazed me in my early days was that speakers can take far more power than they are given credit for, while still remaining essentially clean - a pure sine wave would be diabolical, and kill them instantly - and your ears too :D - but with conventional musical waveforms they can absorb huge transient hits from amplifiers, and just laugh at you. Massive musical crescendos are easy for speakers, hard for amplifiers ...

A.wayne

If "AK Level" means phase, then yes, that is one inefficient speaker and needs a juicy amp. I would get a class D amp and make it really sing for parties :).

As suspected low Z with low sensitivity , Class D may shut down too , depends on the protection circuit design. The current surge on Dynamics coupled with high thermal dissipation will task most amps ..

Regards

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Quoting myself from over a year ago here.
Now one year + down the road I've come to a position that for stereo music playback, my system is "good enough" to please me in the long run.
With 50 years of Hi Fi under my belt and a good knowledge of the gear and my personal preferences, I chose and assembled the pieces well.

As a MCH-HT rig I've got the itch to add Atmos-Auro 3D to the mix. I have set of speakers that would be perfect for ceiling mount and a spare Adcom amp to drive them.
That leaves needing to update my pre/pro but at the moment they're just too pricey. Looks like I'll be waiting another year till the required piece starts showing up on the used market for about 30% of the current retail. (ever the audio cheapskate). When that happens as a bonus I'll also be gaining a upgraded level of Audyssey for improved room correction.
Let me go buy that Lotto ticket now.
Sal - Careful about Atmos vs. Auro. Ideal speaker setups for each are not really compatible. Atmos wants ceiling, Auro wants 30 degrees up, with ceiling as a less important, optional 3rd tier. Personally, I am staying away from both. Auro would be better for music, if it succeeds. Atmos is I think technically inferior, but the Dolby name is seemingly priceless. I don't think Atmos has any possible future for music, but it is likely to prevail for cinema.

So, hope you hit the lottery. Then, you can buy a 32 channel Trinnov Altitude prepro, and you are all set.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Sal - Careful about Atmos vs. Auro. Ideal speaker setups for each are not really compatible. Atmos wants ceiling, Auro wants 30 degrees up, with ceiling as a less important, optional 3rd tier. Personally, I am staying away from both. Auro would be better for music, if it succeeds. Atmos is I think technically inferior, but the Dolby name is seemingly priceless. I don't think Atmos has any possible future for music, but it is likely to prevail for cinema.

So, hope you hit the lottery. Then, you can buy a 32 channel Trinnov Altitude prepro, and you are all set.

I actually had DTS-X more in mind when I typed Auro, which is a bit of a weird proprietary system.
DTS-X looks to be the current ticket for music enhancement.
Atmos is pretty much a done deal for immersive movie encoding, at least for the time being. Things travel fast in the HT world.
But for better or worse at least your spent $ makes an actual change in sound, unlike High End's Dracula's coffin ground boxes etc. LOL

Burning Sounds

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Voted, yes but......Very happy with my system, I just wish the room was a little wider so I could get the LX521s further away from the sidewalls. They are still within Siegried Linkwitz's recommendations so not too much of a problem.
I've also still got my 30 year old Maggie 2.5rs (active) which have been given a new lease of life by using the Linkwitz dipole bass units which frees up the bass/mid panel from low bass duty. The Maggies don't image like the LX521s do, but have scale that is wonderful for good live rock albums and the Linkwitz bass units add some real weight to the bottom end. The Maggies are mounted on large swing arms that enables me to fold them flat against the sidewall when not in use and then swing them out next to the bass units when I want to listen to them. I can change from one speaker to the other in a few minutes as it only requires a couple of speaker cable changes and loading the appropriate x-over into JRiver.

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Somebody didn't vote yet...

Poll at top of page.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Where are my holograms?

Or my VR goggles at least?

Where is my direct stimulation of my auditory nerve, bypassing room acoustics?

Yes, I'm dissatisfied with my home audio.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
New members around... bump...

Cosmik

Major Contributor
----- Deleted !! -----

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I think I have been paraphrased as:
"My system is so good, so pure, so refined, that I don't need room correction, unlike your paltry gear that needs distortion-adding DSP processing to make it sound right. Adding DSP/room correction to my system would make it sound worse."

So I may as well post it here, too.

No, you were not. I did not have you or any other member of this or any other forum in mind when I wrote that and have edited my post for clarity. It paraphrases a statement made in a local audio store's demo session. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Top Bottom