• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
I saw Donut Media released a video about upgrading there $500 Honda Civic with a $1K sound system. The video tries to be a guide but It offers somewhat wrong and missing information although its more of a overview then anything. Honestly this feels like some Best Buy car audio haul setup that they wanted now rather then waiting on shipping for better performing parts.

The Parts I saw (Prices different from video):
Headunit: Pioneer DEH-S4220BT ($100 Common).
Amp: Pioneer GM-DX975 ($361 Amazon Sale, $420 Common).
Door Speakers: Kicker CSC65 ($70 Amazon Sale, $90 Common).
Subwoofer: Kicker 48CWRT104 (~$150 to $160, Not much sellers).
Subwoofer Box: SPL Boxes SB110 ($80 Common).

Bad Things I've observed:
  1. Claims OFC wire offers "Better Clarity"
  2. No info about RCA Pre-out Voltage.
  3. No info about Alternator amps.
  4. No info about Crossover settings and bridging.
  5. No info about Subwoofer types. (Ex: Coils, Ohms, etc).
  6. No info about Door Speaker ohms.
  7. No info about Headunit types. (Ex: DIN size, CD-less).
  8. No info about Amp wire fuses (Battery side).
  9. No info about how long the Amp Ground should be.
  10. No info about wiring the Head-unit.
  11. Project Box doesn't appear to have any padding inside.
  12. Project Subwoofer is wired in 8 ohm Series (I think I could be wrong, frames were quick).
Good Things:
  1. Use OFC wiring if possible.
  2. Lookout for RMS ratings.
  3. Replace factory speaker wire (Depends on how many watts).
  4. They used the right amount of RCA wires for their project.
  5. Using wood for subwoofer placement.
  6. Subwoofer and Box match (In terms of Cubic Footing) and they talk about it.
  7. They talked about Vented and Sealed boxes.
  8. Talks of building your own box vs buying prebuilt.
  9. Talks of remote wire.
  10. Pioneer headunit & amp pre-out voltage are technically compatible together.
  11. Pioneer headunit is fine all round (Decent Pre-out Voltage).
  12. Kicker door speakers are pretty decent (Takes good power while sounding good, I heard them in person at a audio shop).
Nit picks:
1. Could've used the factory wiring for the door speakers.
2. Poking a hole does not render a subwoofer useless unless the hole is pretty large.
3. Pioneer amp is overvalued, and somehow "Hi-Res" certified despite being [CTA2006 rated for "75 dBA (1W into 4 ohm)]". I would've picked the "Kenwood Excelon X802-5", Fronts get a bit more power then the sub output but its output is a little cleaner [CTA2006: 80 dBA (Reference: 1 Watt into 4 Ohms)] and its $70 cheaper then the common Pioneer price. If your more daring, you could've tried the "NVX NDA501".
4. Kicker Subwoofer is even more overvalued. Could've used the "NVX VCW104v3" (Overkill But $20 cheaper) or "NVX VSW104v2" (Under Pioneer Amp by 100 watts but $50 cheaper).
5. I would've chosen a cheaper box. Either the "Belva 1SL10-0.7" or Belva 1SL10-0.7, both are $20 cheaper (For the NVX Subwoofers). The "Belva MDFS1012" could've worked for that Kicker subwoofer, also $20 cheaper.
6. Pioneer Amp is installed onto the subwoofer box (More likely to fail sooner due to closer vibrations).
7. No talks about remote wire milliamps but honestly modern equipment is very low.
8. No talks about the tools.
9. No talks about inner door padding.
10. No talks about Headunit DSPs and external DSPs (Very Nit picking).
11. Sometimes its better to have 2 amps then 1 amp.
12. No talks about amp types.
13. No info about places for hiding wires and separating power wires from RCA wires.

Top Bottom