• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Does Your System "Wow" or "Amaze" You? Looking to upgrade? Tell Us About It....

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Denizens of ASR !

Measurements are fun 'n everything, but the ultimate reason we are all audiophiles is because we care about sound quality, and the experience of listening to music
specifically.

I know there is a "tell us what you have in your system" thread, but what I'm looking for is more about how you like your system and why. Is it doing "it" for you, whatever you were seeking? Does it ever wow? Leaving you shaking your head with amazement at the listening experience? Does it merely satisfy you? What are you getting out of your system?

One could even talk about the positives and possible negatives, things you love and things you might seek to improve. You don't need to get all "subjectivist" in your language
if it doesn't suit you...however you want to get your point across.

I'm most interested in hearing about other people's systems/experience, but since I posed the questions I'll start off:

Current system:

Joseph Audio Perspective 2 Graphene speakers
Conrad Johnson Premier 12 tube monoblocks
Benchmark LA4 preamp (and also CJ Premier 16LS2 tube preamp)
Benchmark DAC2L
BlueSound NODE music server (ripped CDs and Tidal etc streaming)
Transrotor Fat Bob S turntable/Acoustic Solid Arm/Benz Micro Ebony L cartridge.
JE Audio HP10 phono stage

Does it amaze me? Hell yes! It's part of the fun of this hobby that after 30 years I can still regularly be left thinking 'holy sh*t' when listening to music in my little abode.
The general characteristics I'm enjoying are a massive, wide, deep wall-melting soundstage, with excellent imaging precision, amazing clarity and tonal precision, and beautiful deep, punchy, well controlled bass (when I've got my speakers dialed in right..I like to experiment). I'm not feeling the need for subwoofers at this point. One of the main attractions for me is a sense of extended airy highs, immediacy, clarity and "happening right now" aliveness, yet it isn't at all fatiguing in the highs.

Downsides? My other speakers, Thiels, are a bit more dense sounding, a bit larger in scale, a bit more authoritative (bigger drivers), though not quite matching the timbrel finesse and total disappearing act of the Joseph speakers. But...that's why I keep two sets of speakers around. :)

I'm likely to take another stab at putting solid state amps in the system, something I try every few years. Might even grab a Benchmark amp to go with the Benchmark LA4 and DAC2L.

What about you and your system?

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I know there is a "tell us what you have in your system" thread, but what I'm looking for is more about how you like your system and why. Is it doing "it" for you, whatever you were seeking? Does it ever wow? Leaving you shaking your head with amazement at the listening experience? Does it merely satisfy you? What are you getting out of your system?
I am reallly liking my headphone/DAC/headphone amp system that I have although the music tracks are lacking mostly in sound quality. I listen to some well recorded live stuff or studio produced and then I listen to the average and below average recordings and I miss the better sound quality. This is not doing it for me. I am missing a huge amount of music because the tracks sound bad. One would think sound quality would be of primary importance to the artists but bad recording after bad recording gets through to the end users. :D

ThatM1key

Major Contributor
Main System:
Topping E30
Yamaha A-S301
ELAC Debut 2.0 B6.2

Its clash system of "stuff that people say is good". I like how brute and honest it is, if you feed it lossy audio, it won't "soften" it up and you'll hear the compression (Ex: Watery Treble). If you give it good lossless content, you can easily pick apart instruments in a song. Although since I'm sitting so close to it, the bass can be lacking. You'll feel the bass but not hear it but if your at the back of the room, the bass is massive. To solve the close bass issue, I could get a subwoofer to the opposite side of the room. Even with the bass issue, I still really like the setup and its never fatiguing.

The issue is that I constantly control bass because sometimes its lacking or sometimes its too much. I wanted to get a home subwoofer but most do not come with remotes. What I'm thinking of doing is getting a "Nobsound G2 PRO" or something similar. Have that subwoofer amp at my desk and then run long speaker wire to the opposite side of the room and use a car subwoofer (Not a cheap all-in-one).

I don't use EQ but EQ would make it better yes but I how easy its thrown together and sounds excellent.

Right now, I'm focusing on my car audio because these days I rarely listen to my main setup. Drive To work, work, Drive back home, Watch TV for 1 hour, Sleep, repeat.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am reallly liking my headphone/DAC/headphone amp system that I have although the music tracks are lacking mostly in sound quality. I listen to some well recorded live stuff or studio produced and then I listen to the average and below average recordings and I miss the better sound quality. This is not doing it for me. I am missing a huge amount of music because the tracks sound bad. One would think sound quality would be of primary importance to the artists but bad recording after bad recording gets through to the end users. :D

I have long perused a system that would allow virtually any track I threw on to be enjoyable. Though, who knows, perhaps the lesser quality tracks I still find to sound good
would to your ears sound like crap. I was just listening to a 70's soundtrack that was generally thin sounding, very little bass. Still, what was there was really vivid, clear, timbrally distinguished, and energetic. Perhaps someone else wouldn't put up with it, but I really enjoyed the listening experience.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have long perused a system that would allow virtually any track I threw on to be enjoyable. Though, who knows, perhaps the lesser quality tracks I still find to sound good
would to your ears sound like crap. I was just listening to a 70's soundtrack that was generally thin sounding, very little bass. Still, what was there was really vivid, clear, timbrally distinguished, and energetic. Perhaps someone else wouldn't put up with it, but I really enjoyed the listening experience.
Some 70s recordings are exemplary of good recording quality. I find even some 1950s and 1960s recordings are awesome. Then there is contemporary fresh stuff that is right off the production floor and it sucks. It's not a deal breaker for me although some music tracks I can't see my way to listen to them when I have access to better stuff. I think when I had my tri-amp'd active speaker system that it sounded good on most stuff like you detailed about your speakers. Maybe my headphones are not up to my needs but when I get a good sounding track it's reallly good so I blame the recording quality on the bad stuff.

MarkS

Major Contributor
My system:

Goldenear Triton Seven speakers (passive)
one SVS 3000 Micro subwoofer
Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 streaming integrated amp with subwoofer integration and room correction
Marantz CD5003 CD player

This is a very modest system by audiophile standards, but happily for me, I have always been immune to audio woo. I've known that cables make no difference and that SINAD makes no difference for many decades. (There, I've annoyed everyone!)

I listen primarily to classical instrumental music, mostly orchestral. If I close my eyes while listening to my system, I can easily believe that I am in a concert hall. That's what matters to me.

And listening to my favorite recordings of my favorite pieces can easily leave me wowed.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty much in awe with system sonics since I implemented DSP/room correction awhile back, but wouldn't mind tone controls / not-too complex eq for seasoning the sound of imperfect recordings to taste.

My venture back into vinyl would be collecting dust, except that I wipe down the turntable regularly. As annoyed as I get with pre-echo and IGD, I suppose the #1 reason for my loss of enthusiasm really comes down to: Vinyl is expensive these days, and CDs are cheap.

OK I lied a little: Cinema sound could be better, and if nothing else, I think I'd like better L, R and Center channel speakers. Have Klipsch Chorus IIIs from the thrift store, which sound like small speakers, DSP or no.

OP
MattHooper

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My system:

Goldenear Triton Seven speakers (passive)
one SVS 3000 Micro subwoofer
Lyngdorf TDAI-1120 streaming integrated amp with subwoofer integration and room correction
Marantz CD5003 CD player

Nice! Those Goldenear Triton speakers don't look modest at all!

This is a very modest system by audiophile standards, but happily for me, I have always been immune to audio woo. I've known that cables make no difference and that SINAD makes no difference for many decades. (There, I've annoyed everyone!)

Ha. I just realized, we probably won't see people here including cables in their system profile. But on other forums almost everyone would mention their cables. ;-)

I listen primarily to classical instrumental music, mostly orchestral. If I close my eyes while listening to my system, I can easily believe that I am in a concert hall. That's what matters to me.

And listening to my favorite recordings of my favorite pieces can easily leave me wowed.

Great to hear. I have the same type of criteria, that "transported to the concert hall" on occasion. It certainly takes the listener's imagination meeting the illusion part way, but
it's great when it happens. (As it did for me tonight: I was listening to the score to the original Star Trek movie and the sensation of a large orchestra spread out before me, and the sense of a huge horn section in the distant corner of the hall "igniting" the surrounding acoustics when blaring loudly, was so satisfying. It was of course scaled down vs the real thing, but it's one of the elements I always loved about seeing a live symphony).

MarkS

Major Contributor
Nice! Those Goldenear Triton speakers don't look modest at all!
These are the smallest cheapest Goldenear towers, MSRP is currently $2200/pair (and 2 years ago when I bought them they were $1600/pair).

The Lyngdorf's room correction and PEQ capabilities help a lot. I haven't done anything very fancy with PEQ, I usually use a steady down tilt of 2dB/octave.

Last edited:

Holmz

Major Contributor
Downsides? My other speakers, Thiels, are a bit more dense sounding, a bit larger in scale, a bit more authoritative (bigger drivers), though not quite matching the timbrel finesse and total disappearing act of the Joseph speakers. But...that's why I keep two sets of speakers around. :)

I moved my speakers about 20 years ago, and was amazed as the sound was sounding like it was coming from a meter beind the wall.
The Mrs said, “They look ugly there, plus they do not even sound right… I cannot hear the speakers themselves, and it just sounds like the music coming form outside the house.”

Then almost 2 years ago I set them up in a new new room/house, and had the Tv going into a preamp input.
(There was the equivalent of the Super Bowl paying that afternoon, and my instruction was to make sure we could watch it live on TV.)
I told her, ”Come in, it is set up now.”
She came in and I put her in the center seat.
She said, ”That is good, but can you move the speaker into the garage?”
Me: ”ah… what about the commentary and sound?”
Her: “They sound is coming from the TV.”
Me: …went to the preamp and turned it down…
Mrs: ”How are you controlling the TV from the Stereo?”
Me: …Walks to the TV and turns up the TV volume.”
Mrs: “turn the TV sound off and turn the speakers back on.”
Mrs: “How can the speakers sound like they are at the TV?”
Me: “It is PFM”

Then with music…
Mrs: “How can they make the instruments be in different places?”
Me “I dunno, it’s PFM.”
Mrs: “Why don’t my speakers, and other speakers do that?”
Me: ”There is no PFM.”
Mrs: “They still sound different that my brother’s Bose ones.“
Me: ”I know.”
Mrs: “Why can’t they be small and on a shelf like the Bose ones? And why do they sound more like a Bose when shoved against the wall and the instruments don’t stay in the right place”
Me: “I dunno.”

Other friends listening… “WTF! How does it I know where to put the instruments?”
Me: ”PFM”
Them: “What’s PFM mean, is that some science thing?”
Me: “nah mate… it’s PFM is short for ‘Pure Magic’ ”

Once the imaging and spatial spread is there, then the nuance of timbre, tone etc is something more like spicing “to taste”.
It is then less treble (black magic), or bright and sharp (white magic), or some sloped FR (pink magic).
But you need the imaging and spatial to have the magic IMO.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use my JBL 708P as my reference “truth” speaker to calibrate what a neutral speaker should sound like. The 708P is notable for having a slightly flatter response instead of a downward tilt, but this has been my preferred treble sparkle for over 30 years.

5.2.4 channel HT system
Yamaha CX-A5100 + MX-A5000
JBL S/2600
JBL S/1500C
JBL XPL90 rear
JBL 708P (front height; previously JBL 4319)
Pioneer SP-T22A-LR Dolby Atmos Upfiring (rear)
JL Audio F110
Velodyne Digital Drive 10

I've put the MX-A5000 head to head against the Monoprice 8125X and the MX-A5000 outmeasured it. The nice thing about the MX-A5000 is the convenience of having one box and lots of amplification. The switch to the JBL 708P as front height is new. I previously used the JBL 4319. The biggest weakness is that my center channel is below the TV. Utilizing Front Heights and the Yamaha processor allows me to generate a better phantom center. The bass could be deeper, but it's appropriate for this home. I've previously owned 15" Revel subs.

2-ch headphone system
Sony TA-ZH1ES
Sennheiser HD820
Sony MDR-CD900ST
Sony MDR-7506 (Samarium Cobalt)

The HD820’s spatial effects are spectacular and it’s the go to for classical music. I know it doesn’t measure well but I suspect my ears happen to match the design of the HD820. The weakness of the HD820 is that spectacular recordings sound spectacular while average recordings or poor recordings don’t sound great.

The Sony MDR-CD900ST is something I really enjoy even though it lacks the resolution of the HD820. As an example of how different ears hear differently, this has more subjective bass than the HD820 no matter how I play with the ear cups. The CD900ST never generates a spine tingling “wow” like the other two, but its consistency is exceptional.

The Sony MDR-7506 comes in multiple versions include a change from samarium cobalt to neodymium. Mine is the original Made in Japan, samarium cobalt. The ear pads had deteriorated so I am using Beyerdynamic pads. It’s a great headphone for video conference calls. The treble is bright, but in line with the circle of confusion, some music just sounds spectacular on this such as in many Celine Dion recordings.

Both of the Sony’s feel like I am listening to headphones. I can concentrate and sense that I am hearing the speakers. The Sennheiser’s are more Bose 901 like in that you cannot identify the speaker.

2-ch Reference (office system):
Onkyo Takamine D-TK10 or JBL 4319
Marantz PM-10
Marantz SA-10
WiiM Pro
Linn LP12/Ittok LVII/Monster Cable Sigma MC2000

Does it wow? Yes. It doesn’t have as much bass as JBL 708P but when the room is quiet, I can hear the noise from the JBL708P’s compression driver. In line with audiophile hand waving the speaker is very small so there is likely very little diffraction. The Takamine cabinet is used by Kiso Acoustic currently in their >$10,000 speakers. I like to joke that these speakers are why Onkyo went out of business. They spent a silly amount of money developing these. The JBL 4319 is better at controlling IMD. Interestingly, it was fine in my home theater room and I got it to measure flat to the listening position, but in this room, the treble is elevated like Amir's predicted in-room response for this speaker.

One of the nicest things about the Marantz reference line is how luxurious the remote control feels. I have tried to figure out is why I like these Marantz electronics so much when the measurements may not be as good as other gear. I have spent time running PKMetric’s and comparing it against Topping flagships. I can ABX differences in recordings and see differences in PK Metric, etc. Except for bass heavy content, I have yet to find anything that I enjoy as consistently. My main regret is that I probably should have gotten a Trinnov Amethyst or Altitude instead of this system. Depreciation sucks. But

2-channel WOW system
I’m not worried about losing my audiophile credentials and I have always enjoyed tried unusual combinations of gear. Right now, as I have been writing this post, I am listening to a crazy combo and *loving it.* This is the system I'm going to show off to people.

Rapahelite CS30-MKII (the 22 dB SINAD 300B SET amp)
Bose 901 Series VI with proper EQ
Korg DS-DAC-10R

It sounds better than it has any right to.

I decided to do a quick REW sweep in-room so that I don't completely lose my ASR credentials. Note the SPL scale on the left which will make the frequency response look flatter. I did this to allow you to see the distortion levels.
1683354535859.png

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
This ‘upgrade’ wowed me big time last year.

Current system:

Sony Bravia TV with Spotify Connect
Behringer DEQ2496 digital in and out
AVI ADM9.1 active speaker system

It makes me wonder what I would get with speakers that are more text book to begin with.

But it’s more curiosity rather than a severe upgrade itch as I’m very happy with my system as it is now.

Geert

Major Contributor
What about you and your system?

Cabasse Murano speakers, Cambridge Edge A amplifier, a NUC as mediaplayer with CamillaDSP for DRC, and a book "Sound Reproduction: The Acoustics and Psychoacoustics of Loudspeakers and Rooms". Just lean and mean.

I grew up with the noise and distortion of cassette decks, and I could never have imagined the sound quality of my current system would once be obtainable at home. Maybe I'm traumatised, but it still amazes me each time I use it.

I'm not married to my system. With other components I probably would also get good results, fine tuned to my liking via DSP. Although I am a fan of the imaging of coaxial speakers, acknowledging there's a subjective aspect to that idea.

No plans to upgrade. My attention goes to finding well recorded music I enjoy. For me that's a far bigger challenge than putting together a nice sounding HiFi system.

Waxx

Major Contributor
Most of my system is diy or at least heavy modified, but the commercial sold stuff i have is mostly well studied before i buy it and stays here.

I got a few different type of amps that i bought (as amps is not what i can design build myself), going from a Prima Luna Prologue 4 tube amp (all I need for tube amps actually) and a pair of Pass ACA's (Class A transistor) over an exellent old Marantz PM5004 (class AB transistor) to a Audiophonics NC252MP amplifier (NCore class D). So all type of systems are covered, i just need more amps to go active on some systems.

My preamp section is still the weak point. Now i use a heavy modified cheap chinese tube preamp , but i would like to have a more clean option also, and a dsp option (a minidsp flex is on my to buy list, but it has been an expensive year so saving more money is a must before i spend).

My dac's (Cambridge DacMagic and Steinberg UR22 MKII) could also be upgraded as all are rather old, but that is not urgent, as they are high quality (even for old ones).

Turntable system is good enough (mintt Technics SL1500 MKI turntable with AT-VM95E/N cell and Cambridge CP2 phono stage) and my computer streamer with JRiver also don't need nothing changed neighter altough the computer is getting old. But it still can last for a few years i think before i have to replace it.

So basicly just a good clean preamp, a dsp and a few amps (probally clean class D) are the only things where i could improve for my wishes. But at the end, nothing is urgent or in that bad quality I really have to do it, it's just that i could do it and somethings think about it. But i'm an overthinker anyway, so buying stuff don't happen often, and i also like to use things untill they are broken beyond repair.

Speakers is an other story, i like designing and building speakers, so there is always something going on i'm affraid.... Not that i lack speakers (i sold and donated a few pairs last year actually), but it's my hobby to build and design, so... And the speakers that are sold commercially that i like are all out of my budget anyway. A pair of Neumann KH420's or JBL 4367's would be nice, but the prices they cost not.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
My headphone rig (Laptop -->Topping E30 dac -->Topping L30II amp-->Hifiman HE400i phones) absolutely blows me away pretty much every time I listen to it. When I listen to it there is just a complete feeling like nothing about the gear is getting in the way of the recording. It's wide open and totally composed.

My speaker system (Laptop-->Topping D10 dac-->Yamaha R-S202bl amp-->Elac DBR62 speakers) sounds great, but my enjoyment of it is limited by the fact that I'm an apartment dweller and just can't run it up to the sort of volume I'd want to really blow me away and also by the fact that the room is pretty bad acoustically I feel.

I have no desire nor need to change anything about either setup (although I do have some yoga blocks on order to get the Elacs up another 4" as they are sitting a tad low where I have them). I do look forward to the day I'm not limited by my living circumstances though.

Last edited:

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Since you asked...
My system seems to wow me on a daily basis, at times. It brings continuously a WIDE-grin on my face...

I have written somewhere in ASR about my 50 years + audiophile journey. It started a little before I was a teen. I have spent a long time in the High End Audio sector and was a fervent subjective. As such, I also spent serious amount of money, chasing the elusive "Absolute Sound"... I have gone through numerous systems, some of these with cable looms (Interconnects, Speaker cables, etc) well over $5K :facepalm:. I also held dear DAC, preamplifiers, Amplifiers, phono cartridges, Headphones that hovered well above $3K each. Not total for the system, It needs to be clear: each components would be around or sometimes above $3k. Not too long ago I had my sight set on a pair of used speakers for around $20K then (Magico Q3), and was thinking driving with a <$10K amp...:facepalm:. My rationalization for such expanses, was that they brought me more pleasure than driving a car...

I have had what many would call "good" Audio systems through the years. Yet, I was never satisfied. I have heard and experienced (not owned) Audio systems costing more than $500,000... Some of these were "good" , many (most?) were ... meh.

Then I was invited to ASR.. then, I learned that there was a Science to Audio reproduction; then around 2017, I set to build a system to "test" the ASR tenets.. then.. I now possessed my best system in those 50 years and, yes, one of the best I have heard so far. Subjective I know but...

I listen to music on 2-Channel , lately I have ventured in the Apple Music Atmos thing... It is more than a fad, there is something to M-CH, but 98% of my music listening remains in 2-Channel.

This is a repeat of things that I have posted here. Those who have read it , bear with me but.. here I go.
My 2-Channel cost $2500.oo, It is full range and in the small concrete room (3 x 5 x 2.8 meters), it is located, can reach over 110 dB at the MLP.
It is composed of:
Denon AVR-X3400H
2 x JBL LSR 308
2 x Dayton Audio SUB-1500
miniDSP 2x4HD.
Audyssey MutEQ-X PC software.

That's it. Heaven. For me. Renewed, daily. I listen to, at least, 2 hours of music every day on it.

System also does movies, then you would add:
BenQ HT 2050A
e-Bay acquired-for-a-song Stewart Screen (real price should have been close to $3k even on eBay but , sometimes luck strikes)
1 x JBL LSR 308 for center channel
2 X JBL SLR 305 for surround
2 x JBL 104 for Atmos...
About $2000.oo for all of the above.. perhaps less, I am not longer counting :p... Full range, perhaps could hit the proverbial "Reference" in my small man-cave, darkened and painted dark room. Don't listen that loud., It is plenty loud for me, often too much ..

Headphones systems. I have two. One of these is arguably SOTA. Cost me around $800.oo (I am talking USA pricing):
HifiMan HE6SE
Topping D10 Balanced
Drop THX 789 AAA
Raspberry Pi with Volumio (for streaming and EQ)
HEAVEN... I don't see myself moving from this system. It is that good. ENDGAME.

The other is the portable one, and , people! I am in amazement, every time I listen to it. Cost me $60.00 , YES, Sixty US Dollars.
TRUTHEAR Crinnacle Zero aka TCZ, IEM
Apple ADC/DAC dongle.
Done.
Again Heaven. SOTA.. "Almost", with no EQ. I am waiting for a Qudelix 5K...

Where do I go from there?
Headphones is endgame... No need for anything more...

Audio?

I know the limitations of my system. In the short term (end of this month) , I will acquire an additional, more potent sub. SVS PB 2000 or HSU/Monoprice/Ryhtmik equivalent. The others sub remain in the system; thus, 3 subwoofers in the short term.
In the long term: Better LCR speakers. Perhaps Endgame LCR.
Thing is. The speakers I am looking at cost more each than the current 2-channel system... As for endgame, cash outlay will be substantial. I have become kind of a cheapstake, thanks to ASR...

HT... I am waiting patiently for a >88 inches OLED or equivalent to replace my current 100 inches screen/PJ ( thought, it was 120 inches but re-measured and...), There was a 98 inches HiSense or TCL around $5000.oo for a while.. I tend to prefer the objective performances of LG ( have 55 inches OLED, a reference to me) or Samsung .. Prices are due to fall.. So biding my time...

In conclusion. When the components are chosen according to Science, one can obtain excellent objective and subjective results for reasonable (subjective) amount of money. I have come to consider an AVR with Pre out plus Audyssey MultEQ-X Software ass the anchor of a good system. There are perhaps, better alternatives. None cost less than $5,000.oo. e.g. Monoprice HTP-1, this is a pre/pro, so amplifiers would be needed unless all speakers are active... We have been led to believe in separates. For most people and most rooms, an AVR is the better, most economical and most rewarding proposition.

Peace.

Last edited:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I would replace the bluesound node.
Get Roon (software) , roon core (a nice nuc) and HQPlayer with a raspberry pi 4 for NAA.

That's at least where I would look to upgrade with already impressive hardware like you own.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
I've been doing the audio hobby for 60 years now with occasionally high material turnover and have a corresponding wealth of experience, which I've also shared with other audio friends at meetings and invitations.

High-end can no longer inspire me at all today. I look at things rather soberly at the moment, and also no longer consider it necessary to spend a lot of money on hi-fi audio. The only extravagance are my self-built tube amplifiers, which reflect my latest design ideas.

Wow and amazement? It's basically all about the music - and that everything works well.
There are always little things to do. Right now, a key on my wife's piano isn't smooth in the stroke, so I'm going to fix that.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
yes I do get the 'wow' moments but it was not always so, quite a long road if you don't know what you are doing.

All types of music (maybe not classical as I don't listen to that) and even the very occasional flawed or primitive recording gets made sense of. Showcase productions turn out amazingly well. Sometimes I find it hard to believe how well it sounds. Just been listening to Zappa doing 'Whipping Post' and it sounds pretty much flawless to me.

I use an Audiolab 6000CDT transport, Topping E30 DAC, Philips 280 preamp, Krell KSA50S power amp and JM Lab Focal Electra 926 (reasonably large 3 way).

The room is good and has some treatment. I bought the house for the room acoustics.

None of it was silly money (amplification, speakers and house bought used quite cheap). I do get about to shows and meets, and rarely hear anything comprehensively better.

Ideally I'd like deeper bass and have thought about adding subs with mini dsp unit for correction but the fact that I can't be bothered to do it shows I must be fairly satisfied.

LouB

Very modest compared to most but,
My system does wow me, very basic, very simple 2 channel. But want to upgrade speakers to JBL L100 classics. The bass without a sub is pretty darn good & the overall sound is very very good & puts a smile on my face even the turntable sounds really good. Reason for speaker upgrade is I think I'll get better bass and overall sound but on the fence if spending the 4K will really improve that much & make me glad I bought em.
Marantz Model 40 (it replaced a Marantz PM8006)
Marantz CD 6006
Yamaha streamer
Rega turntable
Paradigm Special Editions

Top Bottom