• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

• Total voters

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I'm pretty happy with mine right now.

There are no anticipated changes necessary.

I have a bit of a hole at 46.6Hz, but if I hadn't measured it I would never have guessed it was there. So, I'm thinking about moving the Cheezewoofer Wattless Subs from their stereo-pair position alongside the mains, but I've been thinking about that for a long time.

I do plan to return to a bi-wire configuration for the speakers, just because I can, not due to any known deficiency. Another thing that I've been thinking about, and yes, for a long time.

So, I'll start things off with a Yes vote, and see if this benign topic invokes any interest at all among the crew here.

Don't get yourself banned, reply at your own risk.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
Canada West Coast/Vancouver Island/Victoria area
I couldn't vote; my option ain't there...Yes and No.

fas42

Major Contributor
Current setup of NAD and cheap Sharp speakers are in the (very slow!) process of being 'fixed' - currently does some things pretty well, but needs volume control :eek: o_O, better interference suppression, and probably power supply mods to be able to punch out high SPL stuff, and the speaker carcases to be better sorted to handle high volume driving ...

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I couldn't vote; my option ain't there...Yes and No.

That's why I have ingeniously included Yes, but... and No, but... candidates, depending on which side of Ok you judge it to be.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I need to fix or replace my Oppo to get SACD playback capability again but my biggest problem is not the system but the room -- I want a bigger one!

My main speakers are nearly 28 years old and are likely to be replaced before too much longer. The rest are fairly new (6 years except about 1 year for my last pair of subs). I also plan to replace the TV with a slightly larger (65") one but don't have real cause since the old one (52") still works fine.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Room is my issue too, I want deep bass that's nice and smooth...

I need to get medieval on the partition in my L shaped room...

Not sure if using balanced power is that great as I fear it's messing with the overall gain of my system. But that's easy to remedy, just got to take a trip up the loff, disconnect the tx and listen for a few weeks without it.

iridium

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes.

iridium.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Voted OK but it's more a "time will tell" situation.
Just got in the final few pieces to the puzzle and plugged the thing together tonight.
Now have a Marantz AV 7701 pre/pro at the head with 3 or 4 Adcom amps handing the power end.
Over the next few days I'll spend some time with Audyssey seeing how well that will balance the system.
There's always been a spot in the upper/mid bass that I'm really not happy with. If Audyssey doesn't correct it
I'll move on to some DSP with something like a miniDSP box.
If after all that I still can't correct trouble spots I may have to look at some new speakers. :(

All this tweeky shit only concerns music playback, for movies the speaker system has always been a monster
that I was totally satisfied with. Tonight I ran Star Wars - The Force Awakens on the new stack just out of
curiosity. OMG, all that power into my satellites, plus the dual subwoofers, the dynamics are so completely
effortless, totally off the charts in this small space. It will be interesting what Audyssey can bring to the plate
later on. :)

NorthSky

Major Contributor
That's why I have ingeniously included Yes, but... and No, but... candidates, depending on which side of Ok you judge it to be.

Right split in the middle. :)

I'd say no Ray, because I simply don't have the ingredients for the type of state-of-the-art audio hi-fi system I would love to be lost in.
And the only reason that I'd say yes is because I love music enough to get lost in.

Phelonious Ponk

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Current setup of NAD and cheap Sharp speakers are in the (very slow!) process of being 'fixed' - currently does some things pretty well, but needs volume control :eek: o_O, better interference suppression, and probably power supply mods to be able to punch out high SPL stuff, and the speaker carcases to be better sorted to handle high volume driving ...

So what are you doing to them?

Tim

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I would be great if our members would post at least some basic info on their systems components.
There's the Information page of our profiles that is perfect for it.
Gives us an idea of what our friends are listening on and their preferences.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I would be great if our members would post at least some basic info on their systems components.
There's the Information page of our profiles that is perfect for it.
Gives us an idea of what our friends are listening on and their preferences.
I get what your saying, i think our expression of ones philosophy and most enjoyed music is more relevant, along with the obvious inferences we give away when communicating ... i feel i kind of know where most of you stand.for Those with diy kit or highly modified kit it would be cool to see inside and read about the hows and whys of your setups.

NorthSky

Major Contributor
I get what your saying, i think our expression of ones philosophy and most enjoyed music is more relevant, along with the obvious inferences we give away when communicating ... i feel i kind of know where most of you stand.for Those with diy kit or highly modified kit it would be cool to see inside and read about the hows and whys of your setups.

Start a thread Thomas with all the guts of your system...the solder joints, the metals used, the DACs, the filters, the caps, the resistors, the transistors, their values, the transformers, the windings, the wiring, the cables, the power chords, the oscillating master clock, the motors, the crossovers, the drivers, the voice coils, the braces, the connectors, .... open them all (top covers) and put a camera with zoom and macro functions showing all the parts serial numbers and brands. Same with the speakers...remove the drivers, put the camera inside.
Then others might follow, if they want to, and be open to all comments.
It's only material audio electronics pieces that makes our music playing to our ears. There is no emotions in the gear, but on what it delivers @ the end of the music recordings we love to listen to.

From modest gear for the masses to the exquisitely custom build exotic and extra engineering using only premium parts.
From frugal to boutique.
From inexpensive to ultra expensive.

Yeah, a thread where people who wants to reveal it all for all to see, a thread for people who are proud, for people who want to share all the guts of their electronics.
It should be fun and educational...and free. I remember one member who was an ace @ that.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I am more interested in sharing music and our own audio related intellectual musings than the gear we use.. Unless it's 'home made', then it's more likely to be communicative on a rewarding level.

Mine is more off the shelf... Who wants to hear about my TAD D1000 ? Let alone the quantum chips I have on all the caps in my system:D

So my system is not that interesting.... You all know what I use anyway, if you read the forum.

fas42

Major Contributor
Top Bottom