• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

What do you recommend changing in my audio system?

Adriano

Audio.jpg
Hi, I have no experience, but I have good ears. ;) I use the sound system to watch my documentaries. I do the video editing myself and there is a narrative voice in all of them. My audio system includes 2 tweeters, a central speaker (for vocals), a subwoofer and 2 rear speakers (which cannot be seen in the photo). I've marked with arrows the speakers I'm using and the Onkyo amplifier. My Bose audio system is 20 years old but I replaced the central speaker about 10 years ago and it cost me 100 euros. Unfortunately when I listen to my documentaries, the voice is not good. Yet if I listen to it with 2 cheap studio speakers, I hear an excellent voice because it is recorded with a mic. professional and by a professional speaker. I had thought about removing ONLY the central speaker and buying two studio speakers and leaving everything else unchanged. What do you think. Maybe I said something rubbish, but I'm only interested in hearing a good voice mixed with background music, but with this system I don't hear it well. But I'm satisfied with the music that comes out. What do you recommend me to do? I have a limited budget. Thanks for some info.

staticV3

Master Contributor
What is your budget and what country are you in?

OP
A

Adriano

My budget is low, it is around 100 euro, I live in Italy.

staticV3

Master Contributor
What I'd do:
-get rid of the Bose tweeter things
-cover the stone floor with a thick carpet
-buy some bookshelf speakers or studio monitors and put them on floor stands to get the tweeters to ear height. Alternatively, buy some floorstanders (no stand required).
-arrange them in a symmetrical triangle (same distance from TV center)

RosalieTheDog

What I'd do:
-get rid of the Bose tweeter things
-cover the stone floor with a thick carpet
-buy some bookshelf speakers or studio monitors and put them on floor stands to get the tweeters to ear height. Alternatively, buy some floorstanders (no stand required).
-arrange them in a symmetrical triangle (same distance from TV center)
I agree.
I think the spot where the angel stands could be perfect for the left speaker, just needs something to bring the right speaker to the same height on the other side of the TV.

As for recommended bookshelves of €100, I am not sure what to recommend. Hopefully others can chime in. It might be worth checking the Europe Master Deals thread (https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s-thread-on-audio-product-sales.23706/page-76) if some deal pops up for some Polk, Wharfedale, QAcoustics or other brands with budget offerings.

Willem

Major Contributor
I like the Wharfedale Diamond 220s, and I recently bought a pair for 125 euros. I don't think it gets any better at this price. Bass is not very extended, but what there is is clean.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
[..] My Bose audio system is 20 years old but I replaced the central speaker about 10 years ago and it cost me 100 euros. Unfortunately when I listen to my documentaries, the voice is not good. Yet if I listen to it with 2 cheap studio speakers, I hear an excellent voice because it is recorded with a mic. professional and by a professional speaker.
Then get those cheap studio speakers to replace the front L+R speakers, and if budget allows a 3rd one replace the center as well. If budget allows only one studio speaker let it replace the center.

OP
A

Adriano

I meant 100 euro for one speaker.... but I'm rethinking my budget and I can reach 250 euros, but only if I'm sure I'm improving my audio system. But I don't think it will be easy. I noticed Elac Debut b5.2, but I don't know how add them to my system. In documentaries the narrator voice is important. I don't know if it is better to buy 2 speaker or replace my central JBL speaker. I don't remember well but I think I purchased it 7-8 yeas ago with around 100 euro.

Last edited:
OP
A

Adriano

Today I did various tests and I noticed that I hear the best narrative voice when I choose the AllCH Stereo option on my Onkyo. But at this point the voice in the central speaker goes to hell, because I hear everything mixed voice and music in all the speakers. Maybe I'll leave everything like this, because it satisfies me enough, or I'll buy 2 Elac Debut b5.2, hoping that with this AllCH Stereo option I can listen to everything even better. What do you think?

OP
A

Adriano

But you already know that I cannot move the central speaker which is positioned too low. So it wouldn't make too much sense to buy new equipment. Perhaps the most convenient thing is to buy 2 Elac Debut b5.2 and remove 2 tweetes. Is it OK?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Sorry, I'm going to be blunt. You do not have the right gear to do audio editing, or even critical monitoring. Your budget is not sufficient to fix this.

Unless you can significantly change the layout and increase your budget, you are doomed to keep not getting to the right solution.

In your situation, I'd do everything with headphones. Your budget is sufficient for good entry-level IEMs. Alternatively, you might be able to pick up a secondhand bargain, but that depends on luck.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Perhaps the most convenient thing is to buy 2 Elac Debut b5.2 and remove 2 tweetes. Is it OK?
The Elac B5.2 is ok, however, the B6.2 and BX8 D3 cost the same, but are better.
You'd have to order from Germany though (worth it, IMO :))

Don't forget about the carpet and speaker stands though!

escape2

Addicted to Fun and Learning
With limited space and limited budget, I would get rid of the center channel and the bose speakers and just use two higher quality L/R speakers in a stereo setup. If you can position them in a way that you sit right in between them, they will mimic a center channel very well.

OP
A

Adriano

I will do it, I will buy 2 ELAC L/R speakers, but ... out of curiosity: if I use also the central speaker, what can happen?

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Bite the bullet, sell everything, start again.

I do mean sell everything - you have a lot of boxes and I'm not convinced that you need them.

I think you have two requirements: work, and listening to music. You have a limited budget, which is fine.

What's your Amp? Perhaps don't sell that, it may be ok.

For work, for critical listening - just use headphones. Way better than any speakers at your budget.

Then, I think, simplify your music system - 2 speakers, no centre.

OP
A

Adriano

Bite the bullet, sell everything, start again.

I do mean sell everything - you have a lot of boxes and I'm not convinced that you need them.

I think you have two requirements: work, and listening to music. You have a limited budget, which is fine.

What's your Amp? Perhaps don't sell that, it may be ok.

For work, for critical listening - just use headphones. Way better than any speakers at your budget.

Then, I think, simplify your music system - 2 speakers, no centre.
Sorry, but I think you didn't read my first post properly and you didn't understand. I don't care about music at all.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
I doubt you video edit in souround, so: sell everything but the TV, get rid of that rack...leave only the one below the TV. buy a pair of Adam T5V or Adam T7V. set them up in a perfect triangle at ear height. done

Top Bottom