• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Benchmark AHB2 mono-blocks > Sell one and buy Bicycle?

bargainguy

Right now, the bicycle market is oversaturated with supply from pandemic whiplash.

Three years ago, bicycles were like toilet paper, the next thing you couldn't get.

Today, the situation is completely reversed. Bike shops have years of unsold inventory. This pushes the new and used markets way down.

Good news for you - deals abound!

I picked up an Argon 18 Krypton (2012) road bike a few weeks ago for $675 USD. Carbon frame, carbon wheelset (Bontrager Aeolus 5).

If I tried to purchase this bike during the pandemic - $3-4K.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You can get the same level of exercise from a $100 WalMart bike as a $10k racer.
Don't sell the AHB2 for a bike, save your pennies to get the nicest one you can accept.
At 100 wpc the AHB isn't exactly a power monster, granted being a SOTA performer.
I believe your Revel's make good use of the bridged amps and wouldn't get rid of one.
JMHO
Cheers
Friends don't let friends ride Walmart $100 bikes. Lucky if the brakes are very functional or if assembled properly.

ps might be more exercise on the Walmart since it'll weigh twice as much or more....

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Friends don't let friends ride Walmart $100 bikes. Lucky if the brakes are very functional or if assembled properly.
Would you trust a WalMart employee to assemble you bike? o_O LOL

Also the OP does show worry over street riding in traffic. Unless there are available safe bike paths, etc
maybe an indoor exercise bike would be more appropriate, I've ridden motorcycles all my life but watched
many enter the sport only to leave shortly after due to being stressed in the environment ???

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Would you trust a WalMart employee to assemble you bike? o_O LOL

Also the OP does show worry over street riding in traffic. Unless there are available safe bike paths, etc
maybe an indoor exercise bike would be more appropriate, I've ridden motorcycles all my life but watched
many enter the sport only to leave shortly after due to being stressed in the environment ???

I would never buy anything at Walmart at all, but least of all a bike at a store like that (or Costco or department stores etc). Much rather support my local bike shop. I know how to build a bike, or even go thru a POS bike someone bought at stores like that....but why?

I stopped riding my motorcycle in San Francisco after a few close calls, but prefer dirt anyways. Dirt is a hell of a lot softer than asphalt (mostly :) ).

OP
Martini

Martini

Forum Donor
You can get the same level of exercise from a $100 WalMart bike as a $10k racer.
Don't sell the AHB2 for a bike, save your pennies to get the nicest one you can accept.
At 100 wpc the AHB isn't exactly a power monster, granted being a SOTA performer.
I believe your Revel's make good use of the bridged amps and wouldn't get rid of one.
JMHO
Cheers
Thanks, for the input. while the F328be are efficient, its' impedance remains in the 4-ohm range over a broad area. I think Revel's 8-ohm nominal is a little optimistic. I still have some conditioning to do before I make the final decision on a bike. So time to think about things.

I already picked up an exercise bike, that's the thing getting me re-interested in cycling. It wasn't a Walmart special though, around the $1k mark with new pedals & saddle.

Last edited:

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
A couple of cycling YouTube channels that might interest you:

As with most things, the value for money, and performance benefits, drop off significantly when you get to the more expensive components. I bought my bike as a frameset and built it up with mostly Shimano 105 components, and I've been very happy with it, it all works very nicely. Moving up to Ultegra, or Dura Ace, or the SRAM equivalents, would save a bit of weight, but I doubt I'd notice much.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
A couple of cycling YouTube channels that might interest you:

As with most things, the value for money, and performance benefits, drop off significantly when you get to the more expensive components. I bought my bike as a frameset and built it up with mostly Shimano 105 components, and I've been very happy with it, it all works very nicely. Moving up to Ultegra, or Dura Ace, or the SRAM equivalents, would save a bit of weight, but I doubt I'd notice much.
Yes GCN is a great channel. Quite objective and critical about some of the industry’s quirks and entertaining on top.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think when the items are so dissimilar the sale of one and purchase of another should be independent decisions not done on the basis of how am I going to fund a purchase.

Platypus20

Forum Donor
I didn’t read where he tried the speakers with the one amp, if it does not work, isn’t the sale of the other, off ?? Reread the thread, he did try it.

edwardshardy

The market for bicycles has experienced a significant shift in recent years due to pandemic-induced fluctuations in demand and supply. What was once a scarce commodity akin to toilet paper during the initial phases of the pandemic has now become an oversaturated market with surplus inventory. This has led to a downturn in both the new and used bicycle markets, resulting in abundant opportunities for buyers to find great deals. Considering this scenario, selling one of the Benchmark AHB2 mono-blocks to fund the purchase of a bicycle seems timely and advantageous. However, it's crucial to also consider other factors such as personal preferences, usage frequency, and long-term value. For instance, instead of selling the mono-blocks outright, exploring options like temporary rentals or part-exchange deals might provide a balanced approach to satisfy both the desire for a new experience, like playing Traffic Rider for iOS, and the retention of valuable audio equipment.

edwardshardy

Bicycle demand has changed significantly in recent years as a result of supply and demand variations brought on by pandemics. In the early stages of the pandemic, toilet paper was a rare item. Today, the market is oversaturated with excess product. This has caused a decline in the markets for both new and secondhand bicycles, giving consumers lots of chances to score excellent bargains. In light of this situation, it would appear prudent and opportune to sell one of the Benchmark AHB2 mono-blocks in order to pay for the bicycle. It's imperative to take into account additional elements including usage frequency, long-term value, and personal preferences. For example, rather of selling the mono-blocks completely, looking into solutions like short-term rentals or part-exchange agreements could offer a fair way to meet the needs of both parties—such as the need for something new, like playing Traffic Rider on iOS—and preserve priceless audio gear.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Objectively, it makes sense to sell one of the Benchmarks.
We're not objective creatures though, and there will always be that nagging thought if you let one go.

It's the same with cycling (I'm into MTB, not road so I'd also lean towards a cyclocross bike - I think that's what you call a 'gravel' bike - purely my preference though so I'd ignore that!).
There's a point where diminishing returns kick in with bikes as with amplifiers: good enough is pretty amazing, and better is much more expensive (much). Be careful that you are not throwing cash at a few extra SINAD points, or the cycling equivalent.

I'd be tempted to keep the Benchmark and try out a few good but not great bikes - see what fits you, see how they feel. Get fit and roadsmart on a good one before you think about upgrading.

Top Bottom