• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

Are you satisfied with your home Audio System?

• Total voters

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Ejecting into the vacuum of space in fact, least we infect another planet with our mindless violent squabbling.
Then how would we efficiently control overpopulation? :cool:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
While reviewing the recent RMAF 2016 postings, despite the best efforts of the vendors, and with thanks to Amir for posting the pictures and his impressions on some, I found that I am still satisfied with what I have.

That is why Amir wasn't in charge of marketing at MS. :)

Cosmik

Major Contributor
I was listening to my system the other night (classical recordings of a composer called Panufnik) and thinking how it actually sounded like I was at a concert - I really think I experienced a performance as though I was there. Then later I played some electro based music and thought how it sounded as though I was in a night club.

I like to play music at 'realistic' volume and I find that a 16/44.1 digital source, two three-way speakers with 8" sealed woofers, active DSP crossovers and a beefy multichannel amplifier are easily up to the task. IMO, the setting up of the crossovers and EQ should be done with 'minimal intervention' to get a valid setup of the source in terms of frequency response and time domain, without much fussing over the interaction with the room.

Anyway, the result is 'real music'. It is so good, so rich, that all thoughts of 'upgrading' go out of the window. If you are getting a thoroughly authentic, visceral experience from your system, why would it even enter your head to go through the palaver of fiddling about with stuff? And if you are an observant type you will also be wary of the mental traps that await those who become obsessed with the exact type of sand they pour into their speaker stand supports etc.

I can't say I'll never change my system in future, but if I do change it, it will not be on the grounds of the sound. It could be to do with the looks of it, or the size, or the convenience factor, and being a DIY type there is always a desire to make things. However, I am happy that the 'Kii Three' formula is the ultimate solution for the sound itself, and that it is easily reproducible and scalable.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
The Kiis and Beolabs are capable of things that other speakers simply can't manage , I believe they are the future.
Keith

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Eight month bump...

Maybe some new folks haven't voted...

upload_2017-7-9_20-33-59.png

D

Deleted member 65

Yes, but my integrated amp trips when playing partylevels. Can only play up to ~12 - 1 o'clock on the dial. According to my speaker designer Dr Roland Gauder "any amp will trip before my speakers do". Wondering what that statement means in technical terms i.e. how is this accomplished in his filter designs?

Amp should have sufficient power, 36A cont & 150A peak.

A.wayne

Yes, but my integrated amp trips when playing partylevels. Can only play up to ~12 - 1 o'clock on the dial. According to my speaker designer Dr Roland Gauder "any amp will trip before my speakers do". Wondering what that statement means in technical terms i.e. how is this accomplished in his filter designs?

Amp should have sufficient power, 36A cont & 150A peak.

What amp are you using ....??

A.wayne

Back on audio for a second, member Pano on diyAudio - someone who "gets" what I'm on about ;) - some of it, anyway :D, posted some interesting thoughts recently ... http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/lounge/292393-digital-audio-stress-16.html#post4803715.

Pano is great , just enuff objective and subjective analysis without the typical internet Nazi type dogma ..

Thanks for the link , now on to address the dry sounding flat soundscape typical of most digital playback ..

Regards

A.wayne

Do you have an actual impedance mag/phase measurement on the speakers , I'm assuming low sensitivity ( hence low z's) with big phase angles....

The usual culprits to under hestsinked amplifiers.... that Norma looks like a well built unit ..

Regards

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Pano is great , just enuff objective and subjective analysis without the typical internet Nazi type dogma ..
He identifies the correct problem. That is, what people think is the "problem" with digital is that it maintains all the high frequencies that is in the source and that can be grating to ears. That is just what a high fidelity system is supposed to do but folks will opt for different sources that roll that off for a solution.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
He identifies the correct problem. That is, what people think is the "problem" with digital is that it maintains all the high frequencies that is in the source and that can be grating to ears. That is just what a high fidelity system is supposed to do but folks will opt for different sources that roll that off for a solution.
They just need to turn down the Treble control or push the High Cut button to find analog nirvana. :)

OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Yes, but my integrated amp trips when playing partylevels.

The Arcona 100 says 86dB @2W sensitivity

upload_2017-7-15_16-41-56.png

86db = 2W
96dB = 20W
106dB = 200W - That (peak SPL, anyway) is party level here...

Amp specs:

upload_2017-7-15_16-44-42.png

Close to the edge?

Do they get hot?

---

My little amps claim 700W/4Ohm. I have seen 140F/60C on the (exposed) heat sinks

They've never shut down playing music.

Loudish - roughly equivalent to levels on CD - right now, vocal and piano, Akiko Yano, via Amazon streaming, cuts off at 17kHz.

upload_2017-7-15_17-8-4.png

upload_2017-7-15_17-10-5.png

Right now 128F/53.3C on the heat sinks, 80F/26.6C ambient.

Last edited:
OP
RayDunzl

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Can only play up to ~12 - 1 o'clock on the dial.

34dB gain on the amp is kinda high.

Mine have 26dB gain.

Now playing at 74 (out of 151) on the dial. What o'clock would that be?

74/151 = .49 = about 11:45:03.6 o'clock.

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Arcona 100 says 86dB @2W sensitivity
It says 1 watt but that is usually measured at mid frequencies. For parties, what counts is the bass and I suspect its efficiency is much lower than that there.

fas42

Major Contributor

Thanks for the link , now on to address the dry sounding flat soundscape typical of most digital playback ..

Regards
Dry sounding, flat used to be rife - I noted in the last Sydney audio show that things have improved; there were at least half a dozen systems that got most of the key things right.

As Amir says, digital will deliver all the treble content - but it also can get that wrong, badly wrong. The solution used to be to throw away that treble in many high end rigs - of course, instant flatness; retaining the distorted treble doesn't work either - the smartest solution is to sort out the causes of that dodgy treble, and fix 'em. Voila, beautifully rich, full sound - still not happen' much of the time ...

There's a new audio show coming up in a week or two - should be interesting!! In particular, Kii will be there - a chance to kick the tyres ... :D

Top Bottom