• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Apple Announces Next-Generation M1 Pro and M1 Max Chips

Darwin

Two they got explicitly nailed for is the cold calling collusion with other Silicon Valley giants, and the well known e-Book price fixing.

You should have said that before making statements as if legality is the end-all be-all discussion with respect to when it's fine, and when it isn't to support a company through investments and such.. And not the thing you said prior.

Then there was no point in making your ownership apparent and then making a claim right after that what one ought do if they don't like a particular policy Apple may have.

The first sentence here is a throwaway. What are you trying to say, that people don't have the right? Even if they didn't have "the right", they will have an impact in dictating that future, in the same way any demand will have an impact on future supply trends of an offering. Second, in the US it's not clear cut, but it's becoming more clear cut when the latest ruling even from a bias judge now forces Apple to allow linking of secondary payment methods. And the earlier legal pressure that made Apple come down on lower earner apps by lowering their share to 15% instead of the usual 30%. Even though people have no "right" to dictate these things, this is what working from a legal and economic perspective allows by force. Which conveniently also addresses the witty post about what "Yogi Berra said". Individuals eventually make their own rights.

Wait, but you say we have no right to tell them what they should do? Seems you sympathize with forcing Apple to do something with their private property now? But it's not 100% certain (which is why I concluded my prior post with a question about what you would desire, and not so much the pointless discussion about current legal states of affairs).

Apple being forced to use USB-C is going to happen even without this incoming deliberation on the matter. They can't stay with Lightening forever, and have already made an idiotic product with this iPhone 13 Pro Max I got sitting here. Able to record ProRes footage (with 4K chewing up around 6GB of data per minute) but still stuck with the retarded USB2 transfer speeds of Lightening.. There's no about of libertarian meme'ing that one can posit that will override the need to get Apple off this idiotic interface.

Has an odd ring to it, since ecosystems are comprised of parts and entities involved that don't control an ecosystem, otherwise it wouldn't really be an ecosystem, if one could own and control all of it's aspects. It would simply be their property. Unless you want to posit all the vendors on an ecosystem belong to Apple as well, if they one day declared on-paper "if you sell in our ecosystem, we own you and your products".

The security arguments are the most hilariously pathetic meme argument in their arsenal. The fact one posits it's even "arguable" is silly enough (and goes without saying the ones that buy into the argument entirely, are a lost case if they still hold to such an idea in the year 2021 and the average technical literacy of this time period).

While sure you may not "like" that everything thinks they now have special rights, those people are making the claim that Apple behaves in a way where they assume THEY have special rights. Case and point being, all those things I mentioned prior (quelling repair industry, saying their hardware is part of the ecosystem, thus making it a proprietary product in it's entirety, dictating what people are allowed to do with devices they've purchased, decision making that forces everyone under their App Store to behave a certain way, etc..). Funnily enough, you believe in freedoms, but Apple behaves like a dictator. The meme argument of "if you don't like it, then leave" is about as silly as telling someone "if you don't like America, leave". So due to a preference, someone should upend their entire flow of life, when instead all consumers would benefit by having a single entity change their mode of operation.

So yeah, people thinking "they have special rights" makes complete sense when the ire of the many is at stake compared to the ire of a single company. No one is proposing changes that would kill them. With the reach they have in society, no one cares about supposed infringement on their "property". Corporations are idiotically treated like living beings in this country. If that isn't "special rights" that need to be abolished as much as possible, idk what is.

It is, isn't it.. In the same way Apple couldn't exist in totality, if we didn't have roads, or a relatively healthy society to sell their products to.

Sure, but most people aren't against this practice. They're against the choice deprivation (like a small example being now on my phone, I can't enable or disable HDR mode when taking pictures that I had in my prior phone). Are you going to buy Apple's argument it's their ecosystem, and due to security their decision to remove such an option is justified? Do you think I'm positing "special rights" for saying I should be given what I've already been provided before? Does my Apple Music have to be also hampered so hard on Windows machines? Etc..

You don't actually have to answer any of this, it's just food for thought. Though what I would hope to get an answer to, is the question I concluded my prior post with.

You should really quit while your are behind. Not to mention this is way off topic not that I’m helping that.

Darwin

Apple products are for people who want to change the world and can think differently. These are people who think outside the box and aren’t confused by the need for repairability.
Yes I realize the weak sarcasm. I’ll wait while you tell us about all the PC laptops and android phones that are “repairable”. The fact is nobody does this mostly because people want thin and light. By the way the new Macs make it much easier to change out the battery.

Darwin

It will never happen for the foreseeable future. Apple will use a SoC. that’s their USP and the reason of the high performance.
You won’t get that from PC’s Either. that ship has sailed a long time ago.
Was looking for the Macbook Pro in 14 inch. Not sure about the notch, but otherwise looks good with multiple ports. Of course the pricing was more over the top than I wanted.

I don’ notice the notch on my Max. I think it’s a lot of to do about nothing.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
You won’t get that from PC’s Either. that ship has sailed a long time ago.

I don’ notice the notch on my Max. I think it’s a lot of to do about nothing.
The notch is over the menu, which is almost always there. It doesn’t take extra space.

hyperplanar

Just got my hands on the 16" with M1 Pro, was very excited to finally retire my 2012 15" Retina MacBook Pro, which just hasn't been cutting it for anything more than light coding/web browsing/email for a couple years now. Very satisfied with the hardware—the build is great, it's basically the same size as my previous MacBook, and the weight increase is unnoticeable.

What is noticeable though, is the performance, even compared to my overclocked 6600k Hackintosh build. I spent a while installing all the plugins I use for Logic Pro, and opened some of my most intense projects up that were barely even playable on the Hackintosh—this laptop makes them feel like nothing and flies through basically anything I throw at it. Never got more than lukewarm on my lap and haven't been able to get the fans to become audible. Honestly, mine could be missing the fans and I wouldn't have a way of knowing. Presumably one could get the fans to spin up with a combined CPU/GPU load, but I'm very happy to see that the laptop will essentially never throttle for my workloads and sustain its CPU performance indefinitely with plenty of thermal headroom. The cooling system seems like complete overkill for the M1 Pro, as I suspect it's been sized for the M1 Max and its twice-as-large GPU.

The battery life and display are also fantastic. I don't mean battery life just doing light tasks—I can actually use Logic on my lap for many hours unplugged, which is huge for me. The display essentially looks like my LG C1 OLED TV in picture quality, albeit with worse response times (more smearing) and some blooming in a pitch black environment. The notch disappears completely in fullscreen mode, and I don't notice it on the desktop because it's in my peripheral vision and my brain tunes it out quickly. I like the new keyboard as well, typing on it reminds me of the Topre keyboard I used to have a few years ago, it's tactile but soft with a satisfying thock.

Finally, since this is ASR, the speakers are mindblowing for a laptop. Very balanced tonally, with a good sense of spaciousness, and if I had to guess, I'd estimate I'm hearing frequencies down to 80 Hz or so coming out of the speakers. I briefly tested the advertised impedance detection feature for the headphone jack with the HD800S, and it works as advertised. There is way more than enough volume headroom than I would ever need for them now, but I'll continue using my Babyface Pro to drive them because of the built-in EQ functionality there.

If anyone wants me to run any tests on the audio systems, let me know what you want to see and I'll try my best. :)

Last edited:

preload

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes I realize the weak sarcasm. I’ll wait while you tell us about all the PC laptops and android phones that are “repairable”. The fact is nobody does this mostly because people want thin and light. By the way the new Macs make it much easier to change out the battery.
PC laptops are pretty repairable actually. If you poked you head out of the Maclover forums once in a while, you'd probably discover that.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
perfect for a DAW and may be enough for video editing. 7k$ for a large config …
A bargain compared to the Xeon-W based 27" iMac Pro, or any other Xeon-W based alternative, IMO. Factor in a 32" XDR Apple Studio display (for only $5K, cough), so for a mere $12K you get a true SOTA desktop system. I'm still not stressing my two-year-old i7 Mac Mini, but I admit coveting the Mac Studio a bit. Not enough to buy one though.

elvisizer

PC laptops are pretty repairable actually. If you poked you head out of the Maclover forums once in a while, you'd probably discover that.
Mac laptops are pretty repairable too . . . by apple . . .if you consider MB swaps repairable lol.
Honestly this isn't that big a deal, Apple's HW reliability is among the best in the business. If you're worried, you buy AppleCare.
It's a non-issue unless you're making a point about ethics and whether or not apple should work better with INDEPENDENT repair shops. . . .

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
perfect for a DAW and may be enough for video editing. 7k$ for a large config …
Maybe? Are you real? It can run 18 streams at the same time!

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Way over priced. I remember the $5,000 Macintosh FX (junk) and the various Mac Pro models at $3000 each that are now worth less than $200. If you can't make extra money with this new M1 Max boat anchor, best to leave it for someone else to buy. Get a standard $500 to $1000 laptop and it will work fine for ANY personal computer need. :D

BostonJack

Editor
I'm psyched to hear this (general high performance). My macbookpro is getting pretty long in the tooth and I'll probably buy after a few months to save $$ and hear experiences from a broad audience.

My use model is mainly software dev on my own projects. Not too stressful, superior screen performance is something I'm sensitive to. And totally Microsoft adverse. Unix-like OS all the way.

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Mac laptops are pretty repairable too . . . by apple . . .if you consider MB swaps repairable lol.
Honestly this isn't that big a deal, Apple's HW reliability is among the best in the business. If you're worried, you buy AppleCare.
It's a non-issue unless you're making a point about ethics and whether or not apple should work better with INDEPENDENT repair shops. . . .

Apple laptops use to have a great repair record but in the last 5 years the keyboards have been horrible and even with some accommodations by Apple for the problem they still refuse to fix lots of the MBP keyboards that fail making the unit totally useless.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Way over priced. I remember the $5,000 Macintosh FX (junk) and the various Mac Pro models at $3000 each that are now worth less than $200. If you can't make extra money with this new M1 Max boat anchor, best to leave it for someone else to buy. Get a standard $500 to $1000 laptop and it will work fine for ANY personal computer need. :D
How can you edit multi-camera Pro-Res video edit on a $500 laptop?

If you have no idea about what you are talking about how about staying silent instead of giving an example from 30 years ago?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Apple laptops use to have a great repair record but in the last 5 years the keyboards have been horrible and even with some accommodations by Apple for the problem they still refuse to fix lots of the MBP keyboards that fail making the unit totally useless.
And this has any link to the CPUs that’s being discussed on this thread, how?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

amper42

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How can you edit multi-camera Pro-Res video edit on a $500 laptop?

If you have no idea about what you are talking about how about staying silent instead of giving an example from 30 years ago?

If you are editing multi-camera Pro-Res video you can do that with a standard MacBook Pro. The MBP is sold advertising it can accomplish that task. In all likelihood, if that is your primary use then it's a business. Like I said if you can't make money from using this new $4000 Apple toy then save your money.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you are editing multi-camera Pro-Res video you can do that with a standard MacBook Pro. The MBP is sold advertising it can accomplish that task. In all likelihood, if that is your primary use then it's a business. Like I said if you can't make money from using this new $4000 Apple toy then save your money.

Latest MBP is not fully capable of editing multi-camera Pro-Res video due to two limiting factors. Lack of memory bandwidth and processing capacity. You can only scale up to multiple instances of editing software until you hit the limiter on memory bandwidth.

Top Bottom