• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Akitika GT-108 Stereo Amplifier Kit Review

Rate this amplifier kit:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 101 46.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 99 45.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 8 3.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 11 5.0%

• Total voters

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
it's a 50w 8 ohm amp admittedly double to 100w at 4 ohms...
Check out the review test results again please and confirm the max power output at 4R and 8R. :D
index.php

index.php

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Fair point, however I do wonder what audience it is aimed at? The distortion (THD & resultant IMD) and power supply noise is simply too high unfortunately to consider this in a positive way as representing value, to me.

JSmith
I say they should at least offer it as a bare PCBs parts kit and make the DIY assembler work for it for full effect. That would be a proper kit regardless of the really awkward design.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I say they should at least offer it as a bare PCBs parts kit and make the DIY assembler work for it for full effect. That would be a proper kit regardless of the really awkward design.

That's not a proper kit- this is a proper kit- give them full size artwork to make their own PCB (etching, drilling etc), only half a circuit diagram (work out the rest), a photo of a finished unit and maybe the sheet metal to bend up their own cabinet. They'd have to make their own BOM and source everything. Be mean, make it hard. ;)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That's not a proper kit- this is a proper kit- give them full size artwork to make their own PCB (etching, drilling etc), only half a circuit diagram (work out the rest), a photo of a finished unit and maybe the sheet metal to bend up their own cabinet. They'd have to make their own BOM and source everything. Be mean, make it hard. ;)
You are hardercoreeee! :D

daniboun

Major Contributor
Check out the review test results again please and confirm the max power output at 4R and 8R. :D
index.php

index.php

Hi,
Keep in mind that The GT-108 is optimized for driving 8 Ohm speakers, This is the discrete version of the GT-102.
The GT-102 Z4 will give the best results for 4R loads.
Whatever the case, it seems to me that the toroidal transformer is still undersized (230VA if I am not wrong),We
are a bit limited by the current....
The GT108 / GT102 are based on the TI LM3886, just like the LS3/5A or the Modulus-286 (ASR Measurements here)

Now let's face it.... this GT108 doesn't impress at all with its measurements. I would have even paired it with an SMPS PSU like Neurochrome did.

LM3886 done right should give you this :

https://neurochrome.com/products/lm3886-done-right (see performance graph)

1710837853790.png

DanielT

Major Contributor
Thanks for the test Amir.:)

SINAD, well could be accepted, or I could accept it anyway, if it had a little more power. Now, nop, especially considering the price. The kit is not super expensive but still.

Here, however, an affordable kit. Dual mono, based on a non load dependent kit. SINAD 102, 192 watts into 4 Ohms, 102 watts into 8 Ohms::)

It's a design that will take a little time and know-how, but it's worth it!
Count approximately between €350 / €400 for this project.
At this price, this amp will have no competition)
NB: It took me a short weekend to put everything into action.)

1702415359508 (3).png1702415388304.png

Last edited:

Golf

Isn’t this a review not only of a certain device but also of the workmanship (?) that went into assembling it?

daniboun

Major Contributor
Thanks for the test Amir.:)

SINAD, well could be accepted, or I could accept it anyway, if it had a little more power. Now, nop, especially considering the price. The kit is not super expensive but still.

Here, however, an affordable kit. Dual mono, based on a non load dependent kit. SINAD 102, 192 watts into 4 Ohms, 102 watts into 8 Ohms::)

It's a design that will take a little time and know-how, but it's worth it!
Count approximately between €350 / €400 for this project.
At this price, this amp will have no competition)
NB: It took me a short weekend to put everything into action.)

View attachment 357498View attachment 357499

Thanks for pointing my project ))))) :)
I can only agree with you)

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Isn’t this a review not only of a certain device but also of the workmanship (?) that went into assembling it?

Perhaps. If the assembly is a complete clown show, for sure. We don't know as we haven't seen nudies of the actual unit. Clearly, there's some serious ground/earth return problems, but it's most likely the 'designer' wasn't testing/tweaking things on the fly in real time. I mean, look at that mess around the spkr/RCA input/outputs in the posted pic.

He decided: "star earth here!" and bolted everything to that. Or "PSU GND is here!" and let's run all our wire from that.

I'd be pulling out the 'regulated' supply, running the supply +/- and taking my signal and output returns to common but separate points. Maybe put in another set of outputs and kill the current limiting. Obviously get rid of a capacitively coupled output- that has no place in any amplifier since 1972.

@amirm was very kind IMO and that's likely because anything that encourages people to pick up a soldering iron and have a go is mostly a good thing...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Obviously get rid of a capacitively coupled output- that has no place in any amplifier since 1972.
Hahaha. Yeppers. The sound in the speakers on power down like a sizzle and frazzle as the capacitor discharges must be alarming. :D

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
View attachment 357441

A User Testimonial​

"Completed the GT-108 and all went according to your excellent Assembly Manual, which is reminiscent of the old Dynaco and Heath kit manuals. Very well done indeed. Particularly enjoyed the Theory of Operation section.

More importantly is how excellent the GT-108 sounds. It is dead-quiet through my Cornwall III's. The improvement to the clarity and richness of the sound, compared to my Yamaha R-S500 receiver's PA section, was impressive, like getting brand new eyeglasses. You might be interested to know that my preamp and source include a Schiit SAGA S preamp and MANI phono preamp, Pro-Jext Debut EVO turntable with a Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge. The system sounds just fantastic now, thanks to your GT-108.

Best Regards

Fort Worth Audiophile"

from https://www.akitika.com/GT108.html
Truth is mid range Yamaha A-S 50x, R-S 500 or R-N803 runs around in circles around this regarding performance, output power and long run reliability. For the price of about 500$ you can find if you are lucky brand new A-S 700 with great unbalanced input of 110 dB SNR and there for very, very quiet (for unbalanced).

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kit is bit special , the idea is that someone is able to solder it together and roll their own amp for the fun off it.

Industrialized automatic mass production beats artisan work all the time for actual quality for your money.

Maybe someone that knows should open a recommended kits tread :) it sure must be better ones than this

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For around 650 usd I can buy an NC502MP based amp that runs circles around this in lower noise and distortion, way higher power, smaller and lighter.

Top Bottom