• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

AIYIMA A07 TPA3255 Review (Amplifier)

simosm

Is there seriously no 'laptop power brick' style power supply that would get this forum's seal of approval?

Also what is the 30V regulated linear power supply you used in your tests? It would be quite interesting to end up with similar results.
From my search, I found the Mean Well GST series, for my A04 I am thiking to get GST160A24, for A07 you can look into the higher W and V models. Plus you will need the 5.5x2.5mm plug converter.

pma

Major Contributor

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

hestejoe

Sorry if I sound like a complete noob here, but is my understanding correct that volts basically shouldn't matter as long as they are between 24-48. Given that range then basically more ampere will give stronger output. Finally, it should be a certified power supply with a 5.5 x 2.5 mm Plug.

As far as I can see Amir had it playing ok with 3amps but better still with 5. I can order one that is seemingly EU certified and can deliver
24V 5A 120W off of amazon. I can even pay more for 6.25A or less for 4A. Should that at least expect to get me appropriate sounds out of that amp? I am not necessarily aiming for the absolute optimal here. Good enough for a few months on used speakers is what I need.

mihvas

A good, but expensive, way to reduce power-supply noise is to put a second low-noise regulator on the power-supply output. This often involves a low-dropout (LDO) linear regulator. It will reduce any output ripple by an order of magnitude or more.
(Ripple is the inherent ac component of the output voltage caused by the internal switching of the power supply. Noise is the manifestation of parasitics within the power supply that appear as high frequency voltage spikes on the output voltage. )

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Take a step down to the GST220 that uses the power miniDIN and there will be adapters available. They don't at this level because you'll be hard pushed to find a barrel connector rated for the current.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Take a step down to the GST220 that uses the power miniDIN and there will be adapters available. They don't at this level because you'll be hard pushed to find a barrel connector rated for the current.

I have 8 Ohm speakers with 70W rated power speakers (peak) so i was trying to follow Amir’s advice and getting high voltage high amperage PSU.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I have 8 Ohm speakers with 70W rated power speakers (peak) so i was trying to follow Amir’s advice and getting high voltage high amperage PSU.
In that case you'll have to make an adapter, find a custom adapter maker, or chop the end off and solder on a barrel connector with the highest current rating you can find.

Toku

Major Contributor
Minimum specified supply voltage for the 3255 is 18V but the undervoltage protection doesn't cut in until 14.5V according to the datasheet. On that basis I would expect it to be marginal but workable, even if there's reverse polarity protection dropping it a bit. It's possible there's something else in the implementation around it that sets a higher limit though. Power output would obviously be limited (see datasheet again.)You could get an A04 instead - that would be better suited to the low supply voltage.
I tested my AIYIMA A07 with a 19V AC adapter for a laptop PC.
The result worked perfectly fine. From this, the minimum operating voltage of TPA3255 is 18V as shown in the data sheet.
Your opinion is correct.

However, you will feel a slight decrease in sound quality when playing at high volume.

Last edited:

Jim85IROC

The Aiyima D05 has more functions and features, but maybe not as low distortion for some applications. The TAS5352 amplifier IC is very old (current TAS5352 DS is 2007) and is NOT recommended for new designs.

Aiyima D05 Chips set: CM6642, TAS5508, TAS5352A, QCC3008, CS8422, WM8782

View attachment 107442

View attachment 107443
I just ordered one of these for my inlaws. I don't have the equipment to do any testing, but I do plan to do a basic function check and listening test before I give it to them. I expect it to have adequate power and to sound fine. That TAS5352A might be old, but the published distortion profile should be perfectly inaudible.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The result worked perfectly fine. From this, the minimum operating voltage of TPA3255 is 18V as shown in the data sheet.
Your opinion is correct.

However, you will feel a slight decrease in sound quality when playing at high volume.

Thank you so much!

my speakers actually averages on 8 Ohm and peak to 12 Ohm at the sub-bass, so it will be an interesting experiment.

hestejoe

Your opinion is correct.

How many Ampere did it have and how loud could it get? I am considering a 24V 4A (96W) brick which according to a friend with a degree in electronics should be plenty for some living room listening (not trying to open a dance club).

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How many Ampere did it have and how loud could it get? I am considering a 24V 4A (96W) brick which according to a friend with a degree in electronics should be plenty for some living room listening (not trying to open a dance club).

the laptop brick he tested probably has really high amperage, if he had an 4 ohm speaker he can probably get it fairly loud. these laptop bricks can output up to 200W at 19 Volt.

for a dorm room even 30 W would be more than enough.

Lambda

Major Contributor
The lower the voltage the higher the input current and the lower stored energy in the capacitor's
Therefore lower voltage can significantly increase stress on the components and lower performance!

mihvas

The lower the voltage the higher the input current and the lower stored energy in the capacitor's
Therefore lower voltage can significantly increase stress on the components and lower performance!
Wrong! It depends on total power. And less voltage mean lower Temperature and longer life.

Lambda

Major Contributor
And less voltage mean lower Temperature and longer life
No, the opposite is True!
With the same output power the higher the input power the lower input current (since efficacy stays about the same)
Therefore more Restive loss.
Higher voltage means exponentially more power in the Capacitors.
Mosfet Rdson stays effectively the same with higher voltage.

If you make statements like this. you have at least to explain why you thin this is...

Top Bottom