• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima A07 Max Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 32 12.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 117 47.2%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 79 31.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 20 8.1%

• Total voters

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you can't produce a product well enough to not fail basic testing, maybe you shouldn't be in the business at all.
And maybe you shouldn't send your wares to one of the few reviewers that do proper testing. :facepalm:
Previous products from Aiyima were pretty good without any fails. So i do hope Aiyima is so transparent, that they 1. Send samples in for free for measurements and 2. They dont seem to cherry pick their samples.

I understand your thoughts, but I think you gotta give credit where credit is due.

Last edited:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I understand your thoughts, but I think you gotta praise where praise is due.
This thread doesn't praise the companies previous wins because they don't matter to the tested product.

Praise is not due, the product failed with a bad channel balance and a weak power supply.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your previous post appears to condemn both the company and their ethnicity (in the linked reference), not just this specific product.
I nor anyone else in this thread condemned anyone for their ethnicity. You made that up in your mind.

As for the company, i wouldn't have condemned them if they didn't send a bad product to Amir for testing.
I don't think we should praise them for this.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
@amirm - Any possibility that you can spot-test the Aiyima-supplied 36v power supply to determine if your sample is putting out lower amps than spec? That claim was made by another but I have not seen anyone do a follow-up. That would be really good to know for people who are using the MAX and there seems to be a strong batch of folks who say they like it better than the Fosi V3.

To all - could the distortion on the R channel be linked to a bad volume pot, or is this more likely to be something with the pcb or components?

AltoVariago

Hi AltoVariago,

I am assuming that you don't mean this in a derogatory manner towards all Chinese people. We have a Forum specific Policy to avoid this description. Therefore, we kindly request our Members avoid using this terminology “Chi-fi” as it can have negative connotations for such companies and individuals.

Thank you for your cooperation and understanding in this regard. ;)
Dear Adam,

I do not see any negative connotations in this term describing a class of equipments made in China and characterized by small dimensions, affordable prices and outstanding performances. I think that by banning this term you are giving it a negative connotation, to my eyes is like ask avoiding the term Chicago style pizza.

However, if this is the policy, I will glad to comply. What is an acceptable way of calling this particular class of equipment?

Thanks.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Dear Adam,

I do not see any negative connotations in this term describing a class of equipments made in China and characterized by small dimensions, affordable prices and outstanding performances. I think that by banning this term you are giving it a negative connotation, to my eyes is like ask avoiding the term Chicago style pizza.

However, if this is the policy, I will glad to comply. What is an acceptable way of calling this particular class of equipment?

Thanks.
This is not a debate. Our house our rules. You don’t like them, go elsewhere. The way you used the term it was intended as an insult. I gave you the benefit of the doubt and you have just proven your ignorance and arrogance. We have no room here for racism of any kind. Bye bye now. :mad:

Guddu

There is an interesting ongoing ASR discussion of Aiyima /Fosi /Douk power supplies here. Post 21 shows the manufacturer as Huizhou Fujia Appliance Tech and links to the brand's device report where I do not see model FS-SW21283606000D from Amir's 36v photo. I do see a photo with this same model FJ-SW21283606000D in this post listed
as a 48v 5A power supply. I think the 48v source photo was from a since removed Ali Express listing, not Aiyima itself, so it is possible some photoshop was involved.
Yes, I am aware of it. In fact, I did mention about some differences and manufacturer (Shenzhen Fujia) post #17 in the same thread.
I have checked the voltage out is correct (with a multimeter), however I don't have anything to test if these output labelled amperage to accuracy and that's why I was wondering if Amir (or anyone) could test if possible.

Fleuch

The 48V/5A power supply available with the Aiyima 07Max is model FJ-SW21284805000D with the input rated at100-240V~50/60Hz 6.3A. An earlier post on ASR suggested the power supplies could be found on https://en.sz-fujia.com/Home.html. Although there are several FJ-SW2xxx parts listed, the exact equivalent cannot be found on the website.

This photo is taken from AliExpress:
1701196510744.jpeg

The rated output of this power supply, rule of thumb, is 48*5 = 240W; this is the absolute maximum that can be the total amplifier output, or at most 120W per channel.

A similar argument suggests the maximum output using the 36V/6A power supply is at most 108W per channel. To achieve the advertised 300W per channel requires a 48V/12.5A power supply - but this is only "rule of thumb" and there will be losses that need to be factored in, as well as the prospect of the amplifier itself becoming a overheated hot pad for boiling water in a saucepan! The advertised claims for power output are somewhat extravagant.

digicidal

Major Contributor
I guess the only way to make some people happy would be SOTA performance, a literally bullet-proof product, for a lower price than a fart in a mall, and with a dedicated customer service representative on speed-dial. While I would also like this pipe-dream to become reality... I definitely wouldn't ever want the misfortune of owning such a business. :p

On this particular class of products however, I don't really have skin anyway - I only have one garage, and a stack of working AVRs from the past 35 years. Others may differ however. I will say my limited product experience with Topping and SMSL (admittedly on their "pricier" SKUs) has been flawless... Emotiva not so much... so I wouldn't consider the country of origin to be a valid litmus test. Shit products and service comes from all over - more true today than ever before IMO. ;)

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shit products and service comes from all over - more true today than ever before IMO. ;)
True! And, as Amir's history of testing shit Schiit and no shit! Schiit products proves, companies from all over can learn and improve, even in budget price ranges.:)

Lambda

Major Contributor
The rated output of this power supply, rule of thumb, is 48*5 = 240W; this is the absolute maximum that can be the total amplifier output, or at most 120W per channel.
Yes the continuous "real power" can’t be more.
But you seam to forget 2 things.

Speakers are not Resistive loads! some of the power you put in comes back our as reactive power.
Music is not a Continuous load. even modern music hast some Dynamic.

T&T

@amirm - Any possibility that you can spot-test the Aiyima-supplied 36v power supply to determine if your sample is putting out lower amps than spec? That claim was made by another but I have not seen anyone do a follow-up. That would be really good to know for people who are using the MAX and there seems to be a strong batch of folks who say they like it better than the Fosi V3.

To all - could the distortion on the R channel be linked to a bad volume pot, or is this more likely to be something with the pcb or components?
I just read a review at Amazon that said sound better with Muses02 than with Sparkos, so that answer the question Fosi V3 and 07Max are not a copy, even circuit are different...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
OK, for the third time I unpacked this amp to measure its power supply. Review is updated. Here is a shot at 6amp draw:

index.php

It gives up a bit of voltage but it is doing what its spec is more or less is saying. It has even more reserve current ability (limited by my electronic load):

index.php

Seems like a capable power supply despite having no markings as to who produced it.

Guddu

OK, for the third time I unpacked this amp to measure its power supply. Review is updated. Here is a shot at 6amp draw:

index.php

It gives up a bit of voltage but it is doing what its spec is more or less is saying. It has even more reserve current ability (limited by my electronic load):

index.php

Seems like a capable power supply despite having no markings as to who produced it.
Thank you very much.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
BTW, on that Amazon review, while I am not familiar with that electronic load, he seems to have set it to 3 amp and that is what he got. I think his issue was it shutting down above that, not that it can't produce more than 3 amp per se. Seems like he got a faulty power supply or testing was wrong. I tried to post a review on Amazon but it says due to "unusual activity" it won't get non-verified buyers post reviews. :(

MCH

Major Contributor
Can anyone explain the higher noise with the 48v PSU? At the risk of saying something silly: Is the gain different?
1701208191875.png

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can anyone explain the higher noise with the 48v PSU? At the risk of saying something silly: Is the gain different?
View attachment 330135
I checked the gain and got it as close as I could. As I noted in the review, it could be caused by the amp getting noisier at higher operating voltage. Or this power supply has more noise and the amp is not filtering it out. The former could be checked by looking at the TI chip spec.

Top Bottom