• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Aiyima A07 Max Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 32 12.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 118 46.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 80 31.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 22 8.7%

• Total voters

Sokel

Master Contributor
What's funny is that in this hobby people pay good money (and some really good money) for a speaker that advertises matching performance down to the last fraction of db so they have a nice and rock solid image and on the other hand some give a free pass to a huge imbalance like this.
Cost wouldn't up sooo much with a nicer pot,they just cheap it out to the point of no return.

Hard pass.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Not very wise of Aiyima to send a product to be reviewed without having tested it first...
Do you expect a manufacturer to individually test every $70 product that goes out the door? Indeed, the idea that a manufacturer would "cherry pick" a product sample and send that one to a reviewer such as Amir who has influence - that's what we don't want to have happen, right?

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
While the channel imbalance surely isnt the best sign, you got to point out that the amp actually seems to perform better in the thd departement than its official spec suggests (0.007%)

Toni Mas

While the channel imbalance surely isnt the best sign, you got to point out that the amp actually seems to perform better in the thd departement than its official spec suggests (0.007%)
Yes probably good enough for me. Would even pay up to 30-50% more to avoid any risk of rma. Just for manufacturer information.

Sokel

Master Contributor

Which THD,left or right?
In Amir's measurement H2 on one channel is at -105db and on the other channel at -85db!
All the measurements shows differences,look at the power it delivers for example,13 watt more at peak for one channel.
And all that with the pot nearly all the way open.
What would happen with the pot at 1/4 of it's rotation where things get serious?

Toni Mas

Which THD,left or right?

In Amir's measurement H2 on one channel is at -105db and on the other channel at -85db!
All the measurements shows differences,look at the power it delivers for example,13 watt more at peak for one channel.
And all that with the pot nearly all the way open.

What would happen with the pot at 1/4 of it's rotation where things get serious?
Sure. I mean as good as a TPA3255 + NE5532 generic me-too piece of gear can be if basic manufacturing cares (cost no object) are taken.

Last edited:

Guddu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not very wise of Aiyima to send a product to be reviewed without having tested it first...
It is probably better if they just sent it from any distribution center, if there is an issue then it must be found.

AltoVariago

I find this statement offensive. I see good participation here from the Chinese manufacturers. Product variations are to be expected in this product cost segment.
The overall reliability of Chi-fi amps is ridiculous. The statement is not offensive as it reflects reality.

They are manufacturing wonderful pieces of equipment. To have them to perform correctly and for more than two weeks would be good for us and for the Chinese.

PS: given the international tensions, I am very glad of this. Should the Chinese try to fire something on us, it is very unlikely it will hit us and there is a good chance it will hit them!

AltoVariago

Do you expect a manufacturer to individually test every $70 product that goes out the door? Indeed, the idea that a manufacturer would "cherry pick" a product sample and send that one to a reviewer such as Amir who has influence - that's what we don't want to have happen, right?
To market such a piece of s*** is ridiculous. Channel imbalance of 20dB is something making an amp unusable.

Brian-from-Seattle

Love all the work that goes into these @amirm . I am on this forum way way too much. I bought this amp only to use it in mono, and with a 48V power supply (largely because of the results of your tests on the Fosi V3). I would LOVE to see what this produces in terms of good mono power with that power supply. It sounds as good or better than the V3 to me. Even if the channel imbalance is a besetting issue, I think there are many here who would be interested in it with this kind of SINAD for one channel.

JSmith

Master Contributor
It's generally best to avoid that term if possible, thanks in advance;

JSmith

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It would be great if someone else could test for channel imbalance to compare to Amir's...probably a production run issue with these cheaper pots, there will be some units that are better than others? A shame that volume pots cause so much of an issue in many of these sub-$200 items, both US made (e.g., Schiit) and the Chinese makers...
One has to ask if this level of channel imbalance is audible.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks @amirm !
I second the request for mono mode test, see if it has some more juice, as it is the differentiator of this amp.
can't wait to see the "600 watts" magically appear.;)

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In searching ASR tests for "channel imbalance", the previous amp tested with an issue was the $500 Denon PMA-600NE. I am not finding another Aiyima amp, or other small class D amp tested with this issue. It does not seem to be a common modern speaker amp problem, at least at normal gain levels.

Let me know if I am wrong on this, but it appears that tying this this defect to a particular class of amp or place of origin is not aligned with actual evidence.

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
To market such a piece of s*** is ridiculous. Channel imbalance of 20dB is something making an amp unusable.
I don't think you are reading the graphs Amir provided correctly. Looks like a ~1 db channel imbalance to me. Not ideal, but not something many would even hear.

What is odder (and more troubling) to me is the distortion Amir noted on the one channel in the midrange. That's making me suspect a defective volume pot.

Some folks are reporting they really like the sound of the MAX compared to the Fosi V3. I can't say I notice a sound difference, but I think the volume pot on the Fosi is a bit better and with the same power brick in use, the Fosi can play a bit louder. But the original A07 can play louder still.

Top Bottom