• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3e audio TPA3255 260-2-29A Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier (kit):

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 53 20.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 194 76.4%

• Total voters

Urib

This is a review and detailed measurements of the 3e audio 260-2-29A TPA3255 chip based stereo amplifier. It was sent to me by the company as a complete unit even though they only sell the amplifier modules.
View attachment 332196
As you see, it is a generic box which is something you can easily build yourself. I don't know what power supply is in there. Will fill in when I know. Cost is US $109 for the stereo amplifier module.

Back side of the reference design:
View attachment 332210
The differentiation here is implementation of "PFFB" which stands for post-filter feedback design. Without this, the required output filter will interact with speaker load, varying the frequency response of the amplifier. High cost amplifiers from likes of Hypex and Purifi have this but budget amplifiers usually do not. I am told there are other optimizations to extract best performance out of this class D IC.

This testing is for the stereo module. I was also sent a mono amp which I will test soon.

3e audio TPA3255 Stereo Amplifier Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard:
View attachment 332197

Wow, I wasn't expect such good performance! Distortion is below threshold of hearing at nearly -120 dB. Noise performance then sets SINAD to 102 dB which easily lands the amplifier in our "Excellent" bucket:
View attachment 332198

Zooming in:
View attachment 332199

SNR is great for 16 bit content even at 5 watts and approaches state of the art at full power:
View attachment 332200

Frequency response shows the effect of PFFB:

View attachment 332201

Multitone shows that distortion in low to mid-frequencies is great but there is some degradation at upper end of hearing range:
View attachment 332202

This is reflected naturally in our 19+20 kHz test as well:
View attachment 332203

Crosstalk is better than average:
View attachment 332204

There is plenty of power on tap:
View attachment 332205

View attachment 332206
View attachment 332207

Notice the very low noise floor above competing with "big boys" of class D amplification there!

As noted, there is some weakness at higher frequencies:
View attachment 332208

There is no standby switch so I had to fully power cycle the amp to get the on/off noise:
View attachment 332209

Conclusions
I am amazed and pleased to see how much performance is extracted out of the TPA3255 class D amplifier IC here. Clearly a good designer is at work here. Noise and distortion are kept at a minimum while producing lots of power. There is some increased distortion at higher frequencies but that is a small consideration in the context of this class of amplification.

I am happy to recommend the 3e audio TPA 3255 amplification kits and products.
------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Where can I buy a complete assembled unit? I saw in their website that they have also monoblck version.

brunes

Is there some crtical mass to enquire about a ghent audio case with suitable mounting holes for the board and power supplies?

daniboun

Major Contributor
If they use a dual TP3255, one per channel, basically two mono amps in one board, the chip must be configured as PBTL
My bad, right ) But this review made me ask a few questions, I quote:

1702112780516.png

Zek

Major Contributor
Where can I buy a complete assembled unit?
Probably nowhere now, because the manufacturer said that he has no possibility to complete the amplifier himself.
Probably some third party will make a complete amplifier with this module.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Is there some crtical mass to enquire about a ghent audio case with suitable mounting holes for the board and power supplies?

When I based myself on my first research, I thought of a very simple solution for novice DIYers regarding the case.
In my opinion this solution may work for everyone, check it out anyway (The dimensions should be re-checked) :

For 40€ +13€, you get the GX183 Alu case + rear pre-drilled panel XLR / IEC / Speakers)

Sokel

Master Contributor
Is there any sort of dissipation chart for the module (s) ?
That would help choosing a case that can help with the thermals.

I'm sure TI must have one concerning the chip alone but a whole module one would help too.

Reactions: MCH

daniboun

Major Contributor
Is there any sort of dissipation chart for the module (s) ?
That would help choosing a case that can help with the thermals.

I'm sure TI must have one concerning the chip alone but a whole module one would help too.
That's a good question !
You should ask 3E Audio directly I think. But the aluminum heatsink seems really well designed and massive
I'm setting up a DIY project on a 3E Audio dual Mono base, and I found a great case (with good price) that could answer your question

3E Audio heatsink

1669033522744-jpeg.1112041

Sokel

Master Contributor
That's a good question !
You should ask 3E Audio directly I think. But the aluminum heatsink seems really well designed and massive
I'm setting up a DIY project on a 3E Audio dual Mono base, and I found a great case (with good price) that could answer your question

3E Audio heatsink

1669033522744-jpeg.1112041
Clumsy and dirty,considering power and efficiency (200 watt/80-90%) I would expect a 15-25 watt power dissipation (depending use and PSU) without considering PSU needs.for peace of mind.

I don't think that plate is anywhere near that.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Clumsy and dirty,considering power and efficiency (200 watt/80-90%) I would expect a 15-25 watt power dissipation (depending use and PSU) without considering PSU needs.for peace of mind.

I don't think that plate is anywhere near that.

@3eaudio > Any data for this ?
As long as I'm there I have no idea of the dissipation required for the Hypex Ncore modules, but their heat sink is similar to this one, the same for the Purifi and Nilai.

The recommended heatsinks by TI are basically the ones below
BTW, If I am not wrong the SYLPHAUDIO D400M modules use it. See here :

Last edited:

brunes

When I based myself on my first research, I thought of a very simple solution for novice DIYers regarding the case.
In my opinion this solution may work for everyone, check it out anyway (The dimensions should be re-checked) :

For 40€ +13€, you get the GX183 Alu case + rear pre-drilled panel XLR / IEC / Speakers)

Nice find. I'm not keen on drilling the holes but this is a nice workaround!

daniboun

Major Contributor

Sokel

Master Contributor

daniboun

Major Contributor

sarieri

Forum Donor
That's TI's chip chart,it should help a little.

View attachment 332756

Power loss=heat (in watt).Note that Tc (case temperature,means the temperature on the case the chip ,the actual chip itself in other words,measured right on it) is at 75° C .
In hypex NcoreX manual, it is clearly specified that there should be at least 2mm thick aluminum for heat dissipation. Unfortunately, the hottest spot is still around 65 Celsius even idle.

I personally found hypex module to be much more hotter than this one. Hypex’s heat sink is also nowhere as robust as this one.

vicenzo_del_paris

Forum Donor
The margins applied by manufacturers vary greatly from one assembler to another.... A good example here for the same Stereo module amp :

Buckeye NC252MP = 600€
Boxem NC252MP = 750€
Audiophonics NC252MP = 479€
VTV NC252MP = 600€

The biggest difference comes close to €271 which is huge...Knowing that at €479 Audiophonics already generates a very generous margin...
You cannot compare apples and pears.
While all of these amps are indeed hypex nc252 integrations, they deliver different propositions as they have different features and build quality.
A while ago, I was considering these 4 ones among others when I was looking for an hypex amp.
In the end, I opted in for the @boXem one.
Why?
- Audio sense feature was a key element
- Careful integration that takes all details and heap dissipation into account
- Casing form factor and quality
- Close and easy contact with the manufacturer.
- Manufacturer location.

If you look at tear downs of these amps, not all of them are equal.

Price and even performances are not the only criteria. Features, build quality, long term behaviour must also be part of the equation.

frabor

You cannot compare apples and pears.
While all of these amps are indeed hypex nc252 integrations, they deliver different propositions as they have different features and build quality.
A while ago, I was considering these 4 ones among others when I was looking for an hypex amp.
In the end, I opted in for the @boXem one.
Why?
- Audio sense feature was a key element
- Careful integration that takes all details and heap dissipation into account
- Casing form factor and quality
- Close and easy contact with the manufacturer.
- Manufacturer location.

If you look at tear downs of these amps, not all of them are equal.

Price and even performances are not the only criteria. Features, build quality, long term behaviour must also be part of the equation.
Hard to asses long term behavior on a product that has not been out for a long time and that get discontinued pretty fast . Furthermore, in the case of most low volume integrators, they mostly set OEM parts with some with some extra in case customization to the oem blocks . The longevity of the amp is 95% on the longevity of the OEM amp and and/or OEM supply. Using passive cooling via an aluminum block thermally attached to the amp and case is sufficient in most cases. In the 3eaudio TPA3255, unless you run tones or other almost constant signal at 10%+ distortion , I doubt that playing music you will see more than 10-15 Watts sustained power dissipation, and for that heat you do not need a lot of metal to keep the tpa3255 at optimal or below. That is about the same heat as a 11" ipad, and the Apple device is sealed and passive.

In as much as we all like nice casings and tactile machine detented aluminum knobs, and unless horrible implemented, the enclosures in this class of products add very little value to the longevity or performance of the module amp for as long as the spec sheet instructions are followed. Up to a point, the more that is spent in flashy packing, the less value you get. And many of this amps the only user input is a power switch.

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Hard to asses long term behavior on a product that has not been out for a long time and that get discontinued pretty fast . Furthermore, in the case of most low volume integrators, they mostly set OEM parts with some with some extra in case customization to the oem blocks . The longevity of the amp is 95% on the longevity of the OEM amp and and/or OEM supply. Using passive cooling via an aluminum block thermally attached to the amp and case is sufficient in most cases. In the 3eaudio TPA3255, unless you run tones or other almost constant signal at 10%+ distortion , I doubt that playing music you will see more than 10-15 Watts sustained power dissipation, and for that heat you do not need a lot of metal to keep the tpa3255 at optimal or below. That is about the same heat as a 11" ipad, and the Apple device is sealed and passive.

In as much as we all like nice casings and tactile machine detented aluminum knobs, and unless horrible implemented, the enclosures in this class of products add very little value to the longevity or performance of the module amp for as long as the spec sheet instructions are followed. Up to a point, the more that is spent in flashy packing, the less value you get. And many of this amps the only user input is a power switch.
You must also add PSU power loss and need for cooling to the above if in the same case.
And power losses on PSUs depends on quality and power ability.

There's tons of thermal example design out there,a nice one with all calculations is this :

brunes

Nice find. I'm not keen on drilling the holes but this is a nice workaround!
-think the Dimensions are too small.
SMPS MP-H250S48 is 126 x66 and the 3e audio TPA3255 is 120 x 85 so I make that 246mm long for the 230mm case.

DId I miss something were you stacking or overlapping?

Urib

This is a review and detailed measurements of the 3e audio 260-2-29A TPA3255 chip based stereo amplifier. It was sent to me by the company as a complete unit even though they only sell the amplifier modules.
View attachment 332196
As you see, it is a generic box which is something you can easily build yourself. I don't know what power supply is in there. Will fill in when I know. Cost is US $109 for the stereo amplifier module.

Back side of the reference design:
View attachment 332210
The differentiation here is implementation of "PFFB" which stands for post-filter feedback design. Without this, the required output filter will interact with speaker load, varying the frequency response of the amplifier. High cost amplifiers from likes of Hypex and Purifi have this but budget amplifiers usually do not. I am told there are other optimizations to extract best performance out of this class D IC.

This testing is for the stereo module. I was also sent a mono amp which I will test soon.

3e audio TPA3255 Stereo Amplifier Measurements
As usual we start with our dashboard:
View attachment 332197

Wow, I wasn't expect such good performance! Distortion is below threshold of hearing at nearly -120 dB. Noise performance then sets SINAD to 102 dB which easily lands the amplifier in our "Excellent" bucket:
View attachment 332198

Zooming in:
View attachment 332199

SNR is great for 16 bit content even at 5 watts and approaches state of the art at full power:
View attachment 332200

Frequency response shows the effect of PFFB:

View attachment 332201

Multitone shows that distortion in low to mid-frequencies is great but there is some degradation at upper end of hearing range:
View attachment 332202

This is reflected naturally in our 19+20 kHz test as well:
View attachment 332203

Crosstalk is better than average:
View attachment 332204

There is plenty of power on tap:
View attachment 332205

View attachment 332206
View attachment 332207

Notice the very low noise floor above competing with "big boys" of class D amplification there!

As noted, there is some weakness at higher frequencies:
View attachment 332208

There is no standby switch so I had to fully power cycle the amp to get the on/off noise:
View attachment 332209

Conclusions
I am amazed and pleased to see how much performance is extracted out of the TPA3255 class D amplifier IC here. Clearly a good designer is at work here. Noise and distortion are kept at a minimum while producing lots of power. There is some increased distortion at higher frequencies but that is a small consideration in the context of this class of amplification.

I am happy to recommend the 3e audio TPA 3255 amplification kits and products.
------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
The new Wiim amp is based on this chip. Let's hope that the implementation was excellent as well.

Top Bottom