• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

3e audio TPA3255 260-2-29A Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier (kit):

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 53 20.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 194 76.4%

• Total voters

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Performances are great, but I voted fine (and I feel I was generous). I thought it was sold as a complete kit, but I now understand that what you get from 3E Audio is a amp. board, and optionally a PSU...

3E Audio webpage is about EAUMT-0XX0-X-FB modules (the "old" module?), but their AliExpress store--what they link from the webpage--lists 480-1-29A, 480-29A-NHS, 260-2-29A-NHS, and 260-2-29A as the available modules. Are they the same? So, I jumped into the general description, and it also talks about two TPA3251-based modules. What are those? It also appears that there are inductor options... but can you can select them? What is the expected impact? Is it up to 3E Audio, based on parts availability?
I found all of this very confusing and would have no clue what to order to get exactly what Amir tested: it looks like 260-29A-no-NHS is what Amir tested, but I am not sure.

3E Audio has some work to do to improve their description, clarify which module is what and identify any option/variant.

frabor

3e audio has a good ongoing reputation on DIYAUDIO.COM Their modules are able to achieve the performance stated on their web page and TI specs sheet. The TPA325X has two main variants, the 51 and 55. 51 has a lower power and less distortion while the 55 has higher power and lower distortion. A properly implemented TPA325X has such nice performance, that even the "high distortion" variant will have amazing specs. I always found the 55 to be the most desirable of both.

The TPA325X (link to spec sheet) has four amplifier sections. They can be run single (1x), stereo (BTL bridge-tied load) and mono (PBTL Parallel Bridge-tied load) (link to Wikipedia)

1701979122483.png

A sample pic showing the 4 channel

1701979252043.png

In the 3eaudio spec sheet of the the amp PFFB module (is pretty clear: one class of inductors (7G23B and APG2923) are better than the other.

1701976468262.png

But in the web site only the 29A TPA3255 version is available both in mono (480-1-29A) and stereo (260-2-29A). So, as of now, you do not have the choice of the inductor. Out of the inductors listed on the 29A, only one is the premium model ( APG2923). Anyone who wants to know what inductor is used in the 29 versions of the board should ask 3E Audio prior to the order. Nevertheless, given the very nice performance, I would assume any will be more than acceptable

NOTE: In the reference material picture they are using the Coilcraft HA3588 (link to spec sheet) Coilcraft make excellent inductors, so if 3eaduidio has found a functional equivalent that meet or exceed the performance of the HA3588, I would feel confident to order any of them.

1701977764758.png

Last edited:

totti1965

This is a review and detailed measurements of the 3e audio TPA3255 chip based stereo amplifier. It was sent to me as a complete unit even though it is sold as a kit.
View attachment 332196
As you see, it is a generic box which is something you can easily build yourself. I don't know what power supply is in there. Will fill in when I know. Same with the cost.

Back side of the reference design:
View attachment 332210

I believe the module name is: 260-2-29A or EAUMT-0260-2-A. Cost seems to be US $90 for the amplifier module.

The differentiation here is implementation of "PFFB" which stands for post-filter feedback design. Without this, the required output filter will interact with speaker load, varying the frequency response of the amplifier. High cost amplifiers from likes of Hypex and Purifi have this but budget amplifiers usually do not. I am told there are other optimizations to extract best performance out of this class D IC.

This testing is for the stereo module. I was also sent a mono amp which I will test soon.
Was the implementation of PFFB only because the owner made some modifications and optimizations - and the owner personally wielded the soldering iron?
Were the optimizations only in the unit that the owner has sent to you, or is this quality available for every self-builder?
Where can I buy?

Hayatepilot

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Was the implementation of PFFB only because the owner made some modifications and optimizations - and the owner personally wielded the soldering iron?
Were the optimizations only in the unit that the owner has sent to you, or is this quality available for every self-builder?
Where can I buy?
I should have been more clear that the company sent this to me and not an owner.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Performances are great, but I voted fine (and I feel I was generous). I thought it was sold as a complete kit, but I now understand that what you get from 3E Audio is a amp. board, and optionally a PSU...

3E Audio webpage is about EAUMT-0XX0-X-FB modules (the "old" module?), but their AliExpress store--what they link from the webpage--lists 480-1-29A, 480-29A-NHS, 260-2-29A-NHS, and 260-2-29A as the available modules. Are they the same? So, I jumped into the general description, and it also talks about two TPA3251-based modules. What are those? It also appears that there are inductor options... but can you can select them? What is the expected impact? Is it up to 3E Audio, based on parts availability?
I found all of this very confusing and would have no clue what to order to get exactly what Amir tested: it looks like 260-29A-no-NHS is what Amir tested, but I am not sure.

3E Audio has some work to do to improve their description, clarify which module is what and identify any option/variant.
I agree this the very first thing I told to the 3e Audio guy. Make it easy )))
The version with improved inductors is only for the Chinese market for your info. This has been discussed in my thread.
If I were 3E audio I would change those esoteric names......

1701981271376.png

Last edited:

spacevector

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I have concerns about reliability of these modules - had two of the finished modules fail on me.

Troubleshooting was hard with messages being exchanged on Aliexpress and the seller asking me to desolder components and such.

Hopefully the company has made improvements.

Sokel

Master Contributor
It's another board, this exact one is 125 euro on aliexpress
View attachment 332333
Not sure about taxes but if you can get it for less than [french DIY site] asks why not? It's the same exact board. Chinese. Noname.

But at the same time you can get ICE Power 2x215W for 160 euro https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/ampl...stereo-amplifier-module-2x215w-4-p-17317.html so the choice doesn't seem that obvious. Add PSU, case and some minor stuff including wiring and 160 magically turns into 300-400.
For Icepower,this is an ancient model.
If someone wants ice power must either go for Edge versions or wait for the Conductor who put at rest the rising THD+N with freq once and for all.

daniboun

Major Contributor
I have concerns about reliability of these modules - had two of the finished modules fail on me.

Troubleshooting was hard with messages being exchanged on Aliexpress and the seller asking me to desolder components and such.

Hopefully the company has made improvements.
The SY-DAP2002 is a bad amp, it is a failure on the part of 3E Audio. But the new modules no longer have anything to do with it, a substantial effort has been made and the quality is now there. :)

daniboun

Major Contributor
For Icepower,this is an ancient model.
If someone wants ice power must either go for Edge versions or wait for the Conductor who put at rest the rising THD+N with freq once and for all.

The IcePower 125ASX2 has been measured here :

And found this about the IceEdge (XTZ amp)

1701982505241.png

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
The IcePower 125ASX2 has been measured here :

Yep,and as I said ancient.

Look at the 300a2 Edge (module costs about the same as the 3E but needs a good about 60V PSU):

300a2.PNG

..and the Conductor:

Conductor.PNG

A totally different league up high :)

sarieri

Forum Donor
I bought this amp board directly from 3e audio in china, paired with a Meanwell LRS-600 SMPS. Cost me $120 in total. For people in EU and US, you really think Topping or some other Chinese manufacture have better after-sales warranty? Their warranty has always been a joke, just pick the one with most value.

daniboun

Major Contributor
Yep,and as I said ancient.

Look at the 300a2 Edge (module costs about the same as the 3E but needs a good about 60V PSU):

View attachment 332380

..and the Conductor:

View attachment 332381

A totally different league up high :)

Yes but keep in mind, the XTZ Edge A2-300 (300A2) is a $550 amplifier )

About the Icepower Conductor :

Last edited:

Sokel

Master Contributor
Yes but keep in mind, the 300A2 is a $550 amplifier )
What is the Conductor ?
300a2 is a 170 euro (at most,it goes way down if you buy some) module.

The Conductor is the new one,not yet on market.

Hayatepilot

I have upgraded my 9-channel DIY amp for my active home cinema front and center speakers with 5 of the stereo modules (260-2-29A).
These modules ooze quality and nothing on the board gets hot unlike on the cheap TPA3255 modules where some voltage regulators get super hot.
I have no doubt that the modules from 3e Audio will last me for years and based on the performance I will probably never have the need to upgrade them.

I have chosen these modules because they are one of the few DIY solutions which are fully symmetrical. And they are still reasonably priced especially considering the performance.

Last edited:

douede

Thank you very much Amir for this test) Many of us were impatiently awaiting this review. I wanted to be the first to post lol : but I failed lol
For those who followed the original thread, you will find additional information below. The measurements that had already been done are consistent with those that were shared by Amir. I think we didn't have too much doubt about the performance of this module)

Original Thread :

I will soon share a new project based on the Dual Mono 3E Audio 480-1-29A modules for those interested ) The Mono module should perform a little better normally.

We should expect this for the Mono board : (let's now wait the other ASR review)
.../...

Hum, the reviewed amp seems to use this board (...315W @ 10% THD+N...111dBA dynamic range...) : https://www.3e-audio.com/amplifier-kits/tpa3255-2ch-260w/
...thus not the the PFFB board your thanks & thread are about (...125dBA... : https://www.3e-audio.com/amplifier-kits/tpa32xx-with-pffb/)

Last edited:

daniboun

Major Contributor

daniboun

Major Contributor
NOTE: In the reference material picture they are using the Coilcraft HA3588 (link to spec sheet) Coilcraft make excellent inductors, so if 3eaduidio has found a functional equivalent that meet or exceed the performance of the HA3588, I would feel confident to order any of them.
3E Audio shared a measurement graph in my thread with the 7G23B inductors, this special version is even a bit better )

PS : Should be fine to update the Sinad list now ( I am sure your are reading us) ))) Sinad List

Top Bottom